Saturday, April 25, 2015

April 2015 Readathon ROCKS!

Hour 12

Mid-Event Survey:

1. What are you reading right now?
10 pages of This is How You Lose Her, and then I'm diving into the most recent issue of Capture Creatures.

2. How many books have you read so far?
Ummm, most of one.

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
I think I want to start Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan.

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Always. One thing at a time when you're Readathonning!

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
The fact that we're not trending as much this time! But there are some strong news stories vying for hashtag attention, I admit. With that in mind, my thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the Nepal earthquake. :(

Hour 10

How the hell is it Hour 10 already? I would say I'm kidding, but I'm really not. The last six hours I've done more co-hosty stuff, helped put out some fires and answer questions. And I also took a nap. I think it might've been my first-ever Readathon NAP! First! Really.

I am happy to report that I also read about 100 pages of This is How You Lose Her. I'm going to finish it off and then pick up some comics.

But for! I've been snacking on and off, but I'm ready for something real. Real good. Hubs made the chicken cordon bleu casserole and roasted asparagus, and I'm off to stick my face in it. I'll be back with pics!

Hour 4

And I'm all like, "How the hell is it Hour 4 already?" Story of my readathon life right there. Coffee has been had, and I've managed to do these things:

  • Commiserate with Heather (a lot, via text and Facebook message)
  • Fix ALL THE LINKS to the Dewey store in the 24 hours worth of posts
  • Emailed the cohosts twice
  • Cheered for my YouTube team - #TEAMDOROTHY
  • Did some Instagram posting and commenting
  • Tried to save one challenge that didn't need saving (false alarm)
  • Lots of love on Twitter to others, and you're sending a lot our way!
  • Answered questions via email and social places
  • Checked in over at Goodreads to see what's shaking in the group
  • Watched my husband do house chores (he's the best!)
Now I'm off to grab a bite and a book. Hell yes. 

Hour 0 - Pre-Readthon! 

Happy Readathon, friends!!!! It was a too-late night last night and it's been a too-busy few weeks, so I'm ready to unfurl with a book today! But first things first...the opening meme! 

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

Dallas, Texas! Sort of. Actually, northeast of Dallas in a quiet, rural area, perfect for Readathonning. 

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

Probably This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz. I started it on a trip to Austin recently, and it's SO DAMN GOOD. 

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

Spicy Nacho Doritos! I would turn into one if I could. As for real food, we're making that Cordon Bleu casserole I mentioned in my previous post along with some roasted veggies, and I salivate just thinking of it. 

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

I'm a Scorpio with a penchant for YouTube beauty videos and I believe, 100%, in the power of short, sassy haircuts. I write here, for Panels, Book Riot, and KETR radio. I don't care for daikon radish. 

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

Heather and I have been organizing the Readathon for the last three years or so, and it's always changing. We made a concerted (if slightly last minute) effort to make sure we can get away from our computers on Readathon day and actually have some sanity time with books. That's a pretty big step for us! 

Check back here for more updates throughout the event! 


  1. Mmmm...Spicy Nacho Doritos. Good luck! I hope you can get some reading in between running the Readathon!

  2. You guys are great at organizing the event, and we are all happy to count on you! Enjoy your reading day!

  3. I really hope you and Heather get to step away for part of the day. It kind of sucks to organize this whole thing and then never actually get to read! My week wasn't nearly as annoying as yours, but I still really need the day to cuddle up with a few good books.

  4. Can't wait to get started. Thanks for organizing this great event for us as always!


  5. Hoping you get some quiet reading time in between all the cheering and administrating. Thanks for all you do!

  6. And I'm here close to Austin and cheering for you, Andi! So glad you will take a bit of time to read yourself. Have a wonderful day! Truly. I'm on Team Mr. Popper. :-)

  7. I hope you get more time to read this year! While we appreciate you hosting, you need to enjoy it too ;) Have a great day! #rahrahreadathon

  8. Thank you so much for organizing this, Andi!

  9. It's rainy here so it's the perfect day to stay home and read but I have to work. :(

    1. I hit enter too early! lol I meant to add I hope you get lots of reading done!

  10. You guys do a fabulous job! Enjoy your reading today!

  11. You guys do a fabulous job! Enjoy your reading today!

  12. Yay! I'm glad you and Heather are going to read a bit today! Happy reading!

  13. Heck yeah for you and Heather actually getting to read a bit today! You two deserve a medal for coordinating this thing! Happy readathon day!

  14. I hope you get some reading in! You're so wonderful for organizing :) Happy readathon and thanks for all that you do!

  15. I don't care what you say, you might actually be Superwoman. Happy reading!

  16. Irene from Team Mr. Popper here. I hope you're enjoying the readathon so far. Please remember that it's all about having fun, so if you feel more like snacking than reading, then go ahead. This event is the perfect excuse for snacking!
    I'm sure you'll reach your goal. You can do this!

  17. I went through my spreadsheet backward (rebel) so I could cheer for you last (of round 1 at least!) You are amazing and having a kick-patoot Readathon. I'm proud to call you friend, you gorgeous, brilliant, dedicated book vixen. All the love #TeamPopper can offer, darling. XOXOXO

  18. You're doing fabulous! :) I actually couldn't figure out who's picture had Ethan Frome in it, and after I saw it, I knew I had to read it this afternoon, which I did. And it was you! So thanks for the nudge in that direction. :) Hope your dinner is delicious!

  19. Andi! that image...I know is not real but the steam coming out of those plates made me want to have soup ASAP (it's so cold here this week, why did I move to Canada??) Hope you are having a great time!

  20. Oh, this is where I start wishing my husband could cook. Andi, like I told Heather, you are a rockstar. All the things you're doing today mean so much to so many people and I want to tell you thanks. Also, Readathon naps are wonderful. Life-giving. The stuff that dreams are...I'll stop or I'll take another. Happy reading! And cheering, hosting, and apparently volunteer firefighting. Thanks so much for all that you do to make this day happen! Dewey would be proud!

  21. You FIRST readathon nap??? Oh man, I don't think I've ever made it through the readathon without a nap. I'm hoping today is the day!

  22. It's hour 15. It's time to shake it all up, and maybe change the reading material for something lighter, faster, easier, funnier. You've earned it. Go for a graphic novel, a comedy, a poem, a book of verse, anything, but make a change, just for a few pages or chapters. Oh... and now is the time for one of those super snacks you've been saving! ;-) #TeamMrPopper

  23. I also read the most recent Capture Creatures today :) Enjoy and happy readathoning!!

  24. Thanks for all of your hard work on today's event! It has been great so far. Many thanks to your hubby! Fewer chores means more time with us ;-)

    I have been seeing Capture Creatures all over the place during the readathon. Definitely adding it to my TBR.

    We are in the home stretch. Don't forget move around a bit. Happy reading! #TeamMrPopper

  25. I was surprised the Readathon wasn't trending, too, until I saw what was trending and why. :( On a happier note, it was an awesome Readathon this year! Thank you guys so much for organizing everything and making it one of the things I look forward to most every season.

  26. Thank you so much for doing so much for readathon! I loved it so much and will definitely participate again. Looking forward to being a cheerleader in the future!!


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik