Sunday, August 03, 2014

July 2014 Reading Wrap-Up!

HOW IS JULY OVER??? That means August is HERE, and I'll be right back to teaching online composition courses in addition to my regular eight-to-fiver. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

BUT, July was a month of reading. Or maybe "a month of looking at pictures." Even if a large chunk of my reading was graphic novels and picture books. It's been a long time since I've gone on an image binge, so it felt kinda good!




The Zoo Box, by Ariel Cohn and Aron Nels Steinke, was a cute graphic novel for the younger set. When the parents go out of the house for an evening, a young girl and her brother become part of a human zoo! 

Cinnamon and Gunpowder, by Eli Brown, was a rollicking sea adventure with beautiful writing, a really fun plot, and quirky characters. It doesn't get any better. 

Horrorstor, by Grady Hendrix, is one of the most unusual novels I've read in a while. Formatted like an IKEA catalog, this horror story plays out in a knockoff of the retail mecca. Thoughts coming closer to publication time!



The Shadow Hero, by Gene Luen Yang and Sonny Liew, was a big hit for me. I love everything Yang does, and this was no exception. A multicultural graphic novel about the first Asian American superhero! 

Sweet Tooth: Animal Armies (volume 3), by Jeff Lemire keeps this great series rolling. I can't get enough of Gus, his animal hybrid friends, and the forces of good and evil at war. 


Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys, by Stephen James and David Thomas, was a book I found on Literary Lindsey's blog, and I knew straight off I had to have it. Non-fiction about boys' developmental stages? Yes, please! I have a boisterous 4-year-old at home, so this is my bag. More coming soon! 




And speaking of my boisterous 4-year-old, he got some new picture books this month that we're really enjoying. 

I won Pig and Small, by Alex Latimer, and Stanley the Builder, by William Bee, during Armchair BEA. My son was keen to start reading both when they came into the house. Pig and Small seems to be the winner of his affections for now, but that can change. 

And you might remember that I already reviewed Pumpkin Time, by Erzsi De├ík! There's still time to win your own copy of this adorable book about gardening and seasons right over here

How was your July? What's on your plate for August? 





11 comments:

  1. If nothing else, your July had great covers!! Make the most of your August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only finished one book (in print format) in July, but it was outstanding. It was so good that I plan to listen to the audio just as soon as I can get my hands on it! The book is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Highly recommend!

    I also finished two audios: When She Woke by Hillary Jordan and This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash. Both were excellent!

    August? I should ignore all my books and spend my time writing reviews for the seven books I've finished. Of course, that will never happen since I'd rather read than write.

    Enjoy your last days of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pig and Small. Love it! Sadly the book reading as been dealt to Scott but I can't wait until Evie is interested enough to read with Elle so that I can have storytime back.

    July ended up being a great reading month for you--at least in variety! Without looking I think I finished 4 books, though East of Eden should surely count as two. :) Happy August. I'm in denial for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a month of graphic books here as well. Or at least a couple of weeks of that. I find it hard to get out of the graphic book mood once I am in it. Shadow Hero is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding The Zoo Box to my tbr list. It looks like a book my kids will enjoy. I hope August is another good reading month for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nurturing boys is a difficult thing to do! I've raised 3 boys...My last one graduated from high school. He'll still be at home, but wow! how did that happen. Enjoy your time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good month in books! Happy August reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun month! Soak up the summer before those online courses start ;) I know how that goes...I used to teach 2 of them in addition to my full time job...nice extra income, but oh the time commitment!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Horrorstor in my bag to read - I can't wait to hear what you thought about it and compare notes :-)

    I've been on a reading frenzy of picture books with my 3 year old grandson so I appreciate your recommendations of new ones! Right now he's enamored with Pete the Cat and The Pout-Pout Fish - my fave is Pete. . .it has just the right amount of cool to keep ME enjoying it while The Little Monkey loves reading and singing it right along with me.

    have a fabulous August!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I hear ya in the start of school. August got here way too quickly. I have review books for September to read for August. I've gotta get them done before school starts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An image binge sounds fun! I had a good July, and so far it's a quiet August for me. I'm not super excited about any books in particular at the moment; hoping something will grab me soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik