Saturday, May 10, 2014

Weekend Cooking: "Kitchen Sink" Quiche

Hosted by Beth Fish Reads!

Ahh, how things change with a husband in the house. A husband who is wonderful and works from home! Since he's home so often he eats most of his meals at home as well. With that, we've started meal planning more, and we're trying out a LOT of new recipes from blogs, Pinterest, and other places around the interwebs.

Ever since we've started trying out new recipes, we've fallen hard for quiche. Several weeks ago, we tried this Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche recipe that I found at Plain Chicken. It sounded like something comfort-foody that would be great leftover, and we were right! While this recipe didn't have quite the amount of flavor I expected, it inspired me to get creative.

Over the weekend, I knew I wanted to do another quiche for the leftovers, but I also didn't want to go to the store, so I came up with this. 

1/3 package of honey ham slices...probably 5 thin slices
4 slices of pepperoni
1/3 small bag of frozen stir fry veggies (I had Beijing blend so carrots, broccoli, peppers, onions, etc.)
1 cup shredded cheese 
1/3 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup of spicy ranch
1/4 cup of sour cream
a few shakes of garlic powder
4 eggs
1 frozen pie shell

So the wet ingredients are the same basic recipe for the Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche, but I did my own little riff on the filling. Preheat the oven to 375.  I cut up my honey ham and pepperoni and threw it into a medium-hot skillet with the frozen veggies and the garlic powder. I let everything thaw, and the meat got a little color around the edges. I tossed the filling into the pie shell with the cheese on top. Next, mix up all of the wet ingredients and pour those over the top of your filling. Mine was REALLY full, so I used a fork to slide stuff around and get the egg mixture into the filling. I put my quiche on a cookie sheet to catch any drips, and bake for about 45-50 minutes. 

I loved this version because it's a great way to sneak some extra veggies in on my boys, and it had all the flavor the previous quiche was missing. I have a feeling the leftovers won't last long! 

Sorry I forgot to take a pic. I was busy eating. :) 


13 comments:

  1. That's how I make quiche - just put whatever I happen to have in it. I never thought of ranch dressing, though - that sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! The spicy ranch adds a nice flavor. I likey!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes! Such a great way to use up odds and ends. And a nice dinner in the summer with a glass of wine. I too haven't ever put ranch dressing in my quiches; I'll have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd give a flip if it were regular Ranch, but the spicy version adds a nice, subtle kick.

      Delete
  3. My husband works from home, too, and it's great! I like quiche for its versatility, too, and get a little creative with the basic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! We have plenty of veggies getting ready to burst forth from our garden, so I have a feeling I'll be making lots of veggie ones soon.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I usually make a ham and mushroom quiche - as it's the way my mum taught me. But I'll have to give it a try with a variety of vegetables next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to brainstorm new ideas. I'd like to do a steak, spinach and cheese one soon. With some other veggies thrown in for sneaking in on my boys.

      Delete
  5. Oh, yum! I have a ton of leftover ham from Easter (packaged up in the freezer), so I think I'll have to defrost a packet and make a ham and cheese quiche. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I have some frozen odds and ends. I have lots of spinach I need to use, too. Definitely gonna throw some of that in.

      Delete
  6. I love quiche but with being gluten free, I find that the best part of the quiche I am forced to leave out...the freakin' crust! I have tried cheese crusts, potato crusts, no crust and some other crust alternative but then it just ends up tasting like an omelette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That is a tragedy indeed! Be fancy and call the crustless quiche a frittata. lol Does that help/

      Delete
  7. I can't tell you how much I was wishing I liked eggs right now. Maybe if I stuff it with enough extras, I won't taste the egg?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik