Sunday, January 18, 2015

No-Makeup Makeup: Looking More Rested Than I Actually Am!

Dislcaimer: Ain't no sponsoring going on here. I just like makeup and buy it all with my own money. Even though my family probably wishes I'd stop.  

No-makeup makeup! It's a thing. For me, personally, no-makeup makeup happens quite often on allergy days. Yours truly is allergic to dogs but still has four of them. A couple of weeks ago, while David was out of town, I left my bedroom door open during the day because it was cold and our weenies would get plenty of heat in their kennel, and Daisy was free to sleep on the bed. 

Daisy loves pillows, and she's trying to sabotage my eyes.
Daisy dander + my eyes = a sticky, red, itchy, crusty mess. How's that for a mental picture? Bottom line, mascara is a terrible idea when my eyes are all puffy and irritated, so that factor plus one slow toddler who doesn't like to get ready in the morning led to some no-makeup makeup days. 


On no-makeup makeup days, my number one goal is looking alive and awake without wearing much eye makeup...specifically mascara or eyeliner. I have fairly blonde eyelashes, so I can look a little zombified without mascara and eyeliner. Here's what I do on no-makeup makeup days:

1. Apply all-over foundation. I use Revlon Colorstay 24-Hour for normal/dry skin. If it's the weekend and I don't care much about face coverage but want a little color and some extra moisture, I use Pond's BB+ (like a tinted moisturizer) with SPF. 

2. Dark circle concealer! I use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles in light. I apply it under my eyes and dab it in with my finger. Because allergies make for lots of dark puffiness. My eye bags look like change purses. 

3.. I use a sheer eye color. I love Maybelline's Color Tattoo in "Barely Branded." It's a light gold color that sheers out to a subtle sparkle on my eyelid. I just apply it with my finger. It doesn't move during the day, and it's just brightening enough to help me look more awake. 

4. Apply blush! This is the key to looking awake and not dead. I'm obsessed with Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-Hour blush in Dollface. It's the pink I'm wearing in this photo, and it really lasts throughout the day. I might've went a little blush overboard, but if that's all the color on my face, I'm cool with it. 

5. Lip color is optional! I didn't have any on in this photo, but I put on a little Tarte Lipsurgence gloss later in the day. It's a bit darker and more "berry" than my natural lip color. 

And that's it! Thank you, no-makeup makeup for helping me look more rested and awake than I really am. In five minutes or less no less! 



25 comments:

  1. I don't know much about make up (though I would like to), but I also usually go with concealer, foundation and blush also on these kinds of days. I might have to check out a sheer eye colour like you mention...thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I usually just use liner for eye makeup -- I never see any difference with or without mascara so I usually skip it. I'm slightly clueless about eye color stuff, so I skip that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tends to be similar to my daily makeup, then I'll throw on eyeliner and mascara if we're planning on going out later in the evening. I'm a fan of red lip, though, so that gets added in, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove red lip. I told Andi during Bout of Books that I just recently discovered my inner lipstick nerd, and there's no turning back now. :)

      Delete
  4. Dark circle concealer - I can't live without it!
    Your routine is similar to mine most days, as mascara irritates me as I like to rub my eyes.
    You look very fresh faced in your picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? The only issue I have with dark circle concealer is that I get really dry under my eyes and it settles into my lines. Drives me batty!

      Delete
  5. This is a great post. I tend to do the same thing daily if I'm leaving the house. I often go without anything if I'm home all day. I use a powder foundation, but I'd love to find a BB or CC cream I could use without foundation for a lighter look. I'm going to visit a store and try on some Tarte blushes. I'm lost without eye pencil and mascara because being blonde is having no visible lashes!! You have such gorgeous skin,looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love my Pond's BB+, and I'm bummed out that it's being discontinued. I'll be on the hunt for a new one, too! The Tarte blushes are just awesome. It seems like, from what I've watched and read, that Dollface and Exposed are the most common everyday colors that people gravitate toward. I really like Dollface because it's pink enough to make me look really fresh, but it's not super dark. It takes a little building up, which I like.

      Delete
  6. Wow, I absolutely never would have known you felt as crummy as you said from that picture—you look great!

    And now you've got me drooling over all things Tarte. Drat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks! That just means it's working. Today is another no-makeup makeup day. My eyes are so red from allergies. Ugh! I just love Tarte. I can't get enough! I posted a pic of all the lip products from my purse over on Instagram today, and a bunch of them are Tarte.

      Delete
  7. Looking lovely girl, even if you were dealing with allergies :)

    I'm like you, when I have a bad allergy day, there is no eye make up getting near me. I just discovered Tarte last year. I can't believe it took me so long but I'm in love with everything I've tried from them. I think the only thing I have not enjoyed much is some of their lipstick pencils because they have a minty taste to them and I don't like that too much but overall that line is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm new to Tarte, too, and they can do no wrong! Their Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara is the only one that doesn't irritate my eyes. I bought a big set of their lip products over Christmas, and I don't mind the mintiness of them. The glosses are a vanilla scent, and they get to me a little. Luckily, the scent dissipates pretty quickly.

      Delete
  8. I have allergy issues too so I'm all about the no makeup makeup! I love that Maybelline concealer! I have the light right now but I had Bright (or something like that) and I think I liked that even better. Thanks for the tip about the blush. I tend to forget that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it compared to most things, but it still settles into my lines. I have such dry under eyes, I haven't figured out how to keep any of them from settling and looking a little heavy. I definitely want to try the brightening one. I need all the brightness I can get! lol

      Delete
  9. I can hardly ever wear mascara and definitely not eyeliner because my eyes are so sensitive. I do like playing with lipstick and blush, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a really hard time with mascara lately. I've never really used one brand consistently...just kind of whatever I have on hand. Several months ago I realized my mascara was irritating my eyes, and I tried several brands (some high end, some low), and the Tarte Lights Camera Lashes is the only brand (so far) that doesn't irritate my eyes. I love Tarte because their products are more natural than most. I love me some lipstick and blush. They're my addictions!

      Delete
  10. And you look lovely! I have never been one for a lot of makeup. I don't think I have ever worn foundation but a little soft eyeliner and blush works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love playing with makeup, but only recently have I tried to master it. lol

      Delete
  11. You look beautiful! I love the no-makeup makeup look. I'm in love with my Dior BB cream; it's ridiculously expensive, but it makes my skin look perfect without looking like I'm wearing makeup. It even does a shockingly good job of covering my acne, despite being such a light formula. Add a nude eyeshadow with a tiny bit of shimmer, a trace of brown eyeliner, blush, and lipstick in a deeper shade of my natural lip color, and I'm good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking for a great BB cream, so I may have to go snag a sample of the Dior to try out. I think April mentioned really liking it, too.

      Delete
  12. I have issues with my eyes, too but never go without mascara because I really do look dead without it. And didn't know how to solve that. Thanks for all of the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Lisa! Makeup is so fun! I'm having a terrible allergy eye day, so I'm wearing this look yet again. hehe

      Delete
  13. My normal make-up is like your no make up day but I have to have a berry lip color or people ask me all day if I am feeling okay. I don't wear blush, I do the pinch thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, I try to wear a shade slightly darker than my own lip color. Today's it's a matte pinkish by Tarte with some gloss over it.

      Delete
  14. Andi, you're a genius. And you look fabulous. Like Ti, your no-makeup day is like my everyday look ;) Some great tips though, for generally not looking half-asleep all day, a real problem for me, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik