Saturday, February 07, 2015

Estella Sparkles Review: Meet Matt(e) Nude

One of the most fun products in makeup is the infamous eyeshadow palette! If you've ever taken a stroll through Ulta or Sephora, it's almost impossible to pass up the rows of beautiful palettes. Since I've gotten more into makeup, I've started a wishlist of palettes, really. I'm trying not to go overboard, but I've found there are a few palettes that are great staples...especially the one I'm reviewing today: Meet Matt(e) Nude by theBalm cosmetics. 


I really don't concern myself with reviewing the newest in makeup. This palette is definitely not a new release. I'm way more interested in sharing products and tips with those of you who a) love makeup b) are interested in learning more about makeup c) might find some recommendations useful from a fellow down-to-earth makeup user.

With that out of the way, I am so glad I picked up this palette from theBalm. If you're new to makeup you may not know...

  • Matte shadows have a tendency to last longer on the eyes than shimmery ones
  • They draw less attention to fine lines
  • They are the basis of almost all eye looks...from simple to complex
I wanted to review this palette first because I reach for it almost every day. That's proof that it's a great buy. I find that with an eyeshadow primer on my oily lids these shadows easily last all day, and there are enough colors represented in the palette that I can do a lot of looks. And they're huge. I won't run out of product any time soon.


A few of these shades may look scary to the casual observer, so let's talk about 'em. 
  • Matt Malloy is the white shadow in the upper right-hand corner. I use this from my lash line all the way up to my lid since it doesn't SCREAM white on my fair skin, and it helps other shadows blend over it. 
  • Matt Singh is the terra cotta color right underneath Matt Malloy. I love this color in my crease since it's so flattering with other shades in the palette. It's not quite as orange on the face as it looks in the pan since it's diffused by blending with a fluffy crease brush.
  • Matt Lombardi is the yellow shade smack dab in the middle of the bottom row. Again, this one doesn't come off as offensively loud on the face. I love this color on my lid with a darker shade in the crease. It just adds a nice lightness to a look without being overtly golden.
I use those three shades a LOT. I find they go wonderfully with any number of darker colors in the crease or on the outer third of the eye to create a light/dark contrast. Of the darker colors, I'm especially fond of Matt Abdul (lower left) which is a taupe/purpleish shade. I also find myself using Matt Rosen (middle left), a warm brown, a lot, too.

So those are my thoughts on Meet Matt(e) Nude! It's really such a great basic palette to meet a lot of needs. It's a little pricey if you're not into high end makeup, but you can find theBalm 50% off on Hautelook.com (a flash sale site) occasionally. If anyone is interested in looking out for it, let me know, and I'll try to Tweet you the next time they come up for sale!

Below is one of my fave beauty YouTubers, LeighannSays, doing a tutorial with this palette so you can see the products in action. 




11 comments:

  1. I really like the "dude" theme of this palette - super creative! I'd love to see some of your looks, too, if you ever find yourself near a camera.

    I have super sensitive eyes (super sensitive everything, really) and am prone to infections, so I've never explored eye makeup. It seems like it would add just a little more time to my morning routine than I'd like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaina, I believe I have some hanging out on my phone, so I'll see what I can do! My eyes are fairly sensitive as well...especially to mascara. But luckily, I've found a few products that seem to work with my eyes. Such a pain!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I would use a lot of the colors in this pallet, but I love the packaging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their packaging is THE CUTEST! theBalm and Benefit, both.

      Delete
  3. I might have to check this one out. I have a matte palette from Mac that's running low and I tend to use a bunch of purple shades since I have green eyes - it looks like there are quite a few in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has a few shades that lean a bit purple. Sometimes I look at them and think, "Are you gray or purple? Navy maybe?" They sell these in-store at Kohl's if you want to get your hands on it to check it out in person. :D

      Delete
  4. I'm not too good at makeup so I look forward to reading more of your reviews! I use Bare Minerals palettes, which are great, but I haven't tried much of anything else. I hate when eyeshadow goes on much darker or much lighter than you expect it to. The "Meet Matt" theme is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bare Minerals palettes I've seen look lovely! They always have such good color choices packaged together. I tend to use a VERY light hand with my shadow until I know how it's going to apply. The rule of 'adding more is easy but taking away is hell". lol

      Delete
  5. I have one of TheBalm palettes but I find that the colors are harder to blend than say TooFaced or Tarte. Have you tried any of the TooFaced palettes? Love those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! I haven't had any trouble blending these shadows yet. Maybe the darker ones. Or maybe I just notice it more with the darker ones. I haven't tried any of the Too Faced palettes yet, but I've already put out the word that I want the Chocolate Bar for the next big holiday! lol

      Delete
  6. AYE... now I am following this person on youtube!!! LOL! Love it love it love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik