Thursday, January 29, 2015

Alex + Ada


Alex + Ada is a sci-fi drama set in the near future. The last thing in the world Alex wanted was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But after Ada is dropped into his life, he discovers she is more than just a robot. (from Goodreads)

And why is Ada more than just a robot? Because Alex goes to great lengths to unlock her free will. Something that is against the law and puts them both at great risk. 

I downloaded the first issue of this comics series on a lark, just to try it out, and I found myself gobbling them down so fast I could hardly stop. I could've gone ahead and bought the first collected volume (issues 1-5), but I had already read 1-3 in single format. I had to have MORE MORE MORE, and rather than wait for volume 2 (March 2015), I downloaded all the singles...issues 1-12 because I couldn't stop reading. 

What makes this such an engaging story? Probably the moral struggle as well as the longing for companionship. Alex is a fairly low key, everyday kind of guy. A worker bee and regular Joe in a Jetsons kind of future. He's lonely after a failed relationship, and he can't quite stomach the idea of a robot completely dependent upon his permission to do anything. He'd much rather Ada be able to think on her own. To be a companion rather than a servant even though the world he lives in is full of androids and it's considered dangerous and reckless for them to be sentient.

As the political and social tension surrounding Alex and Ada rises, so does the tension within the issues. I am HOOKED. 


Least favorite part? The artwork. Now, before you turn tail and run, the artwork in Alex + Ada is very plain. There are no frills, and the environment seems very sterile. It's fitting since Alex has led such a low-key colorless existence. Until Ada arrives to shake things up. You can see a bit of what I'm talking about in the panels up above. 

While the artwork style isn't my favorite, it's effective storytelling, and that's a much bigger concern for me than whether or not it's pretty. It's successful. 

If you want to be sucked into a story, you need to start on Alex + Ada. It's still going, so there's more to enjoy! 

Pub. Date: July 2014 (vol. 1), March 2015 (volume 2)
Publisher: Image Comics
Format: E-books
ISBN: 9781632150066 (vol. 1), 9781632151957 (vol. 2)
Source: Bought 'em! 

22 comments:

  1. I definitely want to get this! I sadly only heard about it after I bought a few comic books with Christmas gift cards, so will have to wait until I allow myself to buy more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I wish I'd gotten to you sooner. lol

      Delete
  2. I need another series like a hole in the head. Good thing I like holes in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, girl. I hear ya.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, I can't stop giggling at Heather's comment. :P

    Anyway, your other post already made me add this to my wish list, but I believe you just made that wish a little more urgent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, she says what I think most of the time. ;)

      And yay! I'm glad to enable.

      Delete
  4. I've just starting dipping my toes... well maybe one toe... into the world of comics/graphic novels... having only read - and enjoying! - "Saga - vol 1." I might have to add this series to the list of what to try next, so thanks for the recommendation!
    https://bookishtendencieskatie.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love Saga! I think it's a great place to start if you're not quite sure about comics. I think this one could be a real crowd pleaser, too! :)

      Delete
  5. I got the first volume of this in the Humble Bundle, so I'll try it soon, but it wasn't one I was particularly excited about until reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I forgot it was in that Humble Bundle. I think you'll really like this one, Sarah!

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to read this! It looks so good! I may have to actually buy it, just cause it looks really fantastic and I don't want to wait for my library to get it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do itttt! Dang libraries. No waiting!

      Delete
  7. I hadn't heard of these before... I am going to for sure go and get them from the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love them as much as I do, Angela!

      Delete
  8. Do the panels reflect Alex's sterile existence getting shaken up by Ada? Or is it still plain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The style doesn't change dramatically. It's not like "oh, Ada's here! Now the art is prettier!" I think there's just more color that seeps in...partially because they're outdoors more and in new settings whereas before Ada it was very confined.

      Delete
  9. I need to get to vol 2!!! This weekend ... really

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a really cute story which the moral questions could give a bit more depth. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I echo DoingDewey above - she pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly. I'll try and find this one at the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik