Monday, February 02, 2015

Bookish Roulette!

I don't know what to read! I've been reading All the Light We Cannot See, and when I pick it up I love the language, and I'm interested in the characters, but I don't always want to pick it up. This weekend, for instance, I didn't pick it up once. I think I might need something shorter or slightly less descriptive. I just know it's slowing me down and that's the first step to slumptitude.

So let's play a little game. I'm calling this Bookish Roulette since it involves the book cover carousel on my Nook HD+ tablet. The recently opened apps and recently purchased books are all sitting up there gawking at me. If my carousel were to pick a book for me, let's see what they might be...


From the fiction camp, we have three fascinating-looking books...

The Book of Strange New Things, by Michel Faber. I've written enough about this one. You probably already know what it's about, but here's a short blurb: 

Annihilation, by Jeff Vandermeer, is really calling to me for three reasons: it's short, it sounds fascinating, and it's shortlisted for the Tournament of Books. 

We, The Drowned, by Carsten Jensen, isn't really my usual fiction, but I've been lusting after the cover for ages, and I snapped it up when it was on sale. 


Non-fiction always sounds like a good idea when I'm not quite sure what to read. 

Unruly Places: Lost Spaces, Secret Cities, and Other Inscrutable Geographies, by Alastair Bonnet. The title really sells it, right? 

The Butterfly Mosque, by G. Willow Wilson. I posted about this one recently. A California girl converts to Islam. I want to know more! 

Have you read any of these? Lusting after any of them with me? 



22 comments:

  1. I might have to use a random number generator to pick my next eBook read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can find a library copy, I'd totally buddy-read Annihilation. A blogger friend I found during BoB 12 LOVES the Southern Reach trilogy, and I want to see what all the fuss is about!

    All of these sound like awesome choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up "Annihilation" on audio from the library, and as soon as I'm done listening to "Brown Girl Dreaming" (which is great so far), I'm going to give it a go! Still trying to make my way through ToB list as well! Sometimes you just have to read more than one (or four) books at a time, and it's okay! https://bookishtendencieskatie.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of your options, but I couldn't get into All the Light We Cannot See either :) Bookish roulette sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That just happened to me with The Secret Place. I was really enjoying it but never felt like picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, if I wasn't lusting after any of these already, I want them ALL now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finished Unruly places a little while ago. I loved the little bite sized chapters of things you've never really thought about before! I'm totally intrigued by We the Drowned now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you have a great selection so I don't think it matters where you start! I LOVED 'The Book of Strange New Things' and am very envious of your copy of 'We the Drowned' as I've heard great things about it. I hope you've found a good read by now and are enjoying it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of them but Unruly Places intrigues me - is it nonfiction?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picked up Annihilation in December because I was a few books short on my Goodreads goal, it was short, and there was a LOT of hype. I read through it pretty quickly until the last 1/3 or so - I am not sure if I missed something in the narrative but at the end I just didn't "get" it. It felt like I had jumped from the middle to the end with no explanation but hopefully you will think it's much better! Please review if you read it.. I feel like I'm missing something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in favor of all of them. I can see why you'd play roulette; it's hard to pick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unruly Places is one I've been wanting to read for a while. I love nonfiction about quirky, offbeat topics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just kind of have been reading whatever and seeing where things go... That's my reading year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of these, but I've heard tons of good things about Annihilation. Good luck choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The title AND the cover AND the author's name are selling Unruly Places to me. It's the perfect storm of temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You definitely have some awesome covers there. Lately cover design has been a real influence in what I read as my brain can't process much else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't say that Book of Strange New Things felt short or less descriptive as I was reading it ;), but Unruly Places sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hah, I'm reading All the lights we cannot see, too. And it is exactly the same with the reading for me. I reallly like the book, but I don't feel to pick it up. Funny. I think I need to sit down for some hours and just read. Maybe next weekend. Happy reading for your next book! Unruly places sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. omg, Annihilation is SO GOOD. The second book has two jump-out-of-your-skin moments, but was a smidgen too long for me. Just got the final volume -- cannot wait to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You had a really eclectic month! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Playing roulette with your carousel just sounds like an awesome way to pick a book :) I may just have to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik