Sunday, February 15, 2015

TSS: I Resign Myself!

This past week has been a bad week for novels. I just haven't been feeling it. I started Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn, for the #GeekLoveRAL but I didn't get too far. This weekend I just went with the flow and resigned myself to comics. Here are the singles I've been catching up on and the one graphic memoir I sucked down.


I'll be reviewing Lucy Knisley's previous graphic travelogue, An Age of License, later in the week. I have to admit that it wasn't my favorite, but then I picked up her most recent travelogue, Displacement, and I was completely won over. This one is about a cruise she takes with her grandparents because their health and mental states are in decline, and they need someone to help them on the trip. Lucy volunteers, and the experience is both enlightening for her and nearly heartbreaking. This one struck home so acutely for me having watched my own grandparents' decline and helping take care of them in their later years. A beautiful, beautiful book about the happiness, love, frustration, guilt and other emotions wrapped up in facing our own mortality and the mortality of those we love. 

 

Of the single issues I have to read, I finished up my available Ares & Aphrodite (3-6) by Jamie S. Rich and Megan Levens. I just love this series. It's so damn cute, and it's a digital first, so it's inexpensive (via Comixology.com) and it's been releasing every week. I'm not sure how much longer this run will last, but I can't get enough. 

Bitch Planet #2 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine DeLandro is a little on the "out there" side for me. DeConnick is a legend in comics circles, and this series is about a future Earth where female criminals are relegated (rightly or wrongly) to a brutal outpost affectionately referred to by the men in charge as "Bitch Planet." The women here aren't pulling any punches. They are fighting for their lives against the system and sometimes among themselves. I was really unsure if I wanted to continue this series after the first installment, but after reading the second, I'm definitely more invested. 

Alex + Ada #12 by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn. I continue to swoon over this series. Every issue just gets better. Read my review


Gotham Academy #4 by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher is so fun! The students of Gotham Academy are on the hunt for a ghost! There's no telling what they'll find in the fire-eaten North Hall or even behind the walls of their dorm rooms.  

Wild's End #6 by Dan Abnett and I.N.J. Culbard continues to be absolute perfection. If it's possible to meld quaint British anthropomorphic animals and The War of the Worlds, it's been done here. This is the last issue in the run, and I hope it picks up again quick!!!

Edward Scissorhands #1 by Kate Leth, Drew Rausch, and Gabriel Rodriguez is a must-read for anyone who liked the film. This is not an adaptation, but it is a continuation of sorts. This is what happens two decades after the end of the film when one young lady goes looking for the secrets her grandmother shared with her. The artwork is impeccable and really pays homage to the look and feel of Tim Burton's film creation. 

What are you reading this weekend? Novels or comics or both? 

Join the Facebook group





17 comments:

  1. I read one comic this week: an Avengers and Spiderman comic, the name of which I can't remember right now. It was okay. I wish I had more money for graphic novels or that our library could afford them (so expensive and I know there's Comixology but even those aren't free and they add up). Until they come down in price or are available at the library or libraries I frequent, I won't be reading comics or graphic novels any time soon.

    That said, I'm glad you're enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend not to read many graphic novels (although that is likely to change over the next few months...) but I did read Lucy Knisley's French Milk a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Displacement sounds like a good next choice for me to read in this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comics are out of my reading realm though as a kid I used to go to my friend Caroline's house where she had stacks of them -- Archie for example. She was slow to learn to read so her parents indulged her in comics. She would get like 10 of them at a time. I was so jealous! Maybe I should return to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a comics week, too, which also included Lucy Knisley and Alex+Ada. :) I'll have to check out Displacement because like you, I wasn't over the moon about Age of License.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just opened a Comixology account two days ago. I see a massive decrease in available money in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn it, my library doesn't have Displacement yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hardly read any graphic novels last year so I'd like to read more this year. Making note of some of these - would like to try the Edward Scissorhands one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm torn about Displacement. I absolutely adored Relish but didn't like French Milk so I don't want to mess up the warm fuzzy glow from Relish if this is more French Milk-y. Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting into novels. I hate when that happens and the bad thing is I know if I force it I'm just asking for a reading slump. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finished up Rat Queens and that's about it. I have several series I want to start (East of West, The Fade Out, Wild's End...). Not sure where to go next!! I need more Ms. Marvel too. So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying so hard to save graphic novels for readathon day, lol. It's not easy and you're not making it easier, woman! ;) I'd LOVE to check out Edward Scissorhands and the Knisley for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had a non-bookish week. Maybe a graphic novel will shake things up for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading some fiction and some nonfiction. I've got The Rosie Project on my nightstand, The Various Haunts of Men on my Nano and Tiny Beautiful Things to read on my breaks at work. Loving the latter, although I'm trying not to read it all in one fell swoop. Cheryl Strayed sure can write!

    ReplyDelete
  13. !!! I was just about to hit "enter" on my comment and it disappeared! :(

    Basically I just said I'm not really a GN person - I disliked the great majority of what I've tried - but I adore Knisley, didn't really like Age of License, and was super happy that Displacement returned to the old Relish and French Milk level of wonderfulness. Only the comment was a lot more eloquent. Stupid Blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read an assortment last week. I read a bunch of shorter stuff after the great Lunar Chronicles read. I am hoping to invest in another series next, but have to decide what.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always better to just go with the flow. I have so many titles vying for my attention right now, it's distracting me. Just finished Landline though, finally!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Edward Scissorhands!!!! I loved that movie (I used to be a bit of a Johnny Depp fan, pre-Jack Sparrow) and I must get my hands on this. Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a growing fan of comics but hadn't heard of half of these. You really sold me on Bitch Planet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik