Wednesday, October 29, 2014

RIP IX - The Comics! Wytches and Sabrina

What to read in the early morning hours of a 24 Hour Readathon? You guessed it! Comics are my choice. I had a couple of review copies on my e-reader, so this is what I read that was RIP IX-worthy. 

Wytches #1 by Scott Snyder and JOCK opens with a bang! It's quite violent and grisly, a true horror comic, so beware if that's not your bag. 

Across the globe, century after century, men and women were burned, drowned, hanged, tortured, imprisoned, persecuted, and murdered for witchcraft. None of them were witches. They died protecting a terrible and hidden truth: witches, real witches, are out there. They are ancient, elusive, and deadly creatures that are rarely seen and even more rarely survived. (via Goodreads)

I probably need to re-read this one since I actually went through it at 3:30 am during the Readathon, but it was a fairly shocking start to the series, and the artwork was rough and a little chicken scratchy. That's a terrible descriptor, but it definitely played into the fact that in this story witches are primordial nature dwellers who can suck their victims into trees to imprison them. Thing long craggy fingers, fingernails, tree branches, scratching on windows. That kind of visual and that kind of scary vibe run all the way through this first installment. I definitely want to read more. 

On the other end of the spectrum we have Sabrina #1 from Archie Comics, created by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack. Remember Sabrina the Teenage Witch? This is her, rebooted. While this is lauded as a "darker take on Sabrina," it wasn't terribly dark, especially in comparison to Wytches

Terror is born anew in this dark re-imagining of Sabrina the Teenage Witch’s origin. On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, the young sorceress finds herself at a crossroads, having to choose between an unearthly destiny and her mortal boyfriend, Harvey. But a foe from her family’s past has arrived in Greendale, Madame Satan, and she has her own deadly agenda. (via Goodreads)

Overall, while this one was fun, it was also silly, and I wasn't a huge fan of the artwork. If you're into the Archie universe, give it a go. Others might end up in the "so so" boat with me. 

That's all for now! I read more comics during the Readathon, so you'll see reviews of those soon. 

Wytches #1
Pub. Date: October 2014
Publisher: Image Comics
Format: E-galley
Source: Publisher for review consideration.

Sabrina #1
Pub. Date: October 2014
Publisher: Boom! Studios
Format: E-galley
Source: Publisher for review consideration.



12 comments:

  1. OMG. I LOVED Sabrina.... but, I don't love Archie. So, while it sounds good in theory, I probably wouldn't care for it much either. Wytches sounds really interesting though, I like dark reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just not really into the whole Archie universe. It was ok. Wytches was definitely worth a read!

      Delete
  2. Ohh Wytches. I won't be able to read this close to Halloween but I'll put it on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was super excited about the Sabrina comic until your "so so" designation. Oh well :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're into Sabrina you might like it, but the whole Archie universe is just not my fave.

      Delete
  4. The only horror comics that truly scared me was Locke and Key. I have heard a lot about Wytches and now I guess it's time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Locke and Key creeped me out, too. That first installment, especially. I have volume three waiting for me at the library, and I can hardly wait!

      Delete
  5. You're braver than I am. I'm not sure I could ever read Wytches, and definitely not in the middle of a cold dark night! Sabrina is much more my speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, it's not my usual middle-of-the-night fare either, but during Readathon it definitely helped keep me awake! lol

      Delete
  6. Sabrina! I never read the comics but I watched that TV show. I'm curious!
    But even more so about Wytches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them both if you get ahold of them, Sharlene!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik