Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Post-Birthday Blush! And David Sedaris!


What an awesome birthday I had. I really have the best bunch of family, friends, and online buddies around. But let's back up a step...


I turned 34 last Monday, and my husband has been taunting me with promises of an amazing gift for MONTHS. He's been positively gloating. As the day got closer and closer, he got gloatier and gloatier, until the moment finally arrived.

The verdict...

BEST LITERARY GIFT EVER. Two tickets to see David Sedaris speak last Tuesday.


The program was part of the Dallas Museum of Art's Arts and Letters Live series, and it took place at the AT&T Performing Arts Center in Dallas. They were really hardcore about not taking pics or video during the event, so unfortunately, all you get is a promo shot. Ha! 

From the moment Sedaris came onto the stage, he was absolutely hilarious. He read all unpublished material, one essay of which, "Leviathan," was especially touching in his warped, roundabout way. It'll be published soon in The New Yorker, if I'm remembering correctly. I'll share a link when I see it surface. 

He read for about an hour and a half, talked off the cuff quite a bit, and did a short Q&A with the audience. I've loved David Sedaris for ages, and now I love him even more. It just doesn't get any better than hearing him speak in person. 


But back to the actual evening of my birthday. David, Greyson and I had dinner with my mom. There were burgers, cake. Plenty of laughs. And then...the gift "from Greyson." A signed first edition of Naked! While there was a signing after Sedaris's speaking event, I was so dang tired, there was no way I was willing to stay until the early hours of the morning in line. Luckily, I don't have to feel bad since I already have a signature all my own. :) 

My husband is officially the King of Gifts. My mom is pretty close, as she gave me a very nice cash gift to go clothes shopping...one of my favorite things lately. And a big thank you to all of you who wished me well on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and elsewhere. You made me smile all day long. 







23 comments:

  1. Hooray for awesome birthdays! May this year be just as good as the actual celebration!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great birthday! The Sedaris event sounds so fun. I'm ashamed to admit I still have not read any of his work . . . must make that a goal in 2015. I've heard so many good things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I bet that was an awesome event! Sedaris is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic birthday and what a thoughtful husband! I'm glad you enjoyed Sedaris's talk. It's been ages since I've read anything by him but I always enjoyed his books. It's good to know that he's as good live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! Happy birthday again--sounds like it was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved seeing David Sedaris, so I'm glad he was even better than you hoped for! I hope you had a fantastic birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David is totally the king of gifts. He should give all of our DHs and S.O.'s some pointers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a hubby you have! Happy birthday and I know you're going to have a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a smart husband!! congrats to you both! I love Sedaris and he came in my area last year, but it was quite expensive for our budget, and that was not the time of my birthday, lol or sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome birthday with your boys, books, and blouses!!! I have not read Sedaris but would like to since he grew up where I live now so they still consider him a local author :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, why an awesome gift! One you'll remember forever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you had such an awesome birthday. More is coming, if I can ever remember to bring your present to work with me, SO I CAN MAIL IT. {sigh}

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing gift! Sounds like it was a great night. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Darling! What an absolute treat! I would LOVE to see David Sedaris one day! He did come to my cornfield once, but it was on my husband's birthday. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a terrific birthday :) Happy Birthday, Andi!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday! I am so glad it was so wonderful - how memorable! And how great to have TWO awesome gift-givers in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell the King (and Prince Greyson) my birthday is in April, so they have plenty of time to plan something equally awesome. ;-)
    So glad you had such a memorable birthday and your guys treated you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun! What an awesome gift -- so glad you had a nice birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dream birthday! And many happy returns from me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing birthday!!! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like David is spot on with his literary gifts!! He's given you some amazing ones. If he would like Scott's number, I'm happy to give it out. LOL! (kidding). So glad you had a wonderful wonderful birthday--a memorable one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent birthday present from your husband! Glad to hear you had a great birthday Andi! Now when are you coming back to Booktube. I miss your videos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik