Sunday, February 01, 2015

Sunday Salon: January 2015 Reading Wrap Up!

January! You most definitely did not suck!


Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel was my first finished book of the year, and I can't think of any other book I'd rather have to kick off a new year of reading. So good! So atmospheric!

An Untamed State, by Roxane Gay, ripped my heart right on out, but it was so worthwhile. 

The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly, by Sun-Mi Hwang, was a really fast read packed with meaning. It's unusual to find a short book this affecting. 


Birds of a Lesser Paradise, by Megan Mayhew Bergman, was the first short story collection I've finished in a while, and it was absolutely engrossing. Full of damaged people and the animals that help move them in a new direction. Review on the way!

Batgirl #38 by Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr keeps the good times rolling...for the reader. Barbara Gordon is catching some flack for some decisions she's made as Batgirl. Juicy!

Ares and Aphrodite: Love Wars #1-3, by Jamie S. Rich and Megan Levens, is a brand new comic com Oni Press. Will Ares is a divorce attorney and Gigi Averelle is the wedding planner for one of his biggest clients. Lots of love craziness and super cute illustrations. 


Alex + Ada #7-#12 by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughan is amazing. I've already bragged on these enough. 

Family, by J. California Cooper, was an amazing novel. I'm completely new to J. California Cooper's work, but I will definitely read more. Looking forward to reviewing this one! 

Wonder Woman: Blood, by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chang, was definitely my least favorite book of the month. While I enjoyed diving into a Wonder Woman comic, I did find the storytelling sort of hard to follow at times. It was a combo of jumpy-feeling artwork and the actual text. I may try the second volume, but I'm a little undecided at this point. 

How did your reading go in January? Would love to hear any recommendations you have to give! 

Check out the Facebook group! 






24 comments:

  1. That is definitely a great reading month! So many good books and different genres too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reading month! I also read "Station Eleven" in January, and REALLY liked it - review up on my blog on Monday. I also JUST finished "An Untamed State" last night, and wow - I need some time to recover... intense. I added a few of the others to my to be read list on Goodreads. Really glad I found your blog - been enjoying! Check out my January wrap-up @ https://bookishtendencieskatie.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/january-2015-wrap-up-2/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good things here! You've already heard how excited I am to get to Hen. I wasn't planning on trying Station Eleven, but you may have persuaded me. :)

    I read eight books this month, the most memorable of which was Growin' Up White by Dwight Ritter (my first review Copt, woo!). Now I just, you know, have to review it. ;)

    Hope Feb rocks just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your January did not suck! I feel like I've been seeing people talk about how 2015 has been kind of slumpy so far...and it sure has been for me! But, it probably helps that you read 2 amazing 2014 books - loved both Station Eleven and Untamed State.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great month!! I'm not sure you can brag on Alex + Ada enough, but I won't argue with you. I'll just pick up the torch.

    I must investigate this J. California Cooper, based on that name alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm way back on the hold list for Station List for the ebook at The Free Library of Philadelphia. Maybe eventually I'll get to it....I'm not going to lie. I have no interest in The Hen book, because I haven't fared too well with those kind of allegorical books. Hated The Alchemist and another, The Book of The Dun Cow, but I'm glad that you enjoyed The Hen book <-- sorry, I'm too lazy to scroll back for full title. :) We each have our own tastes and that's cool...yeah, I guess ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great start to 2015 in terms of books! I'm looking forward to reading Station Eleven, which I bought this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mix of books there, and fab to start the year so positively. My January was a bit more mixed but I did read and love Saga volume 4 and All the Birds, Singing by Evie Wyld.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great month! Station Eleven is on my TBR because I've heard such fantastic things about it. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great January you had, woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a good month for books. I have a copy of Station Eleven that I won, and can't wait to start it!
    Happy February reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great reading month you had! I read and loved Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings in January. Have you read Lynda Barry's Syllabus? I love Lynda Barry, and her latest did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for a great reading month! That Ares & Aphrodite book looks really cute. I haven't read any of these but I'm taking note of some of the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bryan, I'm with you I hated the Alchemist too. But Im kind of intrigued by The Hen who Dreamed etc. Also looking forward to Station Eleven. But I am so slow compared to others. Like you Andi. Oh well. That's not going to change. I just sit back and admire the feats of others!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ares and Aphrodite sounds TOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only read 4 books in January, but they were all wonderful. If I had to recommend just one, I'd say go for The Girl on the Train. It was unputdownable!! Loved it from cover-to-cover!

    I'm really hoping to get Station Eleven in my stacks in the coming months. I haven't heard a single negative word about it. Oh, and I still need to get my hands on The Martian!!

    Happy February to ya, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Birds of Lesser Paradise did not totally captivate me, but I had it in audio. Still need to read Station Eleven. here is my recap, I read some awesome ones: http://wordsandpeace.com/2015/02/01/2015-january-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad that January did not suck! Station Eleven was awesome, wasn't it?
    I get chills thinking about that airport scene.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Station Eleven! I long to read this book, but still sticking to my TBRs I own reading, which isn't too bad. I'm getting around to some great books. Started Landline, by Rainbow Rowell

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad January went well! I loved Station Eleven so even if the rest of the month didn't go well that would have made it worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Always good to kick off the new year with a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just finished Station Eleven too and thought it was really solid. I may be on the "done" side of dystopian lit, for now, but it was still a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik