Saturday, July 19, 2014

Weekend Cooking: The Zucchini Parade

We have a garden, and that garden produces MASSIVE ZUCCHINI! Like these...


Go on ahead and click to embiggen those photos and you'll see the craziness of the zucchini size. Essentially, my goal this summer has been to figure out how to use ALL of the zucchini and yellow crookneck squash without our getting sick of zucchini and yellow crookneck squash. So far, I've succeeded! I'll be sharing a few recipes over the next few weeks, but I wanted to start with one of my faves. 

Zucchini Patties
  • 2 cups of grated zucchini and/or yellow squash
  • 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered or halved depending on size
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs (eyeball it)
  • half of a small onion, minced (or dried onion flakes)
  • a few good shakes of garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

Throw all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, squish it around with your hands, and start forming patties. You can really make these any size you like, but mine were probably half-dollar size. I knew I could sneak a zucchini patty that size in on my kiddo pretty easily.

Heat a skillet of your oil of choice on medium, plop down your fritters, and fry until golden on each side and thoroughly cooked through. Doesn't take long at all. Maybe 3 minutes per side. Maybe! Watch them like a hawk so you don't burn them.

After I've drained my patties on a paper towel, I like to serve them with sour cream and salsa for a refreshing summer meal. This most recent time around we ate them as a side with steak and jalapeno pinto beans. De-lish!

What are your favorite recipes to use up your summer squashes? 

Hosted by Beth Fish Reads




13 comments:

  1. These sound good! I've got a ton of zucchini including a few monsters as well. I'll definitely have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're super easy and a great way to use up veggies.

      Delete
  2. Yum - I love potato patties and these zucchini ones sound like a healthier alternative. I just got some great looking zucchini at the farmer's market this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are, and they're so flavorful!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I wish I had a problem with abundance of courgettes (zucchini). I wish I had a garden... Although I do seem to have the opposite of a green thumb and every plant i touch dies. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pretty terrible thumb myself, though my husband is really good!

      Delete
  4. I'd like to see some photos of your patties before and after cooking. They sound good. Nick still wouldn't eat...pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! At the time, I hadn't really planned on sharing, but I'll definitely try to take more pics next time. Sorry Nick wouldn't even consider trying them! Does he like fried okra and stuff like that at all?

      Delete
  5. Those sound wonderful! I've found you can grate zucchini and put it in just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm love zucchinis. I see zucchini parmesan and zucchini pies in the future, Andi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love roasted zucchini sprinkled with olive oil, salt, pepper and parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using up all those zucchini can be a challenge, can't it?! I normally grow only one plant a year, and I find that is quite enough to feed two of us with zucchini nearly every day for the season. Zucchini fritters are one of our favourite way of eating them. I make a chocolate zucchini and coconut slice too which is always very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite recipes. You can modify it to suit your family's tastes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik