Monday, December 01, 2014

#AMonthofFaves - Intro!


Good morning one and all! Today's the first day of December: A Month of Favorites hosted by Girlxoxo, Traveling with T, and myself! For today you can link up over at Girlxoxo and read others' posts. 

For the very first topic of our month of December favorites, tell us a little about YOU and your reading this year! Do you have a sense of any trends in your reading this year? Favorite genres or authors? How much you read in print vs. e-reader or audio? Give us an overview! 

For me it's been a very odd year for reading and blogging. I've read 70+ books, and my goal of 80 is in sight, but many of those have been short or single issue comics, which read so quickly it feels like cheating! Overall, I've found myself in a really tough spot mentally. I got married in March, I have a four-year-old running around the house, and I work full-time as a PR Director AND I teach online composition and literature courses for colleges and universities in other states. I'm so busy, so consumed with work, family, and life that sitting down with a book is increasingly difficult. This year has been one big slump, even though my stats haven't changed much from last year.

I'm really glad that it's been a year of comics reading. For many years I let my interest in comics and graphic novels slide to the wayside because my local libraries don't carry much in the way of these books. This has been a year of Interlibrary Loan! It's easier than ever because I work at a university with a fantastic ILL program. I can request any comic or graphic novel my heart desires, and they come to me lightning-fast! 

So that's a quick look at my year of reading, or my struggles with reading. How's yours? 



17 comments:

  1. You sound like you have a ton going on! And, trying to read when you have young kids is very difficult, but it's also my respite and time for a little peace and quiet...even if it's rare! Cheers to a better reading 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interlibrary loan is a treat. It is even easier for me since my wife works at a university library. Whenever I think of ILL I think of Jo Walton's novel, Among Others.

    Look forward to reading your posts for this month's event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh when life gets in the way it always feels like it's harder to read, but then again, look at the amazing things happening! I mean, wedding? Panels? that beautiful boy of yours? Andi, you are killing it and I won't hear otherwise :D.
    From my side, I think 2015 will be a hard year to read, so I am doing a lot of planning to do everything I want/have to next year and still manage to read.

    @Carl: the first time I heard about ILL was also Among Others! I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for inter-library loan! That is how I keep my library pile manageable. While the kids are free to explore the shelves and take home a giant pile, I tend to stick to my loans that are waiting behind the counter.

    With everything that you have going on, I think you are rocking the reading and the blogging. Plus, you are introducing new comics to some of us newbies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing at Amanda. ILL represent indeed!

    Hurray for comics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with CaroG + you do not have mention the organization of two read-a-thons which is a lot of work too for the joy of so many readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want 2015 to include more graphic novels for me! I've loved hearing about the ones you've been reading this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been working more this year and I honestly don't see how young working moms read and blog. I sure wouldn't consider 70+ books a slump if I was you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You call 70 books a slump with a wedding, kid, full time job and teaching classes? I am exhausted looking at your accomplishments. I am catching up tomorrow with today and tomorrow's month of faves discussion. I had to count #of pages to make myself feel better about barely making it halfway to my goal of 55 books read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great finding reading material that you loved! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine how you do what you do with a four year old, a new husband, and work. Keep reading what you want to read, when you want to read it, Andi! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we definitely need to see any reading as a success no matter what genre, format, etc. Because it's not page counts or paper that make us happy, it's the stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed that you've had time to to read at all, much less almost 80 books! You're one busy lady! It's weird how your reading can be slumpy even though you're reading the same amount or more. I feel like my reading year's been kind of like that. I've been reading as much as usual, but have had fewer books that I've felt fully absorbed in, and I'm pretty sure it's not the books' fault.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in awe of all you manage to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you did great considering all you have going on! I will hit my goal of 70, but my big accomplishment is the 11 chunksters I read when my original goal was 4. Other than that it was a hit and miss year I think. I'm not joining any challenges next year and taking on very few commitments for 2015. It's going to be a READ FOR ME year! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As you know... I am obsessed with comics also. They are just a fun quick break from reading a novel. I love superhero type stories too. Just a great escape. You had a busy year that's for sure. Here's to 2015 being a great year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik