Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Fabled ARC!

Y'all know I'm resistant to ARCs because they feel like homework. Well, here lately I've broken my own rules and pursued some specific books that I just can't resist. Some are read and some are upcoming, but you can bet if I beat the homework monster, I'll review 'em!


First Second is my favorite publisher of graphic novels...things like Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol, Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang, and Relish by Lucy Knisley, among others. The quality of the writing, illustrations and the physical quality of the books are always stellar. I've been requesting their review copies like crazy, including Scott McCloud's upcoming work, The Sculptor as well as Ariel Cohn's The Zoo Box. And I can't forget Andi Watson's quirky Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula!


The Boy Who Drew Monsters, by Keith Donoghue was one of those books I snapped up IMMEDIATELY when I heard about it because I loved his novel, The Stolen Child, years ago. 

The Girl With All the Gifts, by M.R. Carey, just sounded too dang good to ignore, and the same with The Supernatural Enhancements, by Edgar Cantero. 


Finally, The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters, by Rose George, falls right into my "niche non-fiction" interest. This one sounds vaguely Mary Roach'ish, so we'll see how it shakes out. 

What are you excited to review? 




17 comments:

  1. I hope all of those exceed your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every once in a while I'm excited to get an ARC for a favorite author or a book that was already on my radar, but it doesn't seem to happen very often. Hope these all live up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's always the thing about ARCs, isn't it? You want to get the books you can't wait to read, not every book that is coming up the publication pike. It looks like you requested some fun reads that will be perfect for fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drooling. First Second has been posting pictures of ARCs on Facebook today and I WANT THEM SO BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well dang Andi... when you pick up ARCs, you pick great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Btw check out The Wrenchies. Think you'd like it 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read and review Carrie Mesrobian's second novel, Perfectly Good White Boy. I loved Sex & Violence, so I'm hoping White Boy will be just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Boy Who Drew Monsters was one that I was super excited to grab from BEA, but I'm really glad to hear that you've read (and enjoyed!) something from him before!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. Impossibly high standard and hype but...I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have myself rather loaded for reviews and that's not good cause September is a new school year. So, I'm trying to get through them in August coming up here. I am looking forward to Gutenberg's Apprentice, which by the way is the most beautiful ARC I've ever seen. And also a new Jojo Moyes in October called The Ship of Brides!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some ARC's are just too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, what an interesting lot! Your non-fiction sounds ... err, fascinating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have so many ARCs for September that I don't feel the homework thing; I'm just too overwhelmed to get started! I do have The Supernatural Enhancements on my list and hope to get to it this weekend. Good luck beating the homework monster!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have made a point to only take on ARC's of books that I think I would like-(purchase for myself if saw it at the bookstore). I hated not having time to read the books I have purchased, so also limit how many I take on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I try my best not to hang around NetGalley too much. There's always a book or two that ends up in my list if I weren't being too careful. And months later, I'm repenting my impulsive decision. Those books look so colorful, vibrant, and intriguing! I will have to forget about them before I visit NetGalley next or I'm going to add more to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH, does The Big Necessity talk about how we could totally clean sewage water and reuse it for drinking water, but we keep on not doing it because everyone thinks it's gross even though actually the cleaning processes they have are super thorough? Because I was reading about that the other day and finding it very interesting.

    (Brief plug for my favorite under-loved African country: Namibia already does that! Namibia does lots of forward-thinking things, but nobody ever talks about it. Except me. I am a big Namibia partisan.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik