Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Zoo Box by Ariel Cohn and Aron Nels Steinke


The Zoo Box, by Ariel Cohn and Aron Nels Steinke is a gorgeous, sophisticated graphic book for young readers. 

After their parents leave for the evening, Erika and Patrick go exploring in the attic. They open a mysterious box and unleash a zoo...in their house! They know they need to be in bed by the time their parents come home, but that deadline is significantly challenged when the animals begin to escape and the children find themselves the focus of all the excitement.


I love this book for the young crowd--maybe even a transitional book from picture books to chapter books. It weighs in at 48 pages, so it's definitely a good trial run. The illustrations are beautiful and provide great tension. Let's face it...those kids had it coming when they unleashed a zoo while wearing animal costumes. Just sayin'! I think it would be great fun to read this with my son and see what he picks up from text to image. It definitely could be good for nurturing the ole critical thinking skills. 

I always love First Second, whether it's a book for grown-ups or for kids, so it's no surprise this one is a winner for me. This book is listed for 5-7 year olds, and I think that's a fair representation of the content. 

Pub. Date: July 2014
Publisher: First Second
Format: E-galley
ISBN: 1626720525
Source: Netgalley in exchange for review consideration. 





7 comments:

  1. Is this something common for that age group? I don't think I've seen anything like it, but I love the concept! It's like baby's first graphic novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a lot of fun! I will have to see if our library will be getting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks perfect! My son just discovered the more comic book style format and he's loving them. Plus the subject just sounds funny! I'll definitely have to get this one - looks like it might be a good Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delightful! I love the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so cute. C would FLIP over this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik