Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Delancey by Molly Wizenberg

Delancey: A Man, a Woman, a Restaurant, a Marriage, by Molly Wizenberg, author of A Homemade Life, was great! This was exactly the memoir I needed to bust a mini-slump in June after I read and loved Ruby, by Cynthia Bond. 

Molly Wizenberg is the successful blogger-turned-author behind Orangette, and this book chronicles the growth of her marriage around the opening of her husband's up-scale pizza restaurant, Delancey. Wizenberg is hesitant, in the beginning of this foray, to even admit that the restaurant will come to fruition. Her husband has a habit of picking up and dropping hobbies, and she imagines the restaurant idea is just another hobby. Pretty soon he's neck-deep in pizza dough recipes, renovating a storefront, and IT'S HAPPENING. And Wizenberg has to come to terms with it all. 

Besides being a fun read for foodies, this book is also pretty brave. Her husband knew that she struggled with the restaurant idea, but to put that struggle out for the world to read is another level of trust! 

There were a number of things I enjoyed about this book:

  • The warm, sitting-with-a-friend-talking writing style
  • The in-depth exploration of what makes a successful pizza....from dough to toppings
  • The struggle to hire/fire and settle a staff
  • Getting a peek behind the scenes of a memoirist as she struggles to write and publish her first book (which was going on while they were opening the restaurant)
  • A general look at the way opening a restaurant works! A lot of hard work and more than a pinch of luck. 
Even if you don't consider yourself a "foodie," Delancey is a great book. It deals with one of the most loved foods--pizza!--and the people you'll meet in this book are interesting and down-to-earth. This is definitely a quick, fun non-fiction read. 

Pub Date: May 2014
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Format: ARC
ISBN: 9781451655094
Source: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for consideration of a review (an honest one!). 

A video review!

23 comments:

  1. I've been reading so many great reviews of this. I love foodie novels so I am going to have to add this to my towering TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy, Rhiannon!

      Delete
  2. A Homemade Life was wonderful... can't wait to read this. Love your video reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to read A Homemade Life now. I've heard really good things about it since I started raving about this one. Thanks, JoAnn!

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad we accidentally read this one together. It was so good. And dang it, I still want some pizza AND to read her first book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was really good, such a delight to read, and I still want pizza, too! lol But really GOOD pizza.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a book I'd love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! I was surprised with how honest she was even when it made her not look so great. I'm not sure I would've been able to do that! I craved pizza for weeks after this book. Great video review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Katherine! I don't know if I would've been able to lay my frustrations and disbelief so bare either. Though I suspect the passing of time probably helped come to grips with that. I started looking up Delancey and Essex on Yelp when I finished the book. I want to go!

      Delete
  6. It seems like everyone is loving this one. Although it's not a book I would automatically pick up, it might be finding a place on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely great for a quick non-fiction fix!

      Delete
  7. I religiously read the blog Amateur Gourmet (strange because I am THE pickiest eater, but I love his writing style), and he wrote about this book and its gorgeous cover. Even though I'm not a foodie, I really enjoy foodie books. I know. I'm weird. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check that one out! This one really is a #coverho pleaser. I hope you like this one if you ever decide you want to try it!

      Delete
  8. this is definitely on my reading list for the summer. it might be an e-read for me (I do still read a lot of "real" books) but your review makes me want to read it even more than I did - I didn't realize there was a heavy memoir component to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Courtney! It's a wonderful memoir...one I aspire to be like in its easy, warm readability.

      Delete
  9. Considering my absolute love for pizza I can't believe I haven't read a pizza focused book yet. I may have to change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's amazing! Made me so so so hungry.

      Delete
  10. My sister-in-law read and loved this one, I think she met the author, too. I might need to check it out! I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I would love to meet Wizenberg and just chat. I joined Oyster as a trial member, and they have Wizenberg's first book, so I'll definitely be reading it soon.

      Delete
  11. I love memoirs, especially those which share what it's like to have an interesting career, so this book sounds perfect for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's so far out of my norm but so very interesting!

      Delete
  12. I'm definitely going to be adding this one to my TBR list. I love memoirs and I love food. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik