Monday, July 13, 2015

Monday Reading and a Readathon Wrap!

This was great. As I mentioned in my previous post, Saturday and Sunday were the #24in48 Readathon. I did a lot of listening on Saturday. I hunkered down first thing and started We Have Always Lived in the Castle,  by Shirley Jackson. I have to say, it might be even creepier--a little more unsettling--on audio than it was when I read it out of a traditional print book. Merricat's voice comes off slightly more unhinged, more childlike, as read by Bernadette Dunne. Highly recommended for a quick listen!

Next, I hopped into Son of a Witch, by Gregory Maguire (also narrated by the author). I loved Wicked so, so much. I've had the hardest time getting into this one, but audio seems to have done the trick. I fell into the rhythm and mystery of it right away, and as of now, I'm about halfway through.


While I was listening, I was also coloring. The first image is from Splendid Cities, by Rosie Goodwin and Alice Chadwick. The other one is from The Tattoo Coloring Book by Oliver Munden and Jo Waterhouse. Several of you have asked what I'm coloring with on Instagram, and the answer is regular ole Crayola colored pencils. :) 

Sunday was far lazier. I wasn't in the mood to read or color. I didn't want to do much more than watch TV, so that's exactly what I did. 


Right now I'm somewhere in the midst of season five of Gilmore Girls after a long break. 

Finally, I've had a few posts running elsewhere even though it's been fairly quiet on the blog. Just trying to enjoy the summer and get my head together. So far, so good. 
I hope your week is off to a great start!






24 comments:

  1. I've never seen any coloring books for adults. This is quite amazing! You do beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amaaaaazing! Like, slightly scary and super complicated, but also beautiful. And thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love the Gilmore Girls!!
    I tried coloring for adults but got really upset with the images even though loved it as a child. Glad to see you enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too. I marathonned the first four or five seasons, and then I took a months-long break, so I'm definitely ready to get back to them. Was it the complicatedness of the images? They are SO TINY!

      Delete
  3. I WANNA COLOR.

    Lazy Sundays are the best. Mine was super relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have coloring books? I can't remember. If not, you need some! They are so fun!

      Delete
  4. I saw your annoying things people say about readers post on Book Riot - love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO ANNOYING! Why, why do the non-readers have to be like that? lol

      Delete
  5. Your coloring has inspired me! I just signed up for Girls Night In at my local indie bookstore - it'll be a night of coloring and cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT SOUNDS LIKE SO MUCH FUN! Sorry for the screaming, but it does!

      Delete
  6. Coloring + audiobooks = WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing up, I hated my name. It's a boys name, it's in no way pretty (I wanted to rename myself Emma, for what it's worth), and people used to call me roar. However, when I was 16, this lovely show called Gilmore Girls came on and my life changed for the better - Rory became a cool name to have. My teenage self rejoiced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's a great story. And such a fun, readerly Rory to boot!

      Delete
  8. Your coloring is so beautiful!! That's something I've really enjoyed rediscovering since having a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't even thought to undertake it until now. So glad to be back to coloring.

      Delete
  9. You're listening to books? What? When did that happen? *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! I have such a hard time sitting down with a book, I figured I'd listen while I do something with my hands.

      Delete
  10. Loved your Book Riot article about the things people say to readers. Spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally bought a big set of markers for my coloring book! I wanted to get a big set of colored pencils, too, just to have the option, but alas, the craft store only had 12-packs of colored pencils. But I am getting along very nicely with my markers so far. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just bought my first coloring book. I've colored a couple of pages, but I need to work on my technique, I think. Your pages are so beautifully done! Also, I totally love Gilmore Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are TOO good at coloring. I finally bought colored pencils after doing half of the Artful Mandala Coloring Book in marker, but shading is pretty much beyond my artistic skills :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just dropping by to say that you are a coloring GODDESS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just dropping by to say that you are a coloring GODDESS.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik