Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Funday!

Wellll, I'd be lying if I said the BookTubeaThon this past week and the Mini Bloggiesta were anything other than a complete bust. Am I too broken up about it??? Absolutely not! My weekends with my son are rare since he's often at his dad's house, so we had lots of things to do this weekend. That seems to be the theme of the summer so far, and I'm eating it up!




We visited the Northeast Texas Children's Museum. As you can see above, we spent some time canoeing, driving a tractor, and playing inside giant bubbles. Among other things. It's the neatest place, and Greyson loved it every bit. 

Sunday we spent the afternoon at the pool and closed out the day with a wonderfully delectable dinner of fried pork chops, gravy, garlic mashed potatoes and roasted zucchini. Oh, and I might've made a small batch of dark chocolate cupcakes with chocolate peanut butter frosting. Ahem! 

I did read some this weekend...

I got to the first #EstellaProject checkpoint for the East of Eden readalong. Now I just need to write my post! 


I'm also a little further along in Cinnamon and Gunpowder, by Eli Brown, and absolutely loving it. 

What about you? Are you reading or too busy soaking up what's left of the summer? 

Hosted by Sheila at BookJourney!

23 comments:

  1. Awww...just the way summer ought to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! We're all having so much fun.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a perfect weekend! I didn't get a lot of reading done either, because of fun stuff with the family. But it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think there's anything that could've been improved upon. Definitely worth skipping out on the reading. :)

      Delete
  3. As much as I love books, your weekend with Greyson sounds much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures of your son touch my heart, and I know just what it is to treasure every moment. I remember perfectly when he was that age, and now at 23 he still indulges me a kiss and a memory. The other day when he came to visit he said, "We went to The Field Museum and they still have the Bug exhibit from when you took me." Well, that matters not at all except to say, "Wow, were so lucky to have these boys." xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid iPad deleted my aostrophe in "we're"...

      Delete
    2. Awww, I love that, Bellezza. I hope Greyson looks back fondly on these memories and that he tells me so! :D

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great weekend! We have custody issues with 2 of the kids so I understand how rare and wonderful a free weekend is! You can get the other stuff done another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about the custody issues. Greyson's dad and I don't have an official arrangement as we've been able to handle it between ourselves. I give up most weekends because he's with me the rest of the week. But it's so great to have a weekend to do fun stuff and break out of the routine.

      Delete
  6. Cinnamon and Gunpowder is such a GOOD book! Omg!

    Greyson is getting so big! It never amazes me how fast kids grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously love it, Vasilly! So much fun, such rich language, and the food! And the yucky parts...eeek. lol

      Delete
  7. Greyson over books anytime :) Sounds like you all had such a great weekend. And that dinner sounds DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right-o! We had a wonderful time, and dinner was to die for!

      Delete
  8. Sounds delicious! We had salmon, corn on the cob, and sauteed zucchini for my Sunday birthday dinner. That was harder to accomplish than expected because we drove back from our vacation with family in Maine all day Saturday. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The driving doesn't sound so great (hate car trips), but the dinner and the birthday part sound GREAT!!!! Happy belated bday, Heidi!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like such a fun weekend. I got quite a bit of reading done, but I also just soaked in the time I had hanging with my roommates. I got caught up on Big Brother (my guilty pleasure!), ate some delicious food, and watched some anime. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a wonderful weekend. The Children's Museum sounds like a lot of fun. And the cupcakes sound delicious! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh your weekend looked like fun! I love the title "Cinnamon and Gunpowder"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are enjoying some time with your son!

    Have a great reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your son! Not read any Steinbeck but maybe some day I will. :)

    Stormi
    http://www.booksmoviesreviewsohmy.com/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-75/

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're busy making memories! That's what summer's all about, in my opinion. My reading has dropped off significantly this past month!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik