Monday, January 26, 2015

It's Monday and the Books Are Calling!

This past week's reading was a bit slower than the previous one. You might remember I finished a honkin' three books last weekend, but this week I only managed to finish one and some comics. Great reading, though, so I can't complain!


The novel I finished was Family, by J. California Cooper. I've heard little of this author over the years. What's more, she lived a good portion of her life right here in Texas, not terribly far from where I live. I'm so glad I picked this novel of a slave family's life leading up to, and following, the Civil War. Can't wait to review it! 


I went on a bit of a comics jag reading issues seven to 11 of Alex + Ada. If you haven't heard of this series, you must try it! It's about a guy who receives an android from his rich grandmother, and he decides to "unlock" her artificial intelligence so she's sentient. It's been a long time since I've read a series this engaging. 

Ares and Aphrodite: Love Wars is new to me. I happened to see it in passing on Comixology, and I really enjoyed the first issue. Enough to download issues two and three. Will Ares is a divorce attorney working for a shady actor, and Gigi Averelle is planning the wedding of the shady actor and his next (young) conquest. I can't wait to dive into the next issues and see where this one goes. 

Finally, I continue to love every installment of Batgirl, and issue 38 is no exception. Barbara Gordon chooses to play a little fast and loose with her identity allowing pictures with fans and utilizing social media, but her followers begin to throw some shade her way, which she's certainly not used to.

I have lots more comics on the docket including Lucy Knisley's new travelogue, An Age of License, which arrived on Friday, and I buckled and downloaded all three of the Southern Reach novels.


And of course I'm still reading and loving All the Light We Cannot See. I'll most likely dig into it first this week to try to make a big dent. Twist my arm! 

What are you reading? 




20 comments:

  1. I made the mistake of turning off airplane mode on my kindle and lost a library copy of All the Light We Cannot See. Back to the hold list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seeing All the Light We Cannot See everywhere lately. Perhaps this is the universe's way of letting me know I need to move that up to my queue?

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you liking the Southern Reach series, Andi? I keep seeing it but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Southern Reach series. I read the first one and didn't get as hooked as I'd expected to, but it could well have been a timing thing (I had just started packing for the move).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are reading Annihilation for the Sword and Laser book club, and I am super exited to finally get to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read Lucy Knisley. Her covers make want to open immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, it still seems I was one of the only people on earth that couldn't get into All the Light We Cannot See (I never made it past the sample) :) Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alex + Ada sounds fun! Definitely onto the wish list for that one. And I've really wanted to dip my toe into the superhero waters, and Batgirl sounds like such fun, but I worry that my complete and utter ignorance will leave me lost if I try. What do you think--would Batgirl be a good place to start? If not, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the Light We Cannot See was one of my favourite reads of last year so yes, do try and press on further into it, I would argue that it is very worth it and very good! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All The Light We Cannot See is definitely on my to purchase list! Hope you have a good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I doooo want to read Alex and Ada! I wanted to ask my library to order it, but they have put a block on patron purchase requests while they finalize the fiscal year budget or something. :( :( It is making me so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, Batgirl and Alex + Ada sound fantastic@

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally wasn't going to read All The Light We Cannot See, mainly because I'm afraid I won't love it as much as everyone else seems to, but since my go to genre is historical fiction I think it would be a shame for me to pass this one by.

    Is the Batgirl comic series suitable for young girls (8-10?) My daughter, who has never liked reading, has discovered graphic novels and loves them. There aren't many options for her age range though so I'm hoping I can find some comic series for her to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the Light We Cannot See keeps popping up everywhere I go - I need to read that one for sure. Have a great week reading!

    Brooke at http://www.brookeblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the comics recommendations -- they all sound great! I read the first episode of Alex + Ada, but didn't get much further than that. Clearly I should keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still haven't posted my Top Picks for 2014, but All the Light We Cannot See is my #1 favorite for the year. I sure hope it grabs you by the nose hairs, Andi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alex & Ada sounds like something I need to read. I've always got my ears perked up when you talk about graphic novels or comics :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I probably think it is a good idea I avoid Comixology...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik