Monday, May 25, 2015

Monday Reading, The Polar Opposites Edition

I finished up a couple of books in the last few days, and much to my delight and surprise, I was able to jump straight into two more that seem to have stuck. I'm usually more fickle than that, but hey, I'll take it. These books probably couldn't be more different, but variety keeps the reading mojo going!


Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan is a hoot. Following a group of super rich Asian families through a summer centered on one of the most lavish weddings you can imagine, there are issues of family dynamic, marriage pressures, exorbitant wealth, and it's damn funny and quirky. I'm getting a distinctly Where'd You Go, Bernadette feel from this book, which I didn't expect. It's fun, but it's also smart and satirical. 


I couldn't resist Maggie Nelson's much-written-about book, The Argonauts. I'm not far into it, so Goodreads' summary will probably do it more justice: 
The Argonauts is a genre-bending memoir, a work of "autotheory" offering fresh, fierce, and timely thinking about desire, identity, and the limitations and possibilities of love and language. At its center is a romance: the story of the author's relationship with the artist Harry Dodge. This story, which includes Nelson's account of falling in love with Dodge, who is fluidly gendered, as well as her journey to and through a pregnancy, offers a firsthand account of the complexities and joys of (queer) family-making. 
I was reading this late last night/early this morning, and in the beginning there was a distinct sense of WTF? and "those words don't even go together." But with a little persistence past a particularly stream-of-consciousness section, I'm onboard for whatever Nelson has in store.







14 comments:

  1. Haha yup, these are very different. Maybe they cancel each other out and it's like you're not reading any books. Just kidding. I've been curious/apprehensive about Crazy Rich Asians, but it's good to hear that you think it's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering about Crazy Rich Asians - if it's giving you a Where'd You Go Bernadette? vibe then it's definitely one I'm going to have to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have heard a lot of things about the Argonauts. Curious what you will think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just glad you're reading. Sometimes I think reading completely different books helps. I hope it keeps up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kwan's book is terrific! I gobbled it up when it first came out and couldn't wait for the next one. Luckily I was able to get an ARC and loved it just as much as the first. Definitely a fun read. I didn't get the Bernadette vibe you got. I thought it was more of a written version of the reality show, #RichKidsofBeverlyHills (which I love!). Anyhow, I'm glad that you are enjoying it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy Rich Asians was a lot of fun! I haven't started The Argonauts -- I'm not sure I have quite the reading brain for it just yet -- but I am excited to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin Kwan's latest book comes out later this summer? fall? I can't remember exactly, though I do know that I have an ARC for it already. I can't wait. A good light read without being brainless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're right - variety keeps things interesting. I haven't had much time to read lately but hope too one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Crazy Rich Asians awhile back and was a bit disappointed by it. I think it just went on too long. BUT, I think it would make a fantastic reality show!!! Bravo...do you hear me?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Argonauts definitely has its own style. Took me some getting used to, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for reading mojo hitting a good stride! That's awesome. These are 2 books I've had my eye on. Good to know you're enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost checked out Crazy Rich Asians but didn't know if it would be the type of kooky/ridiculous I enjoy or the type that exasperates me. Glad to hear it's good! One of my best friends loved The Argonauts, which helped bump it up on the TBR. May you continue to get your skirt blown up by books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooo stream of consciousness, really? I was all excited to read The Argonauts but I cannot abide with stream of consciousness writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just heard of The Argonauts yesterday and have been curious about it. But your description doesn't quite make me want to read it yet. I'll probably wait for your review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik