Thursday, December 04, 2014

#AMonthofFaves: 6 Degrees of Separation!

Awww, y'all! I've never done the 6 Degrees of Separation meme, and I was coming into this a little nervy about it! Given, there's no right or wrong way (really, right?), but I'm diving in with both feet. Hold onto your butt!


Annabel picked The Narrow Road to the Deep North, by Richard Flanagan, to be this month's jumping off point. In the Goodreads blurb (because I haven't read this one), it says the protagonist does lots of traveling and ends up at a Japanese snow festival. That immediately made me jump back to a book-in-translation I was reading this time last year...


Snow Country, by Yasunari Kawabata, was not my favorite read, but it was definitely memorable and conjured up plenty of vivid imagery while I was reading. This one is about doomed love, and given its snowy setting, I popped over to...


A Reliable Wife, by Robert Goolrick, is a controversial book that people seem to either love or hate. It's another snowy, forbidding setting and the story revolves around a doomed relationship and suspenseful seduction. So how could I not think of...


Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte! Doomed love on a plate, right here! This was another novel that wasn't an absolute home run, but I was struck by the depth of its screwiness and the passion in the characters, which leads me to...


Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. Lots of passion. Lots of screwiness. I ate this one up and love me some Jamie Fraser. Speaking of time travel and emooootion...


The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger! I was completely and utterly struck by how much this book RIPPED my heart out! What an emotional ride. Claire, the protagonist, is an art librarian. Art you say?


What I Loved, by Siri Hustvedt is about an artists! And art professors! And crazy people and murder! The writing is beautiful and the experience is just out of this world. SO MUCH to chew over! 

And there you have it. One jumping-off point, and a romp through six books...several of which I would consider faves. 



Let's see what you come up with! 

Learn all about this event HERE!

Looks like the Annabel Smith link-up doesn't go live until December 6, so you can link up here in the meantime!

19 comments:

  1. Nice progression. I loved Hustvedt's The Blazing World. It's also about art and artists. I must read What I Loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I started reading The Blazing World a while back, but I've been so finicky and slumpy, I didn't manage to finish it. I really want to backtrack and try again. Hustvedt is GREAT almost all of the time, in my opinion. :)

      Delete
  2. I love seeing these Six Degrees of Separation posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fun! It's like a peek behind the curtain into everyone's wonky thought process.

      Delete
  3. Ha! I love the link from Outlander to Time Traveler's Wife. It definitely works but I was in such different places in my life when I read those books, that I never would have put them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, same here! Not sure how I put some of these together. Sometimes I explain my thought process to my husband and he's totally baffled.

      Delete
  4. So, now, you can tell me which way we had to do this ;) I haven't dared to ask before posting...

    Great ideas, in particular between the Goolrick's (DNF) and the Brontë's. I've never read Kawabata: I'm afraid it is too strange for me but now I'm curious about it.

    Today, there should be fantastic posts! (I do not have enough time to read & comment them all unfortunately).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, there's no "right" way. Thanks! I'd never thought of Goolrick and the Brontes together until this. Crazy!

      Delete
  5. I've read yours and Heather's and this meme is so much fun. You both did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to read them all soon. Can't wait to see what everyone came up with!

      Delete
  6. Somehow, I missed the correct book to jump off from. However, I did connect six books that I loved this year!

    As for yours, you picked some of my favorites, too. Reliable Wife? Wonderful! Time Traveler's Wife? Wonderful, too, and good connections. Thanks, Andi.
    ~Bellezza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't have to use this book. I forgot our "instructions" just said a favorite book. It's funny to see what spun off of a book I haven't even read yet. I was over on Goodreads checking out the description, for sure! lol

      Delete
  7. It was my first time doing this meme as well. It was really fun! And I agree with you, there's really no wrong here. I'm dying to read outlander and the time traveler's wife. They are definitely some me books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, wasn't it? I'll definitely do it again. I hope you love Outlander and Time Traveler's when you get to them. SO good!

      Delete
  8. I love your connections. What I Loved sounds like one I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I adore Time Traveler's Wife, AND What I Loved - have re-read it twice, which is something I rarely do, and gifted it a few times. So glad you joined our meme, I hope you'll play again - next month the chain starts with We Need to Talk About Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great meme. This reminds me I should get out in the blogging world more. :)
    I love your post, Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, you should be doing these ALL THE TIME. Sheer brilliance.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik