Saturday, July 26, 2014

Weekend Cooking: Chicken Curry with SQUASH!

I mentioned in last Saturday's "Weekend Cooking" post that I've made it my summer mission to use up all of the zucchini and yellow crookneck squash coming out of our garden. And in walked The Pioneer Woman! Ok, she didn't walk in, but I do follow her in my feed reader, and I immediately pinned her recipe for Coconut Curry Shrimp which you'll see down below and modified it to fit my sneakiest of intentions. 

All hail the Pioneer Woman whose photo I'm using without permission. Don't sue me!
I love curry, and while my husband has never done Indian food, he does love a good Thai coconut soup, and the flavors in this curry dish are very similar. In my ongoing effort to use up our squash AND to sneak more veggies in on the men in my life, I took this as a prime opportunity. 

Chicken Coconut Super-Veggie Curry
  • 3 chicken breasts, cubed and cooked through
  • 1 huge yellow squash, cubed or diced
  • 1 huge zucchini, cubed or diced
  • 10 yellow cherry tomatoes, halved (remove skins if you don't like 'em)
  • 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 whole lime, juiced
  • 1 squirt of hot sesame oil (or red pepper flake! or Sriracha!) 
  • 1 handful of chopped cilantro
  • 2 cups of basmati rice cooked according to package directions
Start by cooking your chicken through with a bit of olive oil. I did this ahead of time, but you can do it as the first step in the process. Throw your diced and chopped veggies into the pot with your chicken to cook down a bit and get tender. I used a pot because this makes enough to feed an army. Deep sides are a good thing. Add all of the ingredients except the tomatoes and cilantro to the pot and let it simmer until your house smells stupidly good--about 10-15 minutes. Reserve the tomatoes and cilantro until the last 5 minutes if you don't want them to disintegrate.

Serve over basmati rice. We didn't eat anything with this dish since all of the veggies were built in, and it was a quick, week-night meal. However, a spinach salad would've been super awesome. 

This was slap yo' mama good. My husband and my son both loved the big flavor, and my son doesn't like anything but hot dogs and pizza. There were plenty of leftovers and we annihilated them the very next day.

Win!

Hosted by Beth Fish Reads!



17 comments:

  1. This sounds really yummy! We might be making it today (we already have all the ingredients in the house right now)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it if you decide(d) to make it!

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious - I love curries and this one looks simple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very simple! I've never made curry at home before, but this is now one of our faves.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a delicious recipe! I have a problem with big summer squash, though. (Too many seeds?) I have no problem with big zucchini, for some reason. We've been trying to pick and eat our squashes small this year, but they don't go as far in a recipe that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our summer squash haven't gotten too big, mostly just the zucchini. True! They are harder to stretch when they're on the small side. :)

      Delete
  4. I love Pioneer Woman! All the recipes of hers that I've tried have been tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She's a winner for me as well.

      Delete
  5. Oh this sounds so good and so easy. I have most of the ingredients in the house and we're grilling chicken tonight. If I have any chicken left over, I'm make a variation of this on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very easy! I hope you like it if you try!

      Delete
  6. This is such a great way to use up vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Even my child and husband like it!

      Delete
  7. Sounds yummy! I'll definitely try this recipe, because I LOVE curries. It's one of my favourite dishes to make. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooooooooo good! I hope you like it!

      Delete
  8. This looks amazing - I love curries and this is simple AND has vegetables. Thanks for sharing, I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing - simple AND has vegetables. I've pinned it, will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two of PW's cookbooks and almost every recipe I've tried has been a winner. This sounds like another great meal, although I'm not sure if my hubby will like the curry. I'll have to give it a try, maybe cutting the recipe in half the first time around. We're a rather small army. ;)

    If your hubby likes Thai food, you might give this recipe a try. My granddaughter practically begs for it when she comes out to visit! Super easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik