Thursday, March 27, 2014

Winter TBR Recap, and Spring's Intended Stack!

So I've been making these quarterly/seasonal TBRs for nearly a year now. Truthfully, they've brought me some of the best books I've read since I started formulating them. My reading has been good so far in 2014, but it seems a little lackluster in comparison to last year, and part of the reason might be this: I only read four of the 10 books on my Winter TBR! Gah! I blame this largely on the wedding and the holidays, but whatever the problem, I need to get back to my TBR!



I enjoyed Oracle Night, The Danger of Proximal Alphabets, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, and Monsters of Men immensely. In fact, I'd say Oracle Night and Weed are two highlights from the year. Further evidence that these lists work beautifully for me. 


Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic! These are the choices on my Spring TBR (March 20 - June 20). 
  • Small Wonder: Essays by Barbara Kingsolver because I loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and I think this collection will give me a springy feeling. - DNF
  • Fingersmith by Sarah Waters because I can always count on Waters to blow my socks off, and everyone says this is her best. 
  • Sula by Toni Morrison because I'm still trying to diversify my reading and Morrison is just amazing. 
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray because I enjoyed The Diviners and this book has been on my stacks for an embarrassingly long time. 
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo because classics! And I'm super excited to be reading this one along with Jennifer (@BHoNeg on Twitter). - in progress
  • Kamouraska by Anne Hebert because this was part of the lovely package Lydia sent my way at Christmas and it looks amazing. See also: diversifying my reading. Oh Canada! 
  • A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki because I bought the damn thing and haven't read it yet. It was a must-have-it-now purchase. 
  • Wise Children by Angela Carter because Carter is always a good idea. 
  • Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison because everyone needs to cry their eyes out sometime, right? 
  • The House Girl by Tara Conklin (not pictured) because I mentioned it earlier this week. Readalongs! - DNF
Whew! Will I be able to divide and conquer? I think I can, I think I can! 

Here's wishing you a kickass bunch of spring reading! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik