Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thankful for Comics!

Image credit
And the holiday season is in full swing! My head is full of recipes, gift ideas, and dreams of pumpkin pie.

Has the crazy kicked in for you yet?

I haven't had much down time because I've been revising an online literature course for spring, not to mention tons of grading for my existing online classes.

When I do have time to sit down with a book, I'm mostly picking up comics. That seems to be the theme for 2014 in general, so I'm sure no one is surprised.

I read Batgirl #36 this week and LOVED IT even more than the first issue. If you haven't been following this one, Batgirl has a new, more laid back persona. She's a super smart grad student trying to bust a high-tech criminal mastermind causing trouble around Gotham. 

I also plan to pick up Gotham Academy #2 in the coming week. I'm not exactly sure what's shaking in this one just yet. The first issue set up that we're dealing with a slightly creepy academy in Gotham, obviously, but I'm not sure of the main characters' identity yet. That could be because I don't read about caped superheroes very often, but I'm digging the suspense! 

A while ago, I picked up a copy of Masters of the Universe (yes, like He-Man), because it had She-Ra on the cover looking all bad ass. Well, I couldn't help myself, and I picked up one of the back issues as well. Because I was She-Ra for Halloween when I was six, and I've never stopped loving her! 

Finally, I grabbed issues #2 and #3 of Wild's End. This is a bunch of British anthropomorphic animals being invaded by aliens. I read the first installment for the Dewey's Readathon, and now I'm smitten! 

Have you read any great comics lately? What's on your comics TBR? 


  1. I keep forgetting about Wild's End. Thanks for the reminder.

    In my immediate comics TBR is the latest Lumberjanes, the last of Y the Last Man (you need to read this series), and Displacement by Lucy Knisley. I need to find a new series! Maybe I'll start Sandman.

  2. I feel the same way about comics this year! Great comics I've read lately: Saga series, the latest volume in Fables, Can We Talk About Something More Pleasant by Roz Chast, and Tomboy by Liz Prince.

  3. Ooh, what a list! I am looking forward to Lumberjanes coming out in a collection that my library will buy - everyone talks about it so positively! And after the drama surrounding Rat Queens, I'm hoping that Lumberjanes will give me my badass woman kick!

  4. I had a She-Ra sleeping bag! Man. I wonder if that's still in my closet at my parents' house. That thing was SWEET.

  5. I hung out with my friend Matt recently, and by great good fortune, he's been reading ONLY COMICS for the past few months. (There's a new comics store near his apartment, and the proprietors are liberal with their recommendations.) So I have several new recommendations written down soooooomewhere. Alex and Ada, I think is one?


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik