Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Beauty Channels for Grown-Ass Women!

My makeup education hasn't been extensive by any stretch of the imagination. While I mentioned in my previous makeup post that I had a Clinique consultation when I was 13, that didn't include any instruction on how to apply makeup in various ways, or anything remotely close to what's "fashionable" in makeup. I recently got interested in such things, and YouTube beauty videos really are a great way to learn, but there are some things to remember:
  • Some of these women use WAY more products than I'd ever be interested in using myself.
  • Some of them look like Barbies or drag queens.
  • If you're not interested in looking like a Barbie or a drag queen, you can still take away application techniques.
  • Some YouTubers are way more interested in high end products than I'll ever be, so it's nice to take the high end advice with a grain of salt.
It can be a little defeating to watch YouTube videos filled with 17 year olds with perfect skin, and they make up a significant portion of the YouTube beauty community, so that's why I'm here with some recommendations for you. I consider these YouTubers level-headed, insightful, and talented. I also consider them all to have an heir of maturity that some YouTubers just don't have. They project themselves in ways that are relatable to me.

EmilyNoel83 is hands-down my favorite beauty vlogger. She was a broadcast journalist and anchor before she started YouTube full time. You can find her main channel HERE, and she also has an "express" channel where she does short reviews and tutorials HERE. I also love that she uses and reviews a good portion of drugstore makeup with some high end thrown in. I really feel like I can trust her opinions on whether or not a high end product is preferable to a drug store version.



KristinGehm is another beauty vlogger I really enjoy. She is a friend of EmilyNoel's, and she has some really insightful videos. Her tastes do tend more toward high end products, but I like her reviews, and I like her "Save or Splurge" videos like the one below. She also has a really nice series where she does four different looks with one eye palette. It's nice to see how one product can be used in four ways.



Kristinn321 is another mature YouTuber who has beautiful makeup and does a lot of wonderful product reviews. I chose to share her skincare routine below because she has simply gorgeous skin. I think her channel is classy and great for all ages.



Tati from GlamLifeGuru is fabulous! A makeup artist living in California, she has great product reviews with plenty of drugstore and high end thrown into the mix. She also does stunning tutorials and has a fun, cheeky personality.



Julie Dawn Olsen is also fab. I love her sweet accent, and she does some beautiful makeup looks with a lot of really accessible drugstore products. Of the videos I've watched, I especially love her tutorials using one of my favorite products, the Maybelline Color Tattoo cream shadows.



That's it for now! My feed is full of great beauty YouTubers, but I think this is enough to get you started if you're interested in finding the most level-headed and accessible of the lot!


16 comments:

  1. I've seen some of Tati's video's. She is indeed awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so funny! The more I watch, the more her quirky personality creeps in.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for posting these! I've subscribed to each one! I've been meaning to hunt some beauty vloggers down but get overwhelmed at the amount of teenage "Barbies". =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I hope you like them, Kristina!

      Delete
  3. Cool. I'm bookmarking this post so I can find it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope it comes in handy!

      Delete
  4. Love these! I also follow one that I have been following for years now: https://www.youtube.com/user/MissChievous she not only does make-up but life style tips too. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subscribed to her channel! It looks great!

      Delete
  5. I definitely don't have the patience to dig through YouTube, so this is so great. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! I do what I can to help (enable?).

      Delete
  6. This is awesome! Thank you for this. My mom got me an ipsy subscription for Christmas, so I can definitely see this being useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Andi! Thank you so much for this! I NEED these. Seriously I can't thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girl, this is going to be dangerous for me! I love make-up and just recently discovered make-up youtube videos! Not good though because my Sephora wishlist is growing! haha... Thank you for the links to these ladies. I had seen Tati's channel but not the others and I can certainly appreciate the fact that they are older. Lots of beautiful young women do make up vids but I want looks for the office too and not just going out :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik