Sunday, December 21, 2014

Only 22 Years Between Makeup Updates

When I was 12, my mom told me that when I turned 13 I could start wearing makeup. I'd been bugging her about it for a while, as I'm sure you can imagine if you've ever been or known a young girl! The whole deal was that my mom would let me start wearing makeup if I had a professional makeup consultation, agreed to take good care of my skin, and agreed not to look like a clown. Done! Deal! No problem!

A few days after my 13th birthday, I went to a Clinique consultation, got set up with a skincare regimen, and some basic neutral colors to make my blue eyes pop and my skin glow. I was happy with it.


^^^ Up there is a pic of me at 21 and the second at 34. 

Twenty-two years later I decided it was time to update my makeup routine! Ok, that might be slightly overstated. Through the years, I ditched some of the higher-end products, found some cleansers and exfoliants that were much cheaper and still worked for me. For the most part I maintained a fairly neutral makeup look.

Just recently I got really fed up with my skin texture. My skin is MUCH dryer than it was when I was a younger person. Back then I was fairly combination with the occasional oiliness or breakout. Now, my skin is bone dry and tends toward flakiness (even in the summer). I figured it was time to search out some new products and routines to go along with my needs as a middle-aged adult.

In truth, I started with recommendations from YouTube beauty videos. This can be a slippery slope as a lot of channels will recommend incredibly expensive products, while others will throw in a mixture of high end and drugstore and even some comparisons to see what works best. Personally, I like to watch a YouTuber's makeup tutorials to see if their makeup style and philosophy is anything like mine (minimal most of the time with some funk thrown in when it feels right).

I've definitely found some favorite beauty YouTubers and some great new products that work much better for me now. And I've actually become quite a bit more playful with my makeup using colors I might not have tried before.

Bottom line: IT'S FUN! And shouldn't every morning start with some fun? I think so.

Watch for more beauty posts coming soon including:

  • Beauty YouTube channels for grown-ass women
  • Best long-wearing products (because I HATE having to touch up)
  • Best hydrating products (for my fellow sassies with dry skin)
  • Favorite products for sensitive skin and eyes
  • High end products worth the high end price
  • Favorite drugstore/discount beauty products 

20 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am looking forward to those posts! After years and years of using just drugstore brands following my poor student days' habits, I've recently discovered that in some cases it really is worth spending the money on a good-quality product (welcome to my life, Clinique concealer!). So I'm curious about your tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bettina! It's so hard to find the high-end products it's worth spending money on! I definitely gravitate to makeup blogs and YouTube channels that use both because I feel like there's a better chance of straight talk about brands.

      Delete
  2. I haven't worn makeup since I was about 17, but I've been thinking about trying it again. I want a neutral look, so I'll probably have to have a consultation. I'm looking forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear it during the week, but it's a rare beast that I wear makeup on the weekend. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't mind NOT wearing it. Even to work if I'm running late or whatever. But it is fun. I hope you'll find something useful in the makeup posts!

      Delete
  3. You have not aged at all! I'm looking forward to your beauty channel recommendations, I've dabbled with them a bit but can't really find any channels I like enough to watch regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's funny to look back at this pic of me at 21 because I feel like my teeth were GLOWING. Like they might light up under a black light. I do miss that. :) I hope you'll like some of the ones I have to recommend!

      Delete
  4. Man, your mom did it right. When I was finally allowed to wear makeup, I went straight to Claire's or Icing (whatever it was called in 2003) and bought a blue eye shadow pallet, a sparkly white creme pencil, and blue mascara, which I used mainly to streak my hair. I WISH I had been taught to make better makeup decisions!

    I'm really looking forward to more makeup posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a makeup Nazi! In the best way, of course. lol Looking forward to delving into more makeup talk! I still have LOTS to learn, and I hope y'all can share some of your faves and tips, too!

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to "Beauty YouTube channels for grown-ass women"! Keep the title when you publish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm making my list and checking it twice! Definitely keeping the title.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I was thinking the same thing!

      Delete
  6. In 35 years of life I've never had what I could call a regimen of any sort! I randomly threw on make up some years, but haven't worn any for years now. I'm too lazy. But, I do keep an eye out for good tips for those times that I do use make up at big events. And if I may say so, you are looking as good at 34 as you did at 21!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Jennine! I hope you find some good tips in the upcoming makeup stuff! I might as well put this obsession to good use!

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on the dry skin. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Dry skin is such a nuisance!

      Delete
  8. I'm looking forward to these posts Andi! I was never shown how to apply make up properly, or encouraged to go for a consultation. I think I'm actually afraid to get it wrong. I wear a touch of bronzer, mascara and a clear gloss daily. If I go anywhere dressed up, I'll add primer and foundation, occasionally eye shadow and some colored gloss. Even then I feel like I didn't do the foundation right and that I look terrible, despite being told otherwise.

    Anyway, I will definitely be following along with your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I am so hyped about this. What I would also like to see is products for wrinkles. I am 35 and starting to see some and have been using some products to prevent them from getting bad. Do you use any??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I love your current make-up and haircut! I'd love to learn more about how to do makeup well, so I'm excited to see your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Beauty posts! My skin is much dryer now, too. I've had baby skin until age 34 and BAM! overnight I turned into an old person! Complete wtfery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am awful at makeup. I keep it incredibly minimal and never feel like I know what I'm doing. I can't wait for these posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik