Monday, June 22, 2015

Monday Reading: #FlashReadathon Recap

Ahhh, there's nothing quite like a readathon, a #flashreadathon, to get the ole reading mojo workin'. I'm sooooo glad we did this because I finished two books and some comics that were huge winners. 


The first book out of the box was The Shore by Sara Taylor. This is labeled a novel, but it's made up of short story-like chapters each dealing with a different character. Like many of my favorite novels/connected short story collections, this one is wonderfully written, and I eat up the challenge of keeping up with who shows up in one story and later pops up in another and how they're all connected. 

I went into the #flashreadathon only about 1/3 of the way into this one, but I read the majority of it on Friday night and finished it up on Saturday morning.

I intend to write a review of this one in the coming week, but if you've already read it, you might want to check out the Socratic Salon discussion.

On Saturday I started The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. This one has been on my e-reader for a good long time. I've read a few pages here and there, but until this weekend it never stuck. I had my doubts about the narrator's voice at the beginning, but I quickly fell into the story and really enjoyed it. Review coming soon!


My brain was fairly mushy in the latter hours of Saturday, so I turned to comics. Two of my favorites were waiting for me: 

Alex + Ada #15 by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn broke my heart a little because this is the final issue in the series. I won't say much because I don't want to spoil, but this one felt a leeeetle rushed in light of earlier issues. That said, I still enjoyed it, and it left me very sad to see the characters go. I'll miss them. 

Gotham Academy #7 by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher was so fun! It's always so fun, but this one was extra fun. One of my favorite quirky characters, Maps, does a little unintentional magic and gets stuck to Damian Wayne...yep, Bruce Wayne's son. Cuteness and adventure ensue. 

Sunday was a bit of a wash (pardon the pun) with lots of rain and flooding in our part of Texas. I spent some quality time with David for father's day before he skipped town for work. Then I had to figure out a dry, passable way to get to Greyson to bring him home. Ack! These are not our normal Texas Summer Problems. All is well, but I was not much into the reading mood as you can imagine. 

I think I'm going to read  Adé: A Love Story by Rebecca Walker next. I've said this several times, but somehow, I think it's going to stick this time!

What are you reading? Did you take part in the #flashreadathon? Did it help your reading mojo?

20 comments:

  1. You had a great read-a-thon. I just found out this morning that The Shore is set on the Eastern Shore so I'm really excited about reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I couldn't get enough. And yes! Isn't it great when we're familiar with a place? Changes everything.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Part-Time Indian. Read it the same year as Round House and loved the different styles and tactics...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I bet that was great. I've never read Erdrich, but I intend to change that.

      Delete
  3. SO GLAD you loved The Shore. It's just such a great book, I want to read it over and over again. Can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazingggg! I want more like this. If they were all like this, I would always feel fulfilled by my reading.

      Delete
  4. You had a great flash readathon! I pretty much gave in to #FerranteFever and finished book 2 of her Neopolitan novels, The Story of a New Name, Friday night and immediately downloaded the third... read 25% of it Saturday, but no reading at all yesterday.

    I'm planning to read The Shore sometime this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! If the mood strikes, go with it. I hope you love The Shore as much as I did!

      Delete
  5. So so impressed! Great reading, Andi ;) I take much inspiration from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really needed the reading. I was starting to have withdrawals.

      Delete
  6. Glad you enjoyed The Shore! That "A Novel" on the front cover really threw me off, but once I got a few chapters in and figured things out, it was awesome (except for the last chapter...at least for me)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved it. The end of that first chapter really grabbed me. The last chapter was surprising, but I enjoyed thinking it over.

      Delete
  7. Glad you had a great readathon! Definitely a great way to get your reading mojo back. If this weekend wasn't too busy for me, I may have taken part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish you could've joined us! It was just what I needed.

      Delete
  8. I only kinda, sorta participated this weekend but I did manage to read a book in one sitting (Kitchens of the Great Midwest, LOVE!) and I since I was a busy bee during the weekend I stretched the readathon into Monday and did it again with Etgar Keret's The Seven Good Years. It ended up being a great couple of days!

    I've had that very same Alexie on my ereader for a month of Sundays. It's silly that I haven't read it yet!

    Have a great week, chickadee :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go you! I just love it when that happens. And twice! How often is that the case? For me...almost never. lol Check out Alexie. It's quick and fun.

      Delete
  9. So glad you loved The Shore. Really, what's not to love? Looking forward to reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was just breathtaking. I know it's a book I'll re-read.

      Delete
  10. I was so bummed that I didn't have time to jump in on the readathon. This is how my summer's been going. Glad it worked out so well for you! That rain you're getting is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could've joined us, Lisa!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik