Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Personally: Write or Bust!

The last couple of weeks (originally typed books...Freudian slip?) have been interesting, and by interesting, I mean weird. You're going to gasp when I tell you this, but today is June 23 and I've only read one book this month. I almost passed out when I realized it. I may well finish another one or two in the coming days, but I've been a bit distracted.

What have I been distracted by, you ask? Writing.

I love to write. Ten years of blogging proves that fact, but here lately I feel charged up by writing equally as much as reading. So much, in fact, that I've begun to pursue writing opportunities outside of the blog.

88.9 KETR is our local NPR affiliate. They're based at the university where I'm employed, though their work reaches far beyond these hallowed halls and concrete walls. I've talked with the general manager of the station about writing for them for a while, but it wasn't until last week that I told him to pull the trigger.

I'll be writing editorial content about books, reading, and the literary life (or anything else that moves me). It's a dreamy, fun, low-pressure gig and all of my pieces will go into the larger NPR affiliate hopper and can be picked up by other outlets. Here's hoping!

I've also been working on another couple of writing opportunities. One is a go, but I'm keeping that one under wraps for a few months until something solid happens. Sorry for the teaser! All in good time! I'm one of those people who knocks on a lot of wood, so I'd hate to throw out a nugget of good news that somehow gets sunk before it starts.

Finally, I've decided to write a book. HOLY CRAP I'M WRITING A BOOK! Now, don't get too excited. I don't have an agent. I don't have any publishing promises, but I have a keyboard and a dream and some seriously kickass beta readers.

Unsurprisingly, you could also say this is partially Heather's fault. We were emailing last week, just like we always do, and I typed something to the effect of "How the hell do people write books anyway?" and she typed back something like, "Type words." That's a paraphrase, but you get the point. Thanks for that reality check, friend!

I announced this new undertaking on Twitter, and my phone blew up with awesomeness! I really do appreciate all the excitement and well wishes I've received, and I can't wait to get this baby written! My plan is for a humorous non-fiction book of personal essays. I haven't done anything particularly memoirable, but I sure as hell have a bunch of wonky stories. Sometimes they're even meaningful.

So that's what I've been up to. I don't have any plans to slack on the blogging, but I might have to incorporate a wider range of topics if my reading stays slow. Time will tell!





52 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you decided to take the leap (especially with the book!) and can't wait to read everything you have in the works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shannon! It was a bit of a catharsis to decide to take the plunge. I haven't been this excited in a long time!

      Delete
  2. For once my smart-ass mouth paid off! :P I've always loved your writing, so I'm beyond excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, your awesomeness almost helps clarify things. lol

      Delete
  3. This is awesome Andi! I didn't catch the twitter update but MAN I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally thought of you when I made the decision to start on the book. I may have to hit you up for motivation and advice. :)

      Delete
  4. How exciting! I think there's an potential author lurking inside every reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think so for a very long time, but back then I was also trying to write fiction, which is MUCH harder for me. Not sure it'll ever be within my reach. Hmmphf!

      Delete
  5. NaNoWriMo really instilled the "just write" factor in me, which actually came in quite handy for a big assignment my senior year. I was so freaked out about all the work I hadn't done and all the things I didn't know, but once I stopped worrying about what the end result would be and just started writing, I realized I had more than enough material. (This may or may not have happened the night before the assignment was due.)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that being a HUGE takeaway from NaNoWriMo. I've never had the balls to try it, but depending on how the book is coming I might have to do it this year.

      Delete
  6. Yayyy! I'm working on a memoir of humorous essays myself. Like you, I have a keyboard and a dream . . . but we'll get there. Congrats on your new opportunities -- can't wait to read your work on NPR and elsewhere! :) Go Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that!!!! We can DO IT!

      Delete
  7. This is SO exciting!!! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Andi, this is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I'm super excited!

      Delete
  9. WooHoo! Your writing cup runneth over. Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! What a feeling!

      Delete
  10. This is such exciting news! I'm really happy for you! I'll be listening to NPR and hoping some of your pieces make it to the market over here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri! All the well wishes are so much more motivation!

      Delete
  11. That's exciting news!! I have the utmost respect for anyone who can actually write a book :) Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I do, too! Let's see if I can actually pull it off. Whew!

      Delete
  12. I am so crazy proud of you- going after your dream! Kick some ass and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Catherine! You never know unless you try, right?

      Delete
  13. And I'm sure it will be "memoirable" as you say. I love that. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So exciting! That's great! Wish you all kind of creative luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine! I'll need it for this long haul.

      Delete
  15. Good for you! I'm very excited for your and your writing adventures. I have also found myself with a revived passion for writing lately. I start my day with fifteen minutes of free writing and end my day with journalling. I like the routine and habit of getting words on the page for now. I'm getting those writing juices fired up for future projects (including hopefully hunkering down and getting my first book typed up)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! The routine and habit has really grown for me through blogging, but I do like the idea of some additional devoted minutes during the day. Lately, it seems to be happening at lunch, but I'm going to try to squeeze some time writing in at night.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank youuuuuuu!!!! I can't stop smiling!

      Delete
  17. So so so so so so so so so so amazing and exciting!!!!! Goooooo Andi!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG that is so exciting!!!! I wanna be a beta reader!!!!!!!!! Please??????

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful, Andi! I'm very excited for you and I wish you the best in your writing adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. !!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear more on Thursday. So freaking exciting! And I love the new layout on the blog. You are a rockstar. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are going to be complete amazingness! I cannot wait to hear about all the wonderful things you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish you luck on your writing, and hope you continue to pursue it. I've been enjoying writing lately, I credit my joy to 750words.com which is helping me build a habit of writing every day.

    I have no real plans for my writing, I just want to improve. I hope you continue to blog about your writing experiences, I'd be interested to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so exciting and just reiterates how awesome you are!

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is a lot of good news here, how exciting! Looking forward to your NPR work. Best of luck with all your endeavours :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such excitement! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So many cool things going on! My blog started put as a writing blog, but my love of reading took over. One day I'll get back to the writing game, but for now, I'll just cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on all this big news!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations Andi! I hope to follow in your footsteps one day! Let us know what's happening so we can keep up with your articles over there.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well done and good luck!
    Memoir-ish essays are probably a good transition from writing a blog, so I expect you will do very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay yay yaaaay! I'm so excited for you. Good luck, and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very cool. Count me in as one of your readers -- whatever it is you choose to write.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow - congratulations on so much fun and exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  33. what fantastic news! cheers and best of luck with ALL your writing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats ! I'll definitely be one of your (many!!) readers, Andi. Exciting news ... I can feel this post just emanating happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such exciting news! I know you will be awesome at all the things! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Late to the party, but I had to chime in and say congrats on the writing gig and future book! I'll read anything you write!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik