Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Top Ten Book Covers I'd Frame As Pieces of Art

Now THIS is a Top Ten Tuesday topic I can get behind! I haven't participated in this meme for a while now, but I absolutely could not resist this one! Because I'm a #coverho.


We all know I love a daringly-designed classic. I'm currently (supposed to be) reading Les Miserables with Never Jennifer (@BHoNeg), but I'm a slacker. I finally took J's advice and downloaded a more contemporary translation of this big bad chunkster, and my e-book has this gorgeous illustrated cover. It's love! Much better than my physical book's dreadful movie tie-in cover. 

While I may have crashed and burned when Heather and I read The Count of Monte Cristo, I still want to finish this beast. To tempt myself into action, I snapped up this Modern Library edition with the awesomely illustrated cover. Are we seeing a pattern here? Hmmm????


Let's just get this straight right off the bat. I would collect every beautifully-designed Penguin book in the world if I could. But I cannot because I am not Bill Gates. I've opted to collect Penguin English Library editions instead of these gorgeous Drop Cap Editions, but I have had some sleepless nights debating about it. I will definitely still pick up some of these (I already have Madame Bovary), I'm sure. 


I love food, and I love Penguin. So I love the Penguin Great Food series. I have three of them, and they're all impeccable. 


I was waffling about what to buy with a 20% B&N coupon, and this book popped into my head. I've been interested in reading John Saturnall's Feast for a while now, so what better time to buy than discount time? The trade paperback I ordered was the second one here, with the red and gold. I think it's stunning, but I also think this black and white version is lovely, too. 


On a totes random note, I picked up Burning Girls by Veronica Schanoes when it was a Free Friday Nook deal. I'd never heard of it, but I freaking love this creepy illustrated cover. Bright, well-drawn, ominous. It doesn't get much better than that. And the blurb sounds really good, too. 


And last but not least, Roast Beef, Medium by Edna Ferber is another classic I picked up FREE. This one is from GirlEbooks.com, one of my fave sites. And I'm a sucker for a vintage illustrated cover, so natch, I had to have it. 










33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so, too. hehehe I want ALL the pretty books to be MINE!

      Delete
  2. Wow, they are all beautiful. I love this! And #coverho cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just tellin' it like it is...#coverho. That's me. hehe

      Delete
  3. I LOVE all those Penguin covers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they luscious??? There's just no other word.

      Delete
  4. I knew you'd dig on this one. :) I love these covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hells yeah! Definitely my fave topic in a while.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I wanted to read John Saturnall's Feast for so long, too! I can't wait to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about it, and then I got an email today saying it's delayed shipping. BOOOOOO! Hiss!

      Delete
  6. Don't show me this!! :-) I swear, you're always adding books to my tbr pile. I remember buying Lauren Groff's short story collection, Delicate Birds, because of you and the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, enabling! Enabling! Did you ever get around to reading that collection? I think I vaguely remember that you did. It was a gorgeous cover.

      Delete
  7. UUU Pretty! The Penguin Great Food ones look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are AWESOME! And they're quite small books, so that makes them even cuter.

      Delete
  8. I had Burning Girls up and also These Broken Stars but then I couldn't find anymore that I would actually want hanging on my wall. I think book art for me is so different than wall art. What I like on books, I don't necessarily like on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much so nutty about book art that I want it to be wall art. These all look very "Young House Love" to me. If you haven't read that blog...OMGyes.

      Delete
  9. I love the Les Miserables cover... I could see that one in a frame for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I was so surprised when I downloaded it and the cover was SO much better than the one I thought I was getting.

      Delete
  10. I love them all, but that Les Mis is just stunning. And I love the Penguin Drop Caps, as you know. LOL

    I wish I had seen Burning Girls, I would have snapped that up! Yes, just for the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ALMOST gets me excited about reading Les Mis. Almost. You're really a bad influence when it comes to the Drop Caps. I want them all now, too.

      It might still be cheap re: Burning Girls!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous choices! I love those food books & I love beautifully designed covers for classics. And I'm actually running a giveaway of the new "T" Drop Cap Edition (Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club) if you (or anyone else) would like to enter :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, now I REALLY REALLY want the Penguin good food series framed and in my kitchen. The #coverhos know where it's at.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the covers and happy to know I am not the only person who kind of obsesses over a good cover, in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Penguin Drop Caps Series. I've got none of them but each time I see the serie at the bookshop I want them all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I haven't seen any of these covers. They actually look like pieces of art you'd find in a museum. They're really great. Great list!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those first two covers are particularly stunning. I'd frame either of those, plus the Burning Girls cover -- so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous covers! Those 3 food covers - I want them framed in my kitchen now. They'd look perfect! I hate movie tie in covers. I'll pay more to avoid them if necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd totally let you decorate my house. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I kid you not, I seriously considered doing an ode to Penguin Books covers for my post. The drop caps, the threads, all of them! They have some serious coverhos working there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those top two covers are totally amazing. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I'm with Kim! Those top two covers are fantastic! I wonder if there's a similar cover for Anna Karenina... I'd love to own a copy, but I've been having a hard time finding a cover I love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, that Les Mis cover is gorgeous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik