Saturday, June 06, 2015

Estella Sparkles: Spring Makeup Faves

It's been a while since I've done an Estella Sparkles post, but you can bet I'm still playing with makeup over here. I got the urge to do some spring shopping several weeks ago, and I've been playing with my makeup with the turn of seasons. Only now is it starting to feel summery in Texas. After the deluge of rain we had for weeks and weeks and weeks, it's now hot and balmy, and my skin is doing weird things, so adjustments were in order.


I never feel like using heavy foundation, but especially not in the summer months. I ran out of my usual Revlon Colorstay, and my mom wasn't using her Revlon Colorstay Whipped, so I'm giving it a go. It's a moussey texture and goes on with lighter coverage than the normal liquid foundation, which I like. It's also really hydrating. I like to apply dots of it all over my face and then tap and blend it in with a sponge, and it wears all day. 

Since I have more blood these days, I get more rest and feel better all around, so the bags under my eyes are less severe...except on allergy eye days which are on the rise. I've been using the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer (pictured) in the brightener shade (pinkish) under my eyes and down my nose. It brightens up the darkness and it adds a little extra coverage to my nose where I have a hard time getting foundation to stick. I also use a face sponge to blend this in. 

Some days I've been really into beautiful eye makeup, and other days I'm in a hurry and just want to add a little something to my crease and skip the eyeliner and mascara to give the allergies a break. I had given my Meet Matt(e) Nude eyeshadow palette a rest for a while, but now I'm right back to it. I still think this is one of the best palettes for beginners or anyone who just loves versatile matte shades. Read my review.  

I've also found that I love mixing warm and cool colors in my eye looks. 


This is my favorite eye makeup lately. I use the white shade in the Meet Matt(e) Nude palette all over my lid and up to the eyebrow. I'm so pale, it doesn't look crazy, and once I apply color all that's evident is the brow bone highlight. Then I go in with the terra cotta color from the palette in my crease. I add a cool toned (almost purple) gray on the outer edges of my lid and into the crease a bit, and then I tap a bit of Colourpop's La La (pictured above), a metallic copper, onto the lid. Finally, I put just a touch of an iridescent highlighting shade (The Balm's Mary-Lou Manizer) on the inner corner. It sounds harder than it really is, and it makes my blue eyes pop.

I remain an avid fan of Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara (pictured). It's pricey at $20 a tube, but it doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes, it gives great volume, and it doesn't smudge or flake on me until it's getting old and drying up...an easy-to-recognize sign to restock. 

Finally, I'm a complete blush ho. I've never been into bronzer so much, but when I grabbed the Too Faced Soulmates Blushing Bronzer duo (pictured) recently, I fell in love a little. I like to swirl the pink blush together with just a bit of bronzer for a nice glow. It works as eyeshadow, too! These were limited edition and are going out of stock, but I snagged mine at Nordstrom Rack for $11.97. Much better than the usual $34 price tag. 


And I almost forgot! I've decided that I'm just not a lipstick person. I am a lipgloss and balm person, though. I really love a light wash of color that I don't have to worry about perfecting and that I can apply quickly. I recently found Loreal Paris's Colour Riche Balm in the "rose elixir" shade. It feels really hydrating and balmy, but it's got a beautiful wash of rose color. I also like this line because I can wear shades that would normally make me self conscious if they were opaque (bold pinks, corals, and reds) because it's more of a gentle watercolor effect. Warning: These don't wear for a long time, but reapplying isn't hard, so I don't mind. 

So those are my makeup faves as of late. What are yours? 






14 comments:

  1. The Meet Matt(e) palette sounds great. I'm not a makeup person, but love reading about your finds! Right now I'm loving a palette called Chocolate Bar by Too Faced. Lots of mostly neutral colors and slight chocolatey smell, which is just enough to make me a little happier in the morning. And it seems to stay pretty well all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mee Matt(e) Nude is fabulous! Love it for its versatility. My husband gave me the Chocolate Bar palette for our wedding anniversary. I love the quality of the shadows (and it smells so good!), but I do wish the shades were a little more varied...they can get pretty medium brown (would like more light shades).

      Delete
  2. I usually just wear Burt's Bee's lip balm, but I'd like to try something with some color. Not a fan of regular lipstick, so this Loreal balm sounds right up my alley! The color sounds perfect for summer, too.

    Hope you guys get some drier weather. We've had almost 3" this week. Last month was a record with close to 12". The mosquitoes are lovin' it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The balms are really comfortable. I was lusting over some more of them tonight, but I'm trying to control myself until I can work through some more lip colors. lol Our weather has definitely dried up a lot. We're up in the 95 degree range, but I'm soooo glad our lakes are finally full!

      Delete
  3. Your eye makeup is so pretty!! During the summer months I mainly only use Urban Decay's Naked palette. I feel strange without wearing eye shadow, but I'm also outside most of the time and anything too bold melts easily. I also use A LOT of lip products with SPF in them so my poor little lips don't get too burned (thank god for tinted lip balm!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've long lusted after the Naked palette, but when I found out that the Coastal Scents Revealed palette has a LOT of duplicates of Naked 1 and 2 shades, I went that way. The quality is really good for fairly cheap. I need more lip products with SPF! My foundation and BB cream have SPF but no lip products...as far as I know. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  4. I love that eye makeup!

    After dealing with acne for a decade, I finally saw a dermatologist a few months ago, who set me up with medicated products that make my skin look better than ever. Now that my acne has cleared up and my skin tone is more even, I've found myself wearing far less makeup, forgoing eye liner and shadow! I kind of love the more natural approach -- and wearing less on my eyes means I can have more fun with lipstick! I love a naked eye with bold red lips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the state of your skin! Skincare is such a slavish thing when it's not going right. My skin is basically revolting against me right now. I suspect all our newfound sunshine is pulling out some of the toxins in mine. We'll see. That, or it doesn't like a product I'm using right now. I definitely love to wear a bolder lip when I'm going a little more natural on the rest of my face. I've been favoring the Revlon Balm Stains. Vivid color, and they're still really comfy to wear and the color lasts ages!

      Delete
  5. Love the eye make up look! It took me forever to realize that Nordstrom Rack has make up - I snagged one of the Too Faced sweethearts blushes too - yay! I haven't tried those L'Oreal balms so I may have to check them out. I love lipstick but sometimes a wash of color is just what I want so these sound like they would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! The sweethearts blushes are so great! And the L'Oreal balms are lovely. I also really like their balm stains. Bolder color but still really comfy and brighter color. They're good for when I want to switch it up.

      Delete
  6. Girl, we are make-up spirit animals. I LOVE my Meet Matt(e) Nude palette SO MUCH! Also, yes that concealer is magical, and I also religiously use that tarte mascara as the "final coat" when I'm looking for that little something extra. Although I use the "Splashes" waterproof version. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I need makeup spirit animals! Isn't it the greatest palette? I love the sparkle, but let's face it...you can only put so much sparkle on your face at one time. I didn't realize they make a waterproof version! I don't need it regularly, but sometimes, for sure.

      Delete
  7. Your EYES, lady. I'm so jealous of that blending! (Related: Is this what your male coworkers say, too? Sorry, had to.) Thanks for sharing your routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. The blending has taken me the longest to learn. To this point, either I don't blend enough and look like a raccoon or I blend too much and there's nothing left. HAPPY MEDIUM NEEDED. I think I may have found it. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik