Sunday, October 05, 2014

TSS - A Reading Twinge: Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Sometimes when I'm overcoming a slump, the urge to read comes back in twinges. Sometimes it's just a general need to read while other times it's a specific book calling to me. 

In this case, the book is SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER. 


Ha! Bloody murder. So to speak. 

Ahem!

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory, by Caitlin Doughty, has been on my radar since I first heard whispering about it in the blogosphere when the ARCs went out. In general, non-fiction seems to have great slump busting qualities for me, so I'm hoping this is the one. 

I downloaded the preview a couple of weeks ago, and I absolutely sucked it down. Doughty is humorous and honest and thoughtful and adorable. 

Really, I know she's adorable because of her YouTube channel, Order of the Good Death. If you're interested in topics related to the funeral industry, check out this book and channel. 

Here's a little taste of the book's blurb so you can see what I'm so excited about...
Most people want to avoid thinking about death, but Caitlin Doughty—a twenty-something with a degree in medieval history and a flair for the macabre—took a job at a crematory, turning morbid curiosity into her life’s work. Thrown into a profession of gallows humor and vivid characters (both living and very dead), Caitlin learned to navigate the secretive culture of those who care for the deceased.
A big thank you to Heather who is reading this one right now and is so excited about it that she sent this book to me as an early birthday present. She's so sweet!

Let's dig in, shall we?




32 comments:

  1. 1) Happy early birthday!

    2) This looks awesome. Hope it busts the slump for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerry! So far, so good! I just love her down-to-Earthness.

      Delete
  2. This one is calling to me, too!! (unfortunately, so are SO MANY other books haha) Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Most of the time it's like a chorus from my bookshelves. This one is the clear winner this time, though.

      Delete
  3. All it takes for me is one amazing book. Hope this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one set aside for Nonfiction November and can't wait to get to it. I'm glad it caught you quick, that's always a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I forgot about Nonfiction November. I have plenty more to choose from. Since non-fic is usually such a great slump buster for me, I may try to keep the good times rolling.

      Delete
  5. This sounds pretty good! I hope it's the book that breaks your slump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vasilly! I hold out hope!

      Delete
  6. I've been eying this book. It's a ways away, but I think it might be my birthday present to myself. (I love that *this* book is being connected to birthdays!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once bought Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers for my mother for Mother's Day. It's a thing! lol

      Delete
  7. Ha! Sounds unique. Hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Dive in! IT IS SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't bring myself to want to read about a crematorium, but maybe this is one of those books that you just have to trust everyone else on and read it anyway! Will look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like untold topics like this one. My curiosity always gets the better of me. :D

      Delete
  10. Oh that's doubley exciting, having a good book and a slump buster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not be happier. I needed SOMETHING.

      Delete
  11. I need this one in my life! (You always do this to me, lol) I've meant to read Stiff forEVER and this one sounds just a groovy. I can't wait to hear what you think. I think the topic is beyond interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do! Stiff is amazing, and this one is definitely groovy. My mother, the really morbid woman who loves forensics, adored Stiff, but she liked this one just as much.

      Delete
  12. I've heard good things about this one. Hooray for slump-busting reads!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm..thinking I need to read this one!! Good readathon book??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Incredibly compelling and not super long.

      Delete
  14. I loved this one! It was so funny and gross and interesting. I've been shoving it at people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of it, Kim!

      Delete
  15. Sounds funnnn! I am reading a book about a girl who worked in a funeral home growing up, and so far there are not enough gross details. More gross details is my demand! :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am ho-hum over NF most of the time but this one sounds good and you sucking it down is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Didn't think she would be so young. Maybe only a young person could handle such a macabre job.(: We need more people like her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have this one on the to-read list. Looks like I should get to it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik