Friday, September 12, 2014

August '14 Favorites

August has gone, and it turned into a comics reading extravaganza! I downed quite a few books in August, despite my slump, so I'm just showing you my favorites of the bunch.


Girl Scouts who do Kung Fu? That's sort of the spirit of Lumberjanes, by Noelle Steveson (et al) from BOOM! Studios. These ladies all have great natural abilities and individualized qualities that add to their quirky team dynamic. This series could not be more fun. Weird bear ladies, river monsters, and yetis make cameo appearances. While I read the first three single issues in August, I zipped through the fourth and fifth single issues just yesterday!


I've been trying to hold off, but who am I kidding? I'll be downloading the other single issues of Ms. Marvel. This reincarnation of the original busty blonde is a gangly Muslim teen from Jersey. Totally in love. 


I read two stand alone graphic novels in August, and This One Summer, by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki, was all I'd hoped and more. A sensitive family story about a young girl on vacation with her parents. They can't stop fighting, and she's lucky to have a quirky friend to help her through the summer.



While I read some great novels in The Paying Guests and East of Eden, The Supernatural Enhancements, by Edgar Cantero, was a surprise standout for me. It's quirky, creepy, humorous and really mind-bendy. It's a perfect RIP read if you're so inclined.  

What were your August favorites? 






17 comments:

  1. So glad to see you enjoyed This One Summer - that book just totally worked for me. I'm definitely looking forward to getting to The Supernatural Enhancements soon (hopefully for RIP!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing a lot about Lumberjanes on Twitter. This One Summer looks really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I'll have to check out Lumberjanes! I really enjoyed Supernatural Enhancements and agree that it is a perfect RIP read.

    My favorite August read would probably be Tana French's The Secret Place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I've actually read two of the books you've mentioned! How very rare for me! :P

    And since I picked up Supernatural Enhancements on the strength of your review, I'm going to have to pick up the rest of these! (on that note, where do you download Ms Marvel from? Comixology?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've finally committed to taking the graphic novel plunge but I'm going to wait until the readathon to jump in! I will have to see if my library has Lumberjanes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You find the coolest graphic novels. I've already shared Lumberjanes with my goddaughter. I need to look into This One Summer, it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Supernatural Enchantments sounds really interesting! I really enjoyed Rainey Royal by Dylan Landis recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the first Lumberjanes and thought it was delightful! I'm excited to get several of them out so I can dive in for a longer period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the buzz on twitter has me really curious about Ms. Marvel! I'm such a sucker for wanting to read these in graphic novel form, though...I hate waiting for new installments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh look at all those graphic novels! I need to add more to my reading list this year for sure. Thank you for reminding me about the Edgar Cantero book - I have that one on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cover design for The Supernatural Enhancements and now that you recommend the content... Looks like a great pick for fall reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving Ms Marvel and based on your favourites I've gone and got Lumberjanes (Comixology is going to send me broke). This One Summer sounds interesting too but not on that site I source most of my comics.

    Thanks for this post, I'm trying to read more comics

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, August was not a stand-out month but I enjoyed The Future for Curious People by Gregory Sherl for its quirky characters, although it had a bit of a sagging middle. My favorite book is one that most people would find uncomfortable: Paramedico by Benjamin Gilmour. I love reading about EMS in action and it reads like a travelogue done from a paramedic's viewpoint. It is absolutely fascinating but definitely could turn a weak stomach. My best friend looked a little green when I described it, actually.

    I've got Boxers and Saints coming. Wahoo for graphic novels. They can be real lifesavers during a slumpy month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite read in August was The Circle by Dave Eggers. It's one of those great reads that I can't stop thinking about, but can't begin to formulate any sort of review. Argh! Can't I just say I loved it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mind-bendy sounds like just the thing to help pull a girl out of a slump!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lumberjanes sounds like so much fun! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. And i MUST read This One Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also read This One Summer in August, it was good, but i liked Skim much more. Have you read it? Same team, but I liked the story better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik