Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Top Ten Reasons I Love Being a Reader/Blogger/BookTuber

Hosted every week by The Broke and the Bookish!

I couldn't choose to talk about reading OR blogging, so I'm getting cheaterly and doing BOTH!

Why I'm tickled to be a reader...

1. I am constantly learning. Which is good, since I'm a life-long learner by nature. When I finished grad school, I thought my brain might shrivel up and die since I wasn't operating at the same level of intellectual stimulation, but I kept the reading train rolling and all is well.

2. I'm challenged intellectually and keep my analytical skills sharp. I enjoy analysis. I love a book that will force me to chew over a topic or a concept. These books are harder to find, but they're so much fun when I stumble upon them.

3. I am never bored. My mom hated to hear "I'm bored," when I was a teen, so I quickly learned to replace boredom with books.

4. Books = beauty. The book is a beautiful object...says the #coverho.

5. I can experience a world of possibilities, ideas, cultures, and scenarios. 'Nuff said.

Why I'm over the moon for blogging and BookTube...

6. I learn about scads of new books I wouldn't have known about otherwise. There used to be times I'd go into a bookstore and not really know what I wanted to read. Those days are LONG GONE.

7. My bookish friends entice me to challenge myself in innumerable ways. It's great to see how other readers are stretching their reading. Challenges, personal goals. It all rubs off on me.

8. I always have an outlet for writing. And I really miss it if I get out of the loop.

9. COMMUNITY. All the friends! All the conversation!

10. I feel a part of something bigger. I just don't have a lot of reading people in my everyday life. Being a blogger and BookTuber lets me feel the connection to other readers across the globe. That is pretty dang cool!



22 comments:

  1. Great top ten list! I couldn't have said it better myself. Although I still haven't gotten into BookTube... maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to entertain myself at a very young age because professing boredom always got me a list of chores. The bookcase in our hallway and I became fast friends. I love the worlds books whisk me away too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom was the same about being bored. If I ever said I was bored she was quick to give me 70 billion chores to do. I'll be over here reading, thanks!

    GREAT list, love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book friends are the best! Community is what hooked me on this crazy blog world. Now I'd be lost without y'all. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Community is really a great thing indeed!! Finding new books is such a great thing and book covers can be the prettiest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not heard of BookTube but I can take a guess at what it is ;) I just love that I am a reader and that there are others out there who get just as excited as I do over books and reading. I have gotten to know so many wonderful bloggers, yourself included, that it makes it just THAT much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this list! Would like to hear about some of the books you mentioned in #2 that have challenged your intellectually or with a new concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like being a part of a community too. it's funny how the book community can become such a big part of your life - I almost forget what it was like to have no one to talk to about books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great list! I love the learning aspect and feeling like you are a part of a community while sitting alone at my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having an outlet for writing is such an important one that I forgot about. Writing is truly almost like meditation for me even when it's just something silly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really awesome points! I totally agree with you :D

    My Top Ten this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fact that I find books physically pleasing made my list too. I used (and still do use) books to combat boredom. How else are supposed to pass the time waiting for the doctor/dentist/airplane/etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great list! I'm itching to go back and change mine now, but what has been done is done! Also, I have no idea what BookTube is. Guess I'll have to check it out at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this ttt and seeing everyone's reasons for being a reader and blogger.
    Awesome list <3

    Here's our TTT
    Doris @ OABR

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sense of community and being part of something bigger is what I missed most about blogging. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the community. Such a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you on being drawn to a great book cover. And the book community - people I’ve met through books and blogging are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Replace boredom with books." I want that as a bumper sticker!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your Top Ten list! Reading and blogging - so eye catching for all of us book bloggers! Definitely all the books I have found through other bloggers, and the good friends I have made, are the top for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the community, too. You guys are the BEST! I don't know a lot of readers, either. My sisters and mom are, but they do not enjoy discussing them. As if! John's eyes glaze over if I talk about books too much. He only reads really to learn something. He doesn't have the same passion as I do about them. That's why I love blogging. You are my TRIBE.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik