Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown

THIS BOOK THIS BOOK THIS BOOK! I read it over the course of a week when it should not have taken that long because I was savoring it. Drawing it out. Sucking it down one little slurp at a time. 

If there is a perfect "beach read" this is it, though it's SO much more than the stereotype. 

The year is 1819, and the renowned chef Owen Wedgwood has been kidnapped by a beautiful, ruthless pirate. He will be spared, Mad Hannah Mabbot tells him, as long as he can conjure an exquisite meal every Sunday from the ship’s meager supplies. While Wedgwood attempts to satisfy his captor with feats such as tea-smoked eel and pineapple-banana cider, he realizes that Mabbot herself is under siege. Hunted by a deadly privateer and plagued by a saboteur, she pushes her crew past exhaustion in her search for the notorious Brass Fox. But there is a method to Mabbot’s madness, and as the Flying Rose races across the ocean, Wedgwood learns to rely on the bizarre crew members he once feared: a formidable giant who loves to knit; a pair of stoic martial arts masters, sworn to defend their captain; and the ship’s deaf cabin boy, who becomes the son he never had. (publisher blurb)

SO, what is more magical in the summertime than a book about sassy lady pirates with red flowing locks, attitude and awesomeness? What's more...FOOD! On a boat! With meager provisions! And a morally upright chef who happens to be her capture (captee? capturee?). RIGHT-O! 

I really am sorry about all the caps in this post, but this book knocked me flat with its goodness. The writing is rich, layered and atmospheric. The story is full of adventure and swashbuckling and interesting characters who are much deeper than they appear on the surface. Much like the roiling depths of the ocean!

This made me giggle, raise my eyebrows, I full-on guffawed, and I even got a might teary at the end. It's just so good! If you need an involving, fun read, this is the one. DO IT! I got my copy for a steep discount from BookOutlet.com. You should check and see if they still have some!


Pub. Date: June 2013
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Format: Hardcover (and I never read those)
ISBN: 0374123667
Source: Bought it!


22 comments:

  1. The title and cover of this book have always attracted me. Unfortunately I'm not really into pirates, not even lady pirates. It will remain a maybe at the library for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not either. I don't seek out those Johnny Depp movies, but this was so nicely layered (more than pirates) and so fun with the inclusion of food, I just couldn't help but love it. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been put off by this book because of the title and cover but, I swear, everyone I know who's read it has loved it. I need to take the plunge and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun. I was desperate to sneak away to the beach (and I made it as far as the pool). It was perfect for my mood and so full of adventure!

      Delete
  3. Everybody loves this one, but for some reason it never really appealed to me.... maybe it's the pirates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a pirate person either, but I do love a good spot of adventure and a culinary bent. :)

      Delete
  4. I started it this week and I'm loving it. I just adore the writing style. It is so much fun! I'm glad I accidentally bought it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCORE! The writing is gorgoues--he's a poet! I'm glad you accidentally bought it too!

      Delete
  5. Hehe, this sounds funny enough. All those "ingredients" should make for an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm recommending it to everyone I know!

      Delete
  6. Wow!! I had no idea what this book was about until your review. It sounds freakin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard tons of great things about this book and I feel like I'd totally love the unique mix of cooking and swashbuckling. Glad to hear it was a win for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would eat it up like candy.

      Delete
  8. Bookoutlet, huh? I JUST passed up a copy of this one and now I can't even remember where I saw the copy. I just remember thinking "no Trish, it'll just waste away on your shelf for years." SAD!! Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at PIRATE! I'm so in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, now this is #20 on my TBR list on Goodreads. I like pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes yes yes!! This is such a fantastic book! It's amazing what the author is able to do with this story from the descriptions of food to the politics on board and off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have picked this book to read so I'm glad you reviewed it. It sounds so much more fun and exciting. I'll be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No need to apologize for the caps! I love them and find your enthusiasm for this book hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the title, but I think the cover picture puts me off each time I've looked at this, but your rave review puts it on the TBR list. I'm looking for a couple of vacation books for my week off this month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik