Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Literary Love: Top Ten Books to Make You Swoon

Are you writing about anything literary and lovey this week? Link your posts below!

I love a book that will make me swoon! (I'm playing fast and loose with the definition of swoon!) And so this Top Ten Tuesday prompt fits right in with Literary Love 2014. Get your smelling salts! Some are steamy, some are salty, some are sad, and some will provoke ALL THE FEELS.


I'm not much of a romancey reader, but there have been a few books with the loving element that have really stuck with me over the years. 

In Her Shoes, by Jennifer Weiner, was a delight. This story of sisters at odds has some fun sexytimes, quirky characters, and it's highly relatable (for me, earlier in life). Chick lit with heft. A winner. 

Bet Me, by Jennifer Crusie, left me incapable of looking at donuts the same. Ever again. Just read it. 

Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, has it all. Adventure, sexytimes, stinky Scottsmen. Swords. War. It'll grab you by the hair and refuse to let go. 

Atonement, by Ian McEwan, has a twist. I KNEW what the twist was, and it still left me in a pile of heaving sobs. 

Cold Mountain, by Charles Frazier, was one of those books that I found slow to start, but he has damn-near unparalleled storytelling ability. I loved the friendships between the women and the palpable sense of longing. 

Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert, is chock-full of people doing stupid things, but I still felt swoony at times. Sometimes provoked by bouncing carriages, sometimes by the grossness of death. This may be a big long classic, but it was a hell of a read.

Sister Carrie, by Theodore Dreiser, is an instance of American literary realism, and boy can Dreiser be crappy to his characters. Poor Carrie moves to the city and life kicks her in the crotch. But all the misery and detestableness is fun to experience on the page. 

Garden Spells, by Sarah Addison Allen, is a southern delight! I enjoyed this book from the first page with its magical realism and yumminess. 

Our Town, by Thornton Wilder, is an all-time favorite play. The last pages leveled me. Mostly because I'd seen that bit acted out on My So-Called Life as a teen. How's that for a flashback?


And finally, you know I had to include a book of short stories! I'm going with You Know When the Men Are Gone, by Siobhan Fallon. These tales of military life were sad! But oh so sensitive and well-written. 

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik