Tuesday, March 03, 2015

February Reading Wrap Up!

February wasn't a good month for novels in number, but the quality of the two novels I read, alongside the ton of comics and graphic novels, made this a fantastic reading month.


Annihilation,  by Jeff VanderMeer, is the first novel in the Southern Reach trilogy. This short novel is a lot of fun in a scary, Lost sort of way. 

The Testament of Mary, by Colm Toibin, is a non-traditional look at the mother of God. In this particular take, she's an aging, somewhat bitter woman reflecting on her son's life. 


I just love Lucy Knisley. I know I say that every time I post about her work, but it's just so true! While I favored Displacement over An Age of License, Knisley's work is always a delight for me. 


Single issue comics were in no short supply this month. As always, Lumberjanes continues to be a big, adventurous, beautiful winner. I zipped through all six issues of Ares and Aphrodite, and I gobbled up the most recent issue of my favorite series, Alex + Ada


I really wasn't a fan of Bitch Planet when it first came out, but now that it's delving into some of the characters' backstories, it's becoming much more interesting to me. I hate to keep comparing books to TV shows, but this one smacks of Orange is the New Black, but far more brutal. I'll be doing a dedicated review of this one soon!


Batgirl #39 continued the drama! Batgirl has become a target for the media and a whole lotta haters. 

Wild's End is a stunning series that doesn't get enough love. I read issues 4-6 this month. 



I thought there was a good chance I wouldn't like Edward Scissorhands in comics format, but I looooove it. Another dedicated review coming soon!

What was your favorite book you read this month? 










24 comments:

  1. JoAnn @ Lakeside Musing3/03/2015 4:51 PM

    Just bought An Age of License - can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay Disqus! Hope it was easy to install?


    I didn't love Annihilation, but glad it worked for you! Definitely adding some of these comics to my (ever-growing) list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good! I hope you love it! If not, get Displacement. You'll love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booo! That really surprises me. You'd think it would appeal to a lot of folks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andi, here for the test ;) Seems to be working fine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Americanah staring at me for so long, and I really need a jolt in my 2015 reading... maybe that one will be next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hey, Disqus party! No more logging in for this gal. I keep going back and forth over giving Annihilation a shot, but I think I at least need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to read Bitch Planet for no other reason than the title. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julianne over at Outlandish Lit compared Annihilation to LOST as well! I'm excited to see where the story continues to go in Authority - I'm already about 30% in.


    Glad you got a slew of comics in, if not very many novels!


    This month was a really, really good reading month - it's tough to pick! I can't stop thinking about how great A Wizard of Earthsea was, though, so I'll go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bitch Planet looks amazeballs! :-)
    Happy March reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anny Iliashuk3/04/2015 4:13 AM

    February was Alex+Ada month for me. Nothing could beat it.:) Can't wait for #13 this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. February was so good I couldn't pick just one favourite: Jump (1) and Crash (2) by Seam Williams; An Untamed State by Roxanne Gay; Holidays by William McInnes; Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel; Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell; The History of the Beanbag and Other Stories by Susan Midalia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lindsey Stefan3/04/2015 8:34 AM

    After finishing Relish, I'm excited to read the other Knisley books and I think I am going to give Lumberjanes a try as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terri Talks Books3/04/2015 9:29 AM

    Good reminder to get my wrap up post finished. I read SO much in February I'm kind of shocked! I've moved my monthly wrap ups to my blog too. My life just isn't accommodating the making of videos. Anyway, my favorite reads for February were two J. California Cooper novels: Family and Life Is Wide But Short. SOOO good!


    Annihilation looks like a fun read. Maybe I'll have to read that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Videos are totally escaping me lately. Really, the only time I have to do them is before work, which is fine, but when it comes to toting books to work to hold up in a video...not gonna happen. Some people might not feel compelled to do that, but I do! I'm so glad you liked Family! It was stunning, and I can't wait to read more of Cooper's work. Annihilation is super fun. I enjoyed it more than I expected, truthfully.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Testament of Mary sounds like something I'd dig. Lumberjanes! Ack, another series that I NEED to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right??? That pretty much puts the plot into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kerry, it was so easy to install, I was SHOCKED! It was nearly instantaneous. Love it! I hope you find some comics you like!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just became familiar with Lucy Knisley with French Milk and then read An Age of License. I liked them both but then got severe wanderlust after. Annihilation just came in at the library but I never watched Lost (I know, I know!) so I'm going in blind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This week has just kicked my butt and Friday/Monday I don't even care, I'm just done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Americanah is peeping at me, too! It’s definitely moved up my list the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Comics are an expensive habit I've managed to mostly steer clear of so far, but you make it very hard :)


    My favourite read of February was a paranormal romance called GRACED by Amanda Pillar. Fun and clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik