Friday, June 12, 2015

Estella Sparkles: Drugstore Winners

I loooooove drugstore makeup! I mean, really, why pay oodles when you can get good stuff without selling off a kidney?

A while back, when I was still an Ipsy subscriber, I took advantage of a special Milani deal. I paid $20 for all the products to our right. I love several things out of the bunch, but my super duper faves are the Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadows. The shades here are (left to right) Bella Espresso, Bella Gold, and Bella Sand. Milani has a whole spiel about the gel-to-powder formula of these shadows, and I don't know about all that, but I do know that they're beautifully vivid color, they have good staying power, and they're fairly inexpensive.

I use Bella Sand the most out of the set. It's great all over the eye from lid to eyebrow on those "no makeup makeup" days. It has a beautiful satin finish, and the color is close to my skin tone. I also totally dig Bella Gold. I haven't seen a gold this gold at the drugstore...maybe ever.

Another Milani product I can't live without is the Milani Eyeshadow Primer. This brand is quickly becoming a drugstore fave, and it all started with this product. While I have super dry skin, my eyelids are freakishly oily. I considered high dollar primers from Too Faced and Urban Decay, but I'm glad I started with this one. It's $6 for a tube, it lasts forever because it takes so little, and it makes my eyeshadow last all day. Like 12+ hours.

And you knew this next one was coming. Let's talk ColourPop. This is a brand that isn't available in stores, but you can order from their website for drugstore prices. All of their shadows and lippies are $5 each, and their blushes, highlights, and bronzers are $8.


While I love everything I've tried from this brand, it was just a couple of nights ago that I fell head over heels for their highlight! I like to add a little light and reflectiveness to the tops of my cheeks...especially in the summer. I've had Mary-Lou Manizer from TheBalm for a while now, but I find that powder highlights don't wear well on me because they look tooooo powdery by the end of the day. I used a large stipple brush with this ColourPop highlighter, and it just melted into my skin and looked so much less...obvious. Let's just say it: less fake! While the color I have is part of a set, you can browse a variety of them here

Incidentally, this is my makeup look today. Cheeks and lips are ColourPop. Sorry for the crap lighting!


Finally, let's talk a little about drugstore makeup brushes. Since I've gotten into makeup, the biggest revelation to me has been brushes. They make such a big difference, and if you think you can't apply makeup...you may not have the right brushes or you may need more practice using them! They make everything so much easier. 

Real Techniques is my favorite affordable brush brand, and I have to be honest that I haven't tried a ton. I really like these, and I don't feel much urge to wander. You can buy these babies at Walmart, Walgreens, and lots of other places. My personal faves are the complexion sponge, expert face brush, shading brush, and blush brush. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll be back with a brush post soon! 

What are some of your drugstore faves?


Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored! I just like makeup. And I like what I like what I like. 












13 comments:

  1. Somehow I've never tried a Milani product and I've had ipsy for a few years now! I'll definitely have to give the highlighter a try. I love your makeup in the picture and I adore that lipstick color. Unfortunately for me it's a color that I can't quite wear but I love it on other people. I've had decent luck with Sonia Kashuk brushes but I've hear raves about the Real Techniques as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to try Milani because I just didn't know anything about them, but they're soooo gooood. I was really self conscious about wearing a lip color that bright, but I settled into it. There's another one in the set that's more of a powdery pink. More comfort zone, but I'm really trying to challenge myself. I've never tried the Sonia Kashuk brushes because I don't have a Target nearby, but I really want to give them a go.

      Delete
  2. Looking very pretty! For years I did not try drugstore products thinking they just wouldn't compare to high end brands but after seeing so many rave reviews on Youtube about Milani, Rimmel, Nyx, etc. I've started going to the drugstore and I'm in shock at how well some of these products work. Especially blushes, I think those you can easily find great dupes for high end ones at the drugstore. I really like the Milani blushes and I hear there are some new ones out right now. Must look for them! Anyway, love hearing about your makeup discoveries! One of these days I will try Colour Pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I avoided drugstore for years, too. I was a Clinique girl through and through, but I also wasn't experiment...I was just sticking with one thing and not playing with makeup. For playing, the drugstore just can't be beat. So many choices and very little guilt if something doesn't work. hehe

      Delete
  3. What a deal, Andi! HAve you tried Almay ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but people keep telling me that I really should! Where should I start with Almay?

      Delete
  4. I have decided that this is the summer I am going to figure out makeup. (We'll see how that goes...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, lemme know if you have any questions! I loves it!

      Delete
  5. 12+ hours with the Milani primer?! That's amazing. Especially in hot climates like ours. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! It's crazy. My eyeshadow doesn't come off til I take cleanser and water to it.

      Delete
  6. I have been having so much fun playing with make-up. I agree that brushes are a life-changer. I even got one of those beauty sponges for foundation. I will never go back to using my fingers ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun? Kinda like painting...on ma face. I freaking love my sponge for foundation. I tried a brush, and while I liked it, it irritated by dry skin more than the sponge. No fingers! Neva!

      Delete
  7. I just finished Judy Greer's book, and she shares your affinity for drug store cosmetics. I think the two of you would have the best time set loose in a Walgreen's.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik