Monday, July 28, 2014

Pumpkin Time!

It's a rare thing that I accept a picture book for review, but when the pitch for Pumpkin Time, by Erzsi Deák, landed in my inbox, I immediately snatched it up. You see, my son, Greyson, is obsessed with pumpkins. We read Halloween books all year long because...pumpkins. We have an active garden that's actively growing...you guessed it...pumpkins. See some visual evidence of his pumpkin love down below. 


One night after his bath, when we were beginning to wind down, I came out of my bedroom with this book behind my back and surprised him. 


To say he squeaked with joy is an understatement. That first time reading, he actually made me read it to him twice, and it's been our bedtime book for WEEKS now. But I'm sure you'd like to know what it's about...

Evy is the main character, and she has a garden! While all sorts of wacky, wild things are happening on the farm (cows in hats, pigs dancing 'round the maypole, sheep picnicking on the neighbor's lawn), she is single-mindedly nurturing her garden, as we build up to the penultimate pumpkin event: a giant pumpkin pie she can share with her farm friends on Thanksgiving. 

Pumpkin Time! is seriously adorable, full of beautiful illustrations by Doug Cushman, and it was a perfectly wonderful book for my son's age (four). It even has some pumpkin recipes and fun facts in the back of the book, so if you have a child who likes to cook, like mine, or loves to garden, also like mine, that's another great feature. 

If you'd like to win a copy of Pumpkin Time!, enter the Rafflecopter giveaway down below! I'll announce the winner on Monday, August 4 and contact the winner via email. 

Pub. Date: June 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Format: Paperback ARC
ISBN: 9781402295263
Source: Received from the publisher in consideration of a review. 
a Rafflecopter giveaway

20 comments:

  1. Aw, that looks like the perfect book for Greyson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is. He loooove love loves it.

      Delete
  2. We're big lovers of pumpkins over here too :) Hmmm, favorite childhood book-I was an early reader and my earliest memories of books were the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series, which I started reading when I was 5 eep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you were an early reader! That's wonderful. I wasn't, but I made up for lost time once I started. lol

      Delete
  3. I can just imagine that squeak of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, it was adorable. And I'm sure it was followed up shortly by the word "awesome."

      Delete
  4. My son is also 4 and is into anything truck related. His favorite book is Digger, Dozer, Dumper and takes it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes, we also have a new book about trucks in the house but haven't gotten to read it yet. I suspect that'll be tonight's book.

      Delete
  5. Dang. If I'd known that, I totally would have brought him a pumpkin book. Next time. Next time.

    That is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Next time indeed. :)

      Delete
  6. We read Locomotive by Brian Floca over and over and over. Plus the Pigeon books (Mo Willems, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that one out. And I definitely need more Mo Willems in his library.

      Delete
  7. Okay, I think you are officially the first blogger to post something that reminds me of fall. I love fall! My favorite time of the year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Next thing you know, we'll be drinking pumpkin lattes, Ti!

      Delete
  8. Lama Lama Red Pajama! And Doc McStuffins Time for Your Checkup are on constant rotation at our house

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great book for your son! When my son was younger he always developed a cult-ish devotion to certain topics. However you asked for a favorite child's book title....well both of my kids just loved Scary, Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting and illustrated by the great Jan Brett, another kids' fave! I am entering as a Nana, not a mother, for clarification. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one that immediately comes to mind is Amanda's First Day of School. I adored that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you read Duck and Goose Find a Pumpkin to him yet? I used it in a preschool story time program once with pretty good success. It lets the child participate, and it really is a cute book. If I hadn't donated it to the library for which I did the program, I would send it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're invited to a 4-year-old's birthday party next weekend and this book may be just the right gift to add to the superhero toy I've already purchased. Off to place a reserve request for it at work. Thanks, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally craving fall (I feel like I've been commenting this on everyone's blogs tonight... something in the air?) and this book is SO adorable! Also love the pictures of the cutie pie in the pumpkin patch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik