Thursday, July 10, 2014

Cook It Up! A Cookbook Challenge


The ever-awesome Trish from Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity is hosting Cook It Up! A Cookbook Challenge! While Trish will be focusing on one specific cookbook per month, she's leaving the guidelines wide open for those of us who might want to make this challenge work a bit differently. 

I'm going to challenge myself to try one new recipe from a printed cookbook per week through the months of July and August. Starting this week!


David and I put several cookbooks on our wedding registries, including Barefoot Contessa at Home and The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier. Straight off, Ree Drummond's Pioneer Woman recipes are more of our natural ilk. She's from Oklahoma, we're from Texas. There wasn't anything super surprising in this book, but it does have some yummy-looking twists on things we're already familiar with making: quesadillas, tacos, quiche and the like. 

Ina Garten's book is a little more outside our norm. That's not to say that anything is especially difficult or out of our comfort zone...just more things we wouldn't default to in our everyday life. Definitely looking forward to delving into this one further!

Our family could probably eat Asian cuisine every day of the week. We love it that much! I thought it would be great to try some Japanese dishes at home, so I ordered Everyday Harumi after looking over some recommendations. I'm seriously excited to try these recipes. 


I've had both Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking and Deceptively Delicious for quite a while now. I've tried a few recipes from Food that I really liked, but I haven't tried enough. Alas, I haven't made anything from Deceptively Delicious, which is about using veggie purees in recipes as a way of sneaking more veggies in on the kiddo. While Greyson is pretty good about trying everything on his dinner plate (and sometimes it calls for bribery), I'm all for additional veggies that he doesn't even realize are there! And it wouldn't hurt David and me to get more veggies either. Ha!

I hope you'll consider joining! Mostly because I want to know what you cook and how you like it. Call me a foodie voyeur. 








32 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! If I had the time to experiment with new meals I would definitely take part.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhhh, this might not be the time for you, Sam. But one day!

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea for a challenge! I may have to join in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I found it absolutely irresistible!

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely doing this! The toddler is getting into cooking now so I reckon I can use this as a way to spend some one on one time with him and put the baby in his bouncer or something! Wishful thinking probably but one a month should be doable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! I need to involve my son more in the cooking process. Right now he's more into sweeping through the garden and bringing in the new veggies. This morning he brought four yellow cherry tomatoes into the bathroom to me. LOL

      Delete
    2. Aww bless! I wish we had more space to grow stuff - at the moment we're kind of limited to windowsill space, and cress isn't the most fun to eat really...

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited about this challenge! I love cookbooks and you've got some great ones. I have the Barefoot Contessa At Home and it's one of my favorites of hers and the Pioneer Woman's great though much more simple. Her mashed potatoes are the best mashed potatoes EVER. I look forward to seeing what you end up trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun? My love of cookbooks is fairly new, but BOY, it's raging! So hard not to buy more of them. I need to start checking more out of the library. I also have an Oyster subscription, so maybe I'll "check out" some that way. I will definitely try Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes!

      Delete
  5. I've read Deceptively Delicious. It is good for hiding veggies in bread and stuff. Good way to eat veggies you don't like. Some good recipes in there, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely gonna dig into that one. We have an influx of squash we can puree! lol

      Delete
  6. We have the Pioneer Woman cookbooks and my daughter loves them! After reading Becca's comment, I'm going to put a hold on Deceptively Delicious. Now I need to write my own post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fun, and super easy! Looking forward to your thoughts on Deceptively Delicious!

      Delete
  7. I'll definitely be joining this challenge! Since we cook outside a lot during the summer, I'll probably start by focusing on a grilling cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see what you try, JoAnn! I wish we grilled more!

      Delete
  8. Argh! I want to do it, but it's too dang hot to cook! I'll probably do it any, because I'm a glutton. For, you know, everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it is hot to cook. Need to whip out the crock pot soon.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried that Mississippi Roast recipe that's floating around? IT IS SO GOOD. And so dang easy. I love it. I eat it on rice, but everyone else eats it on a bun.

      http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/mississippi-roast/

      Delete
  9. Wow - Trish sure knows how to throw a book party! looks like everyone is doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she does! lol She taps into all of our incomplete goals with her kitchen gadgets and Pinterest challenges and whatnot.

      Delete
    2. Hey--your incomplete goals are MY incomplete goals! Everythings more fun with good company, right?

      Delete
  10. Alright foody voyeur! ;) So glad you're joining the challenge and glad you were able to make it work for you. One new recipe a week sounds perfect!

    I'm focusing on a BBQ this month--even though it's wretchedly hot outside. The biggest bonus? Scott gets to stand out there by the hot grill while I stay in the AC kitchen making sides. ;)

    Can't wait to see what winners you find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like so much fun! I actually just finished cooking something from one of the Pioneer Woman's cookbooks - a chocolate strawberry cake that is DELICIOUS!! I have the cookbook you have, along with the Barefoot Contessa one. I just love both of those cooking shows and their cookbooks. Everything always look soooo good! Have fun with this challenge, Andi! I would join, but I've been pretty slacker on the two other challenges I joined, so I'm not sure how great of a participant I'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like fun! It's so easy to just make the same recipes by default, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for Harumi! I am a big fan of her other cookbook Harumi's Japanese Cooking. And that cover of Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm totally game!! It's already Thursday so not sure I can plan to do a new recipe in the next two days....but maybe! And it can be any recipe, not a whole meal right? I have this thing for Southern Cook Books, and dessert cook books....dangerous. I love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love people who put books on their wedding registries! I'm going to join in on this challenge, but haven't decided exactly how yet. I plan to use the posts as Weekend Cooking posts on Beth Fish Reads too, though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be over for dinner. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trish is awesome, I've already picked out a cookbook or two for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd be all over this if I wasn't in a food flux right now, lol. I'm on the hunt for new and HEALTHY recipes so I'll be watching ya'll closely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. FABULOUS IDEA. I was -just- saying how I needed to pare down my print cookbooks. THIS MAY SAVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you posted this!! I love ot try new things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik