Sunday, July 06, 2014

TSS: Recapping a Great Weekend

As you may have seen me mention on Twitter, Instagram, here and just about everywhere else, my kiddo was gone for a week to visit his dad, and, BOY, did I miss the little booger! He made a two-night trip to Oklahoma with his dad and stepmom, got to stay in a hotel for the first time, went to the zoo, and generally had a blast.

Fourth of July was low-key for him and for us. He was recovering from this trip at his dad's, David and I went to my mom's house and David took the helm cooking! We had BBQ burgers with his famous homemade BBQ sauce, grilled zucchini and yellow squash from our garden, homemade baked beans topped with yummy bacon, and a turtle pie. Nom!

David and I picked Greyson up yesterday morning and our day was filled with tons o'fun after that...


Greyson had a wicked time at the pool since he's now tall enough to walk around in the shallow end. This pool is at a campground near us, and it also has a little area with water spouts shooting up splash-park style. Needless to say, G was in total four-year-old heaven with all the wading and playing and being tossed about. 

I, on the other hand, experienced a complete and utter sunscreen fail. While I did spray myself down with SPF 6,000 (almost), apparently it washed off before the fun was done. 

We came home, dug into the Fourth of July leftovers, and we all slept like logs last night. Even me, with all the sunburn. 

Today has been a laid back, pajama kind of day. David and Greyson started the day with Legos, then we blew bubbles out on the back deck, ate some lunch, took a nap, and we're watching The Lego Movie. I don't think I could've asked for a better weekend. 

AND I'm reading books! More on that tomorrow, but for now, just know that I'm zipping through this (and MANY other things)...


Join The Sunday Salon right HERE. 



28 comments:

  1. East of Eden is one of my favorites - I wish I had time for the readalong right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally loving it, April! The urge is in me to read shorter/quicker books at the same time, though, so I'm going with it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a fabulous 4th weekend in spite of the sunburn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww that sunburn!! Hope it's not too painful, it's in an unfriendly spot there!
    I haven't enjoyed what little I've read of Steinbeck, but East of Eden seems like it might be different... maybe next time I'm in the mood for a classic I'll give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back and shoulders are the brutally burned part. lol My face will probably look almost decent/back to normal tomorrow, but the shoulders will probably peel. Yay. I read Of Mice and Men before this, and I did not enjoy it. But I do urge you to try this one if you're feeling brave.

      Delete
  4. I remember reading East of Eden years ago and enjoying it. Glad you're enjoying it for your summer reading project (isn't that what this one is for?).

    BBQ burgers sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good so far, Bryan. SOOO much more to go, though! And yes, this one is for the summer reading project. I figured since I need to read it for book club anyway, I'd repurpose and lead a discussion on the blogs!

      The BBQ burgers were pretty amazing. My hub's BBQ sauce is sublime.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a perfect wekemd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Anita! I hope yours was wonderful as well!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great weekend. Hard to be without the kiddo, even though you know he's having a good time doing new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! It is tough to be without him, but he was having such wonderful time, I'd never shortchange him that. ;)

      Delete
  7. Definitely a great weekend :) My kiddos have been laying around today too after being on the go all weekend long. I love a good lazy Sunday. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazy Sundays are the BEST!!!! Cheers to more of these, Samantha!

      Delete
  8. Ouch that sunburn looks wicked! Sounds like you guys are having an awesome summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The face is not as bad as the shoulders. Not sure if that's good or bad news because they hurt soooo much! lol

      Delete
  9. I know you're glad Greyson is back! Your "pajama day" sounds divine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homemade BBQ sauce?! My mouth is watering.

    Oh no, that sunburn looks like it hurts! I hope it fades quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great weekend! Our was pretty lazy as well though I wish I could say that the girls went down like logs at bedtime. Though Evie is finally putting herself to sleep (after I put her in the crib of course), so there is that. Too bad Elle is "scared" (not sure if she really is or if she's stalling). Bah.

    Grilled squash and zucchini--sounds amazing! And I hope your nose is feeling better now. Love that cover of East of Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like the nicest weekend :). I love seeing how much fun you have with your family! And I have the saaaame problem with sunburns. I lather on the sunscreen and somehow still go all lobster.
    Looking forward to seeing all your bookish updates tomorrow :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. With our second summer owning a pool, I'm getting good at figuring out when to reapply sunscreen! I get burned every year because of that. I almost wish you could feel sunburn as you're getting it instead of much later...that would help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sunburn is never good but I love to feel as if I had fun in the sun and a sunburn has a way of reminding you of that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet your boy is happy to be home! I've had my share of sunscreen fails and it's not really summer until I'm badly burnt at least once. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic weekend! Is your whole face sunburned or just the top? It's hard to find a good sunscreen. I have one for the beach and pool but it turns your skin gray after an hour. Yuck! I've never seen that cover for East of Eden before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Silver lining: you look really cute with a sunburn. Sounds like a fantastic weekend full of sun and fun... And homemade BBQ sauce? That sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing is better than seeing your little ones having a blast!! Sounds like you all had a great time!

    Just thought I should let you know that my husband has skin cancer from being in the sun too much. As a kid he lived outside (we're in Florida so the sun is HOT). His dermatologist told him to never use sunscreen, to use sunblock. I use Neutrogena Age Shield face sunblock lotion SPR 110, helioplex broad spectrum uva & uvb. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you were able to sleep, in spite of your sunburn. It looks painful!!

    Sounds like a wonderful weekend. We were in Kansas City and had a good time, but it's always good to be home. Our granddaughter is here for two weeks and it's already going by far too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ouch! Poor you with the sunburn! I hope you have plenty of aloe on hand -- apart from that mishap, it sounds like an amazing weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik