Monday, August 11, 2014

East of Eden, Check-In #3!

Whoa, Nelly! It just keeps getting better. There is so much screwed-upedness in this novel, I don't even know what to think. A few rambling thoughts...

1. Those twins. They are quite the interesting pair. I love that Lee has taken the time with Cal to assure him that he is NOT his mother. He is not predisposed to be a bad kid. His decisions are still his own and he has control over them. Even though Aron is all goodness and light, I'm still a Cal fan.

2. Ohhhh Adam and your frozen lettuce. I really wanted that to work out, but alas that's not the fate of this ragtag bunch of losers. Also, what does everyone think of Tom? I'm not sure what to make of him. Also, what the hell was wrong with Dessie? I didn't feel like spelunking through Google to investigate.

3. The descriptions of her place as a "circus" with "watchers" made sort of sick.

Ugh! Can't wait to see how we round this one out! See you next week for the final check-in!


7 comments:

  1. Lee has always been my favorite character from this book. It's been a few years since I read it, but I just loved his influence on Cal. He's such a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me toooooooo! I could just eat him up. So glad he didn't bail like he'd planned.

      Delete
  2. This book keeps getting better and better. I can't believe there's only a week left. What am I going to do with my life after this ends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it??? I'm on the last 40 pages and it seems like it's been such a long read, but I can't wait to find out what happens.

      Delete
  3. Lee is also my favorite character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A quick Google search just now didn't reveal what was wrong with Dessie. I had guessed gallstones because I thought the doctor was packing stuff as if he might perform surgery, but someone at eastofeden.com speculated that it was peritonitis. I'm rooting for Cal, too. Aron doesn't seem good in the same way as Sam and Lee -- he's too showy and too careful to appear virtuous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik