Thursday, March 12, 2015

Panels Read Harder Comics Challenge - Check In!

Many of you have probably already heard, and some of you may still need to hear, about the Panels 2015 Read Harder Comics challenge. Chris Arnone, my fellow Panelteer, and I got together to draft up 26 reading "challenges" to help you broaden your comics horizons. Let's see how I'm doing so far, shall we? Lines in bold are completed! I'm getting there, slowly but surely! Maybe you guys can make recommendations for categories I haven't complete? The links also lead to recommendations in each category.

Read a comic book from the Golden Age (30s to early 50s). - No idea where I'm going here.

Read a comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender. - A ginormous amount of comics I've read this year have been female/male teams. Let's go with Capture Creatures, by Becky Dreistadt and Frank Gibson.

Read a comic book originally published in Europe. - In the works!

Read a piece of comics journalism. - I own some, but now I have to read them. 

Read a self-contained graphic novel. - Displacement, by Lucy Knisley

Read a comic book from an independent publisher. - Edward Scissorhands by IDW

Read a comic book by an all-female creative team. - Lumberjanes, always Lumberjanes.

Read a comic book about a culture other than your own.

Read a comic book about a religion other than your own.

Read a comic book marketed for children or all-ages. - Arcane Secrets

Read a comic book that features an LGBTQ character. - In the works!

Read a comic book that won an Eisner Award.

Read a webcomic. - Rutabaga: Adventure Chef

Read a comic book starring anthropomorphic animals (for Paul). - Wild's End

Read a volume of manga.

Read a comic book written and drawn by the same person. - Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Read a collection of comic strips. - No idea! 

Read a comic about a non-traditional superhero. - Ms. Marvel

Read a comic book featuring non-traditional art.

Read a new-to-you comic from the library.

Read a science fiction comic book. - Alex + Ada

Read a fantasy comic book.

Read a comic set in a country other than your own.

Read a comic with a villain for the protagonist.


  1. I may have to join this one. After joining Comixology, my comics reading list has increased dramatically.

    1. Me too! I just love Comixology. WAYYY too easy to get comics and subscribe to series.

  2. I've actually read a variety that would fit this list! I'm going to put up a post and see how I've done.

    Comic with villain as protagonist - have you read Nimona? Its currently a webcomic but will be out in print form soon. Its delightful!

    Manga - I would recommend Children of the sea by Daisuke Igarashi. Weird and wonderful. Or if you're up to some non-fiction manga, Shigeru Mizuki's Showa series is fantastic!

    1. Awesome! Can't wait to see how you're doing! I haven't read Nimona yet, but it's HIGH on my list. I actually didn't realize it's a webcomic. I won't be wasting any time. Thanks for the Manga rec! I'm always clueless where to start there.

  3. Awesome! What a wonderful challenge! I am going to get so many recommendations out of thisssssss.

    1. Yep, it's deadly. But super enjoyable!

  4. Technically Lumberjanes works for the LGBTQ category. :) I should try to do this. I have been avoiding challenges. I wonder how many I have all ready...

    1. That is true, but I'm trying not to double-dip with the same comic in different categories. I think I'm gonna read Rat Queens volume 2 for that one.

  5. This looks like a fun challenge! For the book about comic books, I'd have to say Scott McLoud's Understanding Comics.

    1. I loooooved that one! I may try Jill Lepore's The Secret History of Wonder Woman for this challenge. We'll see.

  6. Sounds like such a fun challenge. DO NOT listen to Secret History of Wonder Woman. The author's narration ruined the book for me.

  7. I recommend Persepolis by Marjane Sartrapi for comic about another culture/another country, pretty much anything by Joe Sacco for comic journalism (and a few of them are controversial too), Modesty Blaise for comic strips, Books of Magic for fantasy, Y: the Last Man for Eisner winner, maybe Alan Moore for the controversy one? Arguably Watchmen counts as villain for protagonist too.

    Wow, I answered more than I thought I would!

  8. ps--glad you reposted all of this here (to draw my attention to it) so that I can pin it. Ha! No image over at Hey Panels for me to pin. ;)


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik