Sunday, November 02, 2014

October in Review!


Thanks to the Readathon, October was a great reading month! Without it, I'm not sure where I'd be. October was a mish-mash of novels, short stories, nonfiction and single-issue comics, and there were some definite stars in each group.

I can't pick a hands-down favorite this month, but I loved...


Short stories really seemed to take the cake, which Incendiary Girls and Spoiled Brats both blowing my socks off. I've already posted my glowing review of Spoiled Brats, and I can't wait to glow about Incendiary Girls later in the week. 


I accidentally left Lumberjanes #7 out of my graphic up top. I adored this issue just as I've adored all the rest, so I want to take a moment to praise another great comic I read this month. Wild's End #1, by Dan Abnett and I.N.J. Culbard
Inspired by the sci-fi aesthetic of War of the Worlds and the anthropomorphic characters of Blacksad and Mouse Guard, readers will be blown away by Culbard’s art. When a rural English community of the 1930s is the victim of an alien invasion, the residents’ lives are upended. Led by the town’s outsider and retired war veteran, they will have to rally together to uncover the secret of their invaders and ultimately fight back. (via Boom! Studios website)
I'm itching for more issues of this. The artwork is just breathtaking, and the characters are unique and fun, amidst all the alien invading. I have a feeling there's much more to uncover about these folks in future issues.

What impressed you in October?  




25 comments:

  1. Spoiled Brats is on my list as one of the first fictions to tackle after Nonfiction November...looking forward to it!
    My October Round-Up is up today...my Bloglovin feed is down (again!) :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it as much as I did, Sarah! Sorry to hear about your bloglovin feed!

      Delete
  2. I really need to read more graphic novels. They used to be a large part of my reading, but lately they've fallen to the wayside. October for me was Blue Lily, Lily Blue despite the other awesome books I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My graphic novel consumption has really skyrocketed since I started using ILL. Before that it was just too hard to come by affordable ones.

      Delete
  3. I think I need to hop on the short story train. I haven't read any in years but there have been several volumes that have received raves lately. Glad you had a great month. I wasted TOO much time on Drood but am now looking forward to nonfiction this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've ditched Drood and moved on to more enjoyable reading. Life is too short, indeed! If you ever need short story recs, I've got 'em!

      Delete
  4. I loved Spoiled Brats too and will watch for your review of Incendiary Girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo good, wasn't it? Incendiary Girls is coming up this week!

      Delete
  5. Spoiled Brats looks awesome! I definitely got my eye on it!
    Happy November reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! Happy November reading to you!

      Delete
  6. What impressed me most about October was the complete exhaustion I experienced! One of my friends told me this is when teachers enter the "disillusionment phase," and I have to agree. I got lost in China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, which took me out of this world into a completely alien universe, for which I am extremely grateful. Also grateful for all the days off in November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that re: disillusionment phase! I have so much to do for my online classes it's sort of overwhelming. Enjoy those upcoming days off!

      Delete
  7. The artwork on Wild's End looks very intriguing. I might have to see if I can get my hands on a copy.

    I think my highlight for October was Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan (which I think was published as The Brides of Rollrock Island in the UK and US)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely stunning! So lush and it really pulled me into the story. I have the Lanagan book on my ereader! Sounds like I need to bump it up on my "to read" list!

      Delete
  8. I read A Month in the Country and I got my literary fiction mojo going again.

    www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Spoiled Brats! I'm really excited to hear more about Incendiary Girls...I'm kind of on a short story kick right now. Who would have thought?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? Same here. Incendiary Girls is coming up this week. Can't wait to share what I thought!

      Delete
  10. I am sooo glad you loved Incendiary Girls -- it knocked my socks off too! I even giving away a copy (or any other short story collection I'm recommending) for the LitBlogHop! Pop on over, Andi :) http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2014/10/literary-blog-hop-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad someone else has read it! I've seen almost nothing about it, and it deserves ALL the attention! Thanks for the heads up about the giveaway!

      Delete
  11. You and Shannon make me want to read Spoiled Brats. Your October looked like a fantastic month of reading. Lots of variety there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I think you would be IN LOVE with the snarky humor.

      Delete
  12. Aghh I need to read Spoiled Brats! Simon Rich is the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really think I need to get my hands on Lumberjanes, especially with how much you rave about it!

    I think my fave read from October was probably The Haunting of Hill House. I really liked that one, but Unbroken was a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am only now getting back into a reading groove after Duncan's birth and adjusting to two kiddos but am really looking forward to following this in December - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik