Thursday, January 29, 2015

Estella Sparkles: What the Heck is BB Cream? CC?

I accidentally prematurely published this, so now I might as well really publish it! Disclaimer: No sponsoring here! 

I had no idea what BB cream was until two or three months ago. I saw it in stores, it mocked me from shelves, but the purpose of this beauty elixir eluded me. But now, after enough Googling and video watching, I'm in the loop!

BB stands for "beauty balm" or "blemish balm," while CC stands for "color control" or "color correcting." On the whole, these are tinted moisturizers that also usually contain SPF for sun protection, and they make a variety of other claims including dark spot reduction, overall skin improvement, etc.

Like foundations, BB and CC creams come in innumerable varieties from "luminous" to extra hydrating, mattifying and more.  It seems like every makeup brand on the market, from high end to drugstore, has at least one BB or CC cream. Sometimes more!

Since it's hard to wade through and find the right choice, I suggest Googling "BB creams for oily skin" or whatever your particular skin type/issue is. Plenty of women's magazines and cosmetic websites have compiled lists of suggestions.

In fact, here is a list for oily skin, and here's sort an an all-purpose list for various issues.


For myself, I decided to try Pond's BB+ Luminous Finish in the shade "light." BB and CC creams seem to come in far fewer color choices than foundations. Because they're often comparable to tinted moisturizers, they don't cover as opaquely as regular foundations, so it's easier to cover a larger continuum of skin colors in fewer shades. It makes choosing much easier!

Unfortunately, my Pond's BB+ has been discontinued, but I can tell you that I enjoy the product, and I'll be looking for a replacement for myself when I run out of this one.

Pros:

  • Light coverage is perfect for those no-makeup makeup days
  • Adds enough coverage to even skin tone and "color correct"
  • It's easy to apply with fingers without streaks
  • Protects skin from the sun
  • Doesn't feel the slightest bit heavy


Cons:
  • Smells kinda weird
  • I could probably find a better formula for my dry skin as this one can turn patchy after a few hours
If you're new to makeup or just don't like anything too heavy on your face, I definitely recommend trying a BB or CC cream AFTER some initial research to find the right formula for your skin concerns. Since my skin is super dry and often looks dull, I'm thinking of trying L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator for a glowy finish. 


I'll let you know how it goes!










30 comments:

  1. I didn't know what they were, specifically, until this post, but I've been using them for about a year! I like the CC better than the BB I have, because it has a higher SPF (something that's always better when you're pale me). But this makes me think maybe I shouldn't have abandoned the BB entirely, so maybe now I'll use both of them, depending on the day.

    I like that (both of them) they're light, and the wider color range per actual color is a plus for me, too, because I sometimes have trouble finding a pale enough foundation (see above, me = pale town).

    I've basically ditched other foundation for a BB and a CC in my makeup kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! I'm thinking I may look around in the CC realm because I definitely need a higher SPF.

      Delete
  2. I love love LOVED the Tarte Colored Clay CC Primer. BUT... no SPF. So in the summer, this was a total no-go, unless I used my foundation (which does have SPF) over it, but the whole reason I loved it was because I didn't need a foundation, which of course is great for summer... which is the time I most need SPF.

    And yes, I know I should wear SPF year-round, and I mostly do, but summer is when I'm specifically looking for an "as few products as possible" routine which this was PERFECT for... but who cares if I can get great coverage with a single product if I'm going to get a sunburn in 45 minutes of being outside?

    *sigh* I'm still bitter. I may just have to suck it up and use a second product for sun protection, because I haven't found anything with SPF that I love as much for a one-step option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a secondary something with SPF in it, too. I wish my foundation had SPF in it, but apparently there was an update to the formula somewhere along the way and it was left out. Total bummer. :(

      Delete
  3. THANK YOU. I've been meaning to ask you what BB cream was for ages. I definitely want to try one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I think this is something you'd really like! It's quick and light.

      Delete
  4. I swapped out foundation for BB about a year ago and haven't looked back...it's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I need to know what brand you use! ;) I know Leah and April have talked about theirs, but I can't remember your BB of choice.

      Delete
    2. I use Dr. Jart + Black Label, but it's stupid expensive and I need a cheaper replacement.

      Delete
  5. Wait BB and CC creams are two different things? MY WHOLE LIFE IS A LIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Becca! Well they're called different things, but that's about the only difference I've seen.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for making a post about this! I've been wondering what these creams were for. For some reason I was under the impression that they were some sort of anti-aging product. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of them make anti-aging claims, which I don't think are very well supported. They're definitely more for light coverage and sun protection in reality.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like something I should be kicking myself for not owning yet. Adding to the Target list (I assume Target has this somewhere in its vast and incomprehensible makeup aisles... right?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yep! Every brand should have theirs right around where they keep their foundations. Easy to find because there are so freaking many of them!

      Delete
  8. I must have been living in a cave because I hadn't even heard of them until you sent me that video link yesterday. Then, I was all "What the f*&k is BB cream?" Now, I am going out this weekend to find some because I think it would be perfect for weekends and non-work days when I don't want to wear make-up but hate how awful I look without anything on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! I wear mine on weekends most often or if I'm in a hurry to get to work or I'm not wearing much makeup because it's an allergy day.

      Delete
  9. ... How did you know that I was *just* wondering what the heck BB and CC cream stood for, and what the difference was?

    Thanks for this! I'm really not huge on face makeup (foundation, blush, etc.) but think something all-in-one like this might be for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, mind reader, right here! :) This kind of all-in-one is soooo convenient!

      Delete
  10. I thought I was pretty up-to-date with BB creams, but never knew about CC!! Maybe it's like the smashbox tinted primer I have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the difference is really, unless the CC covers more (that whole color correcting thing). I need to find two brands and do a BB:CC comparison. lol

      Delete
  11. I tried the Garner Fructis BB but it only came in 3 shades and even the lightest was too dark for me- and I'm not that pale. So, in this case I went with spender- Dr. Jart. I only use it when I go out so it's kind of worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear GREAT things about Dr. Jart!

      Delete
  12. I tried a BB cream from The Body Shop but it was a strong moisturizing one and it just feels too thick, much more like a foundation. I haven't bothered to try another one yet. I use a moisturizer with SPF and I kind of like letting my freckles shine. I also use some bronzer daily though so maybe an illuminator would be a good choice. Hmm ... now I need to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of moisturizer, if you don't mind me asking? I need more SPF.

      Delete
    2. Again from The Body Shop, I use their Aloe Soothing Moisture Lotion. It's really lightweight and good at the same time. And SPF ... yay!

      Delete
  13. I had never heard of BB or CC cream (and never would have thought to try it) until last spring, when the ladies at Sephora selected the Diorskin BB cream for me when I got color matched. I love it so much! Especially in winter, when my skin is dry and flaky; it's light enough that it doesn't emphasize the dryness while still evening my skin tone and minimizing blemishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I feel like I talk about this all the time, but I just seriously LOVE it.)

      Delete
    2. I SOOOO want to try it now! I love that you love this one so much.

      Delete
  14. Love this post! Thanks for the link for oily skin. I'm going to give BB cream a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik