Tuesday, December 02, 2014

#AMonthofFaves: 5 Books By Theme

For today's A Month of Favorites, tell us about five of your favorite books...by theme! Some ideas: audiobooks, fantasy, science fiction, mysteries, books with surprise twists, surprise endings, non-fiction, books that made you cry, laugh out loud, cringe, book boyfriends that stole your heart, apocalypse, dystopian, best books with kick ass girls, favorite siblings, couples, friends, most hated and loved villains. Link up your post today below!

For my list of favorites, I'm going with favorite young protagonists! I have to admit, I'm usually not a fan of books starring young'uns. I know, I'm weird that way. Occasionally, though, a book with a young protagonist will worm its way into my heart in a big way. These are the best of the best! 



The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett, took me by surprise a bit. I knew I'd love it, because it was recommended by some of my favorite readers, but I still dragged my feet for a while. Alas, I fell head over heels for the hard-headed, highly observant and resourceful young witch, Tiffany Aching. 

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, by Alan Bradley, stars the best young female protagonist, the highly sarcastic, super smart, adept-with-poisons, Flavia de Luce. If you haven't read these books yet, she's just as great as everyone makes her out to be. 

 

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith, was another book I put off reading for-e-ver! And I kicked myself when I finally read it. I loooooved it! Francie Nolan is an insightful, strong young lady, and she grows up to be just as fabulous. 

Bastard Out of Carolina, by Dorothy Allison, has one of the most sympathetic protagonists in literature with Ruth Anne Boatwright, or Bone. I felt for her, I pulled for her, my heart broke for her. What a powerful novel. 


Finally, a young male protagonist! In Sweet Tooth: Out of the Deep Woods (volume 1), by Jeff Lemire, Gus is a half human/half animal hybrid raised by a religious fanatic. He's so sweet and soft-hearted and totally unprepared for a world full of terror and war. You can't help but root for him. 

Are there any young protagonists especially close to your heart? 

30 comments:

  1. I WILL read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn soon. Promise. And thank you for reminding me of Bastard Out of Carolina...I've been trying to figure out which free-range pick I wanted to go with next and THAT'S IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you will love it hard! Both of 'em!

      Delete
    2. OMG, now Shannon hasn't read it! I have a new mission! WOOT!

      Delete
  2. The author of Bastard Out of Carolina is from the Upstate and I believe the book is set here so I bought it a couple of years ago. It's still lingering on my shelves, though. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooo good! A hard book to read in spots but so well written.

      Delete
  3. are we supposed to list the post for Dec on the same linky used for Dec 1 at Girlxoxo? she has not posted anything for today yet. sorry, bit confused here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was under the impression that was the plan. Just Tweeted her to find out! She may have just gotten busy this morning. :)

      Delete
  4. My cousin LOVES the Flavia de Luce books! I need to give them a shot! I'm a bit confused on the Linky for today as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The linky seems to be MIA! I think I'll add one here for everyone. Definitely try Flavia!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Right??? They kick the tail.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for hosting the linkup Andi!! I didn't see it before, so there might be some confusing tweets (ignore :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! Glad to do it.

      Delete
  7. Oh, so many... Lyra in The Golden Compass. Harriet the Spy. Jane Eyre. Tenar in The Tombs of Atuan. Hmm...these are all girls. How about Eugenides in The Thief (not extremely young, but perhaps still qualifies.) Jamie in the Homeward Bounders. I could keep going, but I'll stop now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love so many of the ones you listed. Jane! Lyra!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for giving us a place to link up. Bastard out of Carolina has been sitting on my nightstand for ages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Bastard Out of Carolina is amazing and maddening all at once. Definitely a fave of the year.

      Delete
  9. (I'm sorry for the name of my linky * blush*)

    I don't know if it's weird but I'm not a big fan of books with children or teenagers as main characters (and yet, I could list some of them so I suppose I need to think about it one day).

    Sweet Tooth seems really interesting but I don't like the drawing (for what I can see on the cover). It's often my problem with comics or graphic novels. I'm quite difficult ;) My Library has other works of Jeff Lemire but not this one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, don't apologize. I absolutely loved that title and laughed out loud. :D I'm not a fan of them either, which is why it surprised even me that I picked this topic! lol

      Sweet Tooth is a great premise. There are a lot of comics and graphic novels I pick up and don't love the artwork, but MOST of the time, the plot helps overtake that aversion. Not always, but much of the time. And as I'm reading I like to analyze why the creator might've chosen that style and how it adds to the work as a whole. Interesting stuff!

      Delete
    2. You're really an expert now :) I remember not liking the artwork of V for Vendetta (my ex-boyfriend loved this serie and wanted me to read it. It was like homework -_-). Then the movie was out and we went and see it: I loved it and I've been motivated to finish the books because, even if the artwork was still awful according to me (after seeing the movie, it was even worse), I had understood that the plot was really great.

      Delete
  10. Flavia, yay!
    I love young protagonists.
    Grayson from Gracefully Grayson and Ophelia from Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I need to read both of those!

      Delete
  11. I haven't read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn yet, and I keep meaning too but never getting around to doing it! Great recs as always Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get around to it soon! It took me a few false starts to get into it, but it was SO good when I did!

      Delete
  12. Oh, I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and that strong, brave girl! There are so many protagonists I love, and those I love to hate (such as Briony from Atonement). That's a whole list in itself for another day. Thanks for hosting! ~Bellezza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, Briony was a pill! Maybe that'll be my next list..."Protagonists I Wanted to Drop Kick."

      Delete
  13. Bastard Out of Carolina is one of my most memorable reads ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I am really curious about Bastard Out of Carolina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Flavia and its one if the series I need to finish. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is in my TBR too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik