Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dewey's Oct. '14 Master Post!

Hour 24 and End of Event Survey!

That's right. I made it the WHOLE readathon. For the first time ever since I've been doing this (2007). 

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? THIS ONE!
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Comics in general, and I loved the short story collection Incendiary Girls
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Probably go to bed at a decent hour. But that's really just a tip for me. 
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The cheerleaders were at a huge disadvantage with 900+ readers, but they rallied and did GREAT. 
  5. How many books did you read? If single issue comics count, six.
  6. What were the names of the books you read? Lumberjanes #1, Sabrina #1, Wild's End #1, Indendiary Girls (short stories), Teen Dog #1, Wytches #1
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? Incendiary Girls
  8. Which did you enjoy least? Sabrina #1
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Rock it like you did this year. I'll try to get you some more help! 
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Duh. We'll be back. :D 
Goodnight!


Hour 19 Update!

WHOA! Where does the time go? I took a long break there. I also read nearly a whole book of short stories! I have 50 pages left, and I'm going to try my best to polish it off after my hosting shift which ends at the tail end of Hour 20. This is the closest I've gotten to finishing the whole shebang in a while! 

Oh, you want to know what the book is? 



Incendiary Girls, by Kodi Scheer. Amazing amazing! More to come! 



Hour 12 Mid-Event Survey!



1. What are you reading right now? Incendiary Girls by Kodi Scheer...amazing short stories!
2. How many books have you read so far? Not much more than earlier: three single issue comics, part of two books. 
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Finishing Spoiled Brats, by Simon Rich! 
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Hosting duty distractions. But nothing serious. 
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? People who complain on Twitter always surprise me, but it shouldn't after this long. 


Hour 8! Hour 8! Holy Crap, It's Getting Late!

Not really, but time does fly when you're having fun. Since I last checked in, I managed to polish off a couple more single issue comics and a bit of Brutal Youth, by Anthony Breznican.


Of the three, I definitely liked Wild's End #1 the best. Given, I'm not done with Brutal Youth yet, but we'll see how that shakes out. Up next....more comics! 


Almost Hour 5!
Wow, where does the time go? That's cliche but damn true! Breakfast was made, a shower was had, I even updated my online class because (oops) I forgot about them! I've wrangled some prizes, put out some fires, and Tweeted, cheered, and chatted with Heather. And Instagram! Don't forget that. Have I read? NOT SO MUCH!

But I'm going to do that now. Starting with...




Opening MEME
Good morning, friends. A cold came on me yesterday, so this might be one of the most interesting readathons yet. Interesting as in drowsy, cranky, snotty, and slow. There will be naps. In the meantime, here's my opening meme. 

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Just northeast of Dallas, TX! Which takes on a whole new connotation for people this year! #halfhearted Yay! 

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Lumberjanes #7!


3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? The broccoli beef we're making later. Not a snack, but still my fave. 


4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I've never tried a quince, but I'd like to. They sound cute. 


5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? Less stress! I hope! 

53 comments:

  1. I love broccoli! Enjoy and have a great readathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Andi to survive to your cold! And I hope you less stress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you sweet lady! My throat is all scratchy so I took some sleeping meds for the first time in YEARS and then Evie was up for half the night. Sigh. Hope you're feeling better STAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and the babes are doing ok today! Especially with Scott gone!

      Delete
  4. Oh no, after your hard work, you're sick? No good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better than I thought I would!

      Delete
  5. You and me both. I think that I have the beginnings of a sinus infection. Already planned to force myself to take a few naps. Hope you feel better! Happy reading, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noooo! I hope you're feeling ok today! <3

      Delete
  6. I'd like to try quince too ;) And that broccoli beef sounds AMAZING! Hope you feel better Andi!!! Naps seem to be a theme for people this year :p I know I'll be taking some myself. I woke up at FOUR this morning. I think I MIGHT have gotten four hours of sleep last night :/ *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? And yes, it is! We didn't get to have it though because we forgot the beef broth. OOPS! Hamburgers as a backup. I hope you're having a great day, Chris!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I'm about ready for my evening round of coffee.

      Delete
  8. I'm so jealous you're reading Lumberjanes #7! I'm waiting for #3 to come, backordered, and so am trying not to let myself read 4-7 yet. It's difficult!
    Happy readaathoning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, you will love 'em all, Amy!

      Delete
  9. Good luck in the readathon! Knock 'em dead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feel better, Darlin'!!!
    Possibly best answer to #4 ever. :)
    Thank you, Andi!!! Sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning, my dear Rob! Let's do this thing! With colds and snot no less! Woot! *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting....I imagine you know that's me. lol

      Delete
    2. Hahah! Yep, it does it to me all the freaking time. Gah!

      Delete
  12. Hope you're feeling better - a stuffy head is no fun. The broccoli sounds great - I consider it a snack! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! So far, so good!

      Delete
  13. Naps are going to be a must for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had one yet, but it's alllllmost time.

      Delete
  14. Hope you're feeling better and have fun reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody! It's been a good day!

      Delete
  15. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope you find some comfort from a warm quilt and a book! I was having a hard time finding people to cheer for (can't tell if they're participating yet), then I saw you were on my assigned team. I knew YOU would be here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All's well as the cold seems to have let up some. Cheers to you, Sherry Ann!

      Delete
  16. Lumberjanes looks great: I've got to check that out! Good luck with your reading alongside everything else. And thanks so much for all the work you're doing to make this such a great event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome! So fun and quirky and full of spunk! Thank YOU for being with us! :D

      Delete
  17. Sounds like your cold isn't keeping you too down...feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's let up quite a bit. Haven't even had to drug up!

      Delete
  18. I hope you haven't had to put out too many fires today. I bet it gets lots quieter in the night time...maybe you can get a little more reading done then!

    If you need a little singing boost as you read along: Here's Singing My Way Through the Readathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not tooooo many, Deb! It is definitely quieter at night, and I have a night shift! I LOVE YOUR POST!

      Delete
  19. Woooo, comics! I think I'm going to jump into Locke & Key after the halfway point... when it's nice and dark out :) Happy reading! Go, go, go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes girl, yes! I'm still bummed I forgot to ILL some of those.

      Delete
  20. You're in the home stretch, great job attempting such an intense read-a-thon!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice job! Enjoy the second half of the #readathon.

    --Janel from #TeamHughes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boo hickey. Hopefully not complaining about THE readathon. Some people are just grumpy no matter what. And I think many don't realize ALL the work. YOU ARE THE AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for doing such an amazing job with the Readathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you've been having a great day! Thank you so much for all the hard work you do to pull this off every 6 months! Truly, you are awesome! And Dewey would be so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for all of the work you did. I'll try to be a cheerleader the next time I participate. I'm not sure if I can do it in April as that is my busiest month of the year. But, I will try. If not, October for sure. I appreciated all the cheering people did for me my first time around. I was feeling icky, but happy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you (thank you) for doing this. I will sign on for cheerleading in April. Did it last April and loved the sense of community it gives (and makes me "get out there" lol). Have a great sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't believe you did the whole thing! So awesome. I hope you get a bit of a nap and some rest today. Can't thank you and Heather enough for all the hard work you do - the best bookish event, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm amazed you did the whole thing. That's incredible. Your all do such a great job, THANK YOU for making this such a great event every time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for a fun time, you all do so much work. Being a cheerleader for the first time was FUN but we really were at a huge disadvantage. Wow!! It was fun tho! Looking forward the next one. If you ever need any help, feel free to let me know. :) Here's my Wrap Up Post.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope you had a great readathon, good to see you got some reading done :) good luck on recovering

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wahhhh, awesome, congratulations on making it through the whole thing!! :D I had a great time cheerleading for the first time ^-^ Thanks for all the work you do to keep this event happening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik