Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Top Ten Books to Make You Bawl!

Brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish!

Ahhh, here's a Top Ten Tuesday topic I can really get behind. Because I LOVE a book that will make me cry! And I'm really sorry that this reads like a repeat of my fave books from last year, but THESE BOOKS! Amazing.

 

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell is full of believable friendship, loss, devastation, but HOPE, too!

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller does a great job representing a deep and abiding young love. 

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett should be required reading for every young, and older, girl. There's a great family story here as well as a wonderful heroine in Tiffany Aching. 

 

Jojo Moyes must have a direct line to my tear ducts because she's on here twice. Both The Girl You Left Behind and Me Before You tore my heart UP at one time or another. 

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is full of raw honesty and emotion, and experiencing the world through Francie Nolan was a privilege. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++


A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is beautifully constructed and I got so invested in the characters I ended up sobbing on my couch at 1am. 

Mudboud by Hillary Jordan is full of trial and tribulation. It was devastating at times, but ultimately hopeful as well. 

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness happens to be the most recent of my Ness reading, but everything he writes makes me do the ugly cry. Every book in the Chaos Walking trilogy, plus A Monster Calls.


The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman crushed me in such a short space. There was one line in particular that left me doing the heaving sob thing. But it was SO GOOD. 

So yeah. If it'll break your heart, I'll eat it up! What are some books that made you cry? 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik