Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Book of the Month: Not Just a Legend

Growing up, when I heard anything about readers or reading at all, it was often in the context of a nebulous "book of the month" club. I heard it on TV, mostly, since I was something of a couch potato, but somewhere out there was this iconic thing from whence people received books...in the mail! That, too, was a cool idea to my innocent, young self.

Now I'm 30 years older and the book mail is a lot more common for me, but the idea of a Book of the Month is still pretty exciting. Disclaimer: I was able to try out a one-month complimentary subscription of this service in consideration of a review.


Every month, five judges, from a larger pool of judges, choose one recommended book each. Based on a preferences profile, one book is automatically chosen for you, but the service will alert you via email in case you'd like to sneak a peek at your pick, choose something different from the five selections, or add additional titles to your box.

Straight off, I was pretty excited by some of the judges, namely Emily St. John Mandel and Nina Sankovitch; also, one of the most prolific readers I know, Liberty Hardy from Book Riot and the All the Books podcast.

Lo and behold, when it came time to check out which book was chosen for me, it was Liberty's pick...Thank You, Goodnight by Andy Abramowitz. Of the five available books this one seemed like the one I'd enjoy most, so good job of matching me up, Book of the Month.

Shipping was super fast, and I received my hardcover (less than 400 pages, as promised) in a jiffy, and while I haven't read the book yet, I think the service is cool and follows through on its claims.

Price-wise, the service is really reasonable with three available plans:
1-month plan: $16.99
3-month: $39.99 ($13.33 per month)
12-month: $99.99 ($8.33 per month)

In light of the current price of hardcover books, this rocks. I was browsing when we were on vacation recently, and the book I picked up in hardcover (and quickly dropped like it was hot) was $27. Too rich for my blood!

Book of the Month also hosts a community component: message boards where readers can discuss and compare their picks. It's a nice gateway to the larger book community, methinks!

For you and me, those of us who may already be deeply rooted in the online book community, this service is probably not a must-have. But I know plenty of people who lack the mass recommendations we receive, so I can see this being a great gift for someone who's not entrenched in the book world or who isn't already subscribed to a box.

Thanks for letting me try you out, Book of the Month!







13 comments:

  1. Wow - those are some good judges! Glad this worked out for you...will you be continuing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too! I doubt I'll be continuing, only because I've been in such an epic reading slump this year, I know the books would pile up on my shelves for a while. Blah!

      Delete
  2. Hard copy books have gotten so expensive! Looks like a fun service but I imagine those books just piling up on my bookshelf. :( If nothing else..sounds like a great way to learn about new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't they? It's outrageous! And me too re: piling up!

      Delete
  3. I used to belong to the Book of the Month Club years ago. Not sure this is the same company but my beef was the quality of the paper. Cheaper to buy, but nearly all of the books yellowed in some way as they sat on my shelves and the paper was thin and easy to tear. Covers were sort of flimsy too. How was your first book as far as quality goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be a different company. I went back to my book and checked out the quality, and it feels like the standard quality I'd expect from a hardcover.

      Delete
  4. This sounds really fun. I love the idea of someone else picking out books for you and then they just appear at your door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool idea, isn't it??

      Delete
  5. $27! I could go to the all-you-can-eat sushi place for less. Feh.

    This program sounds super cool and reasonably priced. So awesome that you got to try it out for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? That's what I said. Well, not that, but I can relate to that comparison. Ha!

      Delete
  6. This seems like a fun idea, especially with such great judges, but I definitely don't need more books to read, so I don't think I'll ever join a program like this. It's awesome you got to try it out for free though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Super glad to have tried it, but I already have enough books.

      Delete
  7. I love love love the idea of getting a mystery book box. Heck, I get excited when the mailman walks to my door with a book package. I keep trying to guess what book it could be. So I would love to try this service, just not sure now is the right time to try it. Still, I'll be toying with the idea for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik