Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Estella Sparkles: Tips for Long Wearing Summer Makeup

Awww yissss! Summer is winding down, but this is the time in Texas when the heat is most unbearable. When we were on our way back from Gulf Shores a couple of weeks ago, we rolled into our home state to 107-degree weather. Nothing sucks quite as much as 107-degree weather (wait, 114-degree weather sucks more).

I kind of made it my mission to figure out summer makeup this year. Since I've been doing this makeup thing and paying more attention to the state of my skin and whatnot, I have made some strides in being able to get makeup to STAY ON MY FACE. That in itself is a big win.

The Products: 

BB or CC Cream: Ditch the foundation. No matter how much you sheer it out with a sponge or brush, it can get thick and miserable when you sweat. My super fave will always be the Ponds BB+, but it's been discontinued.

In the meantime I'm using a higher-dollar option with It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ with SPF 50. This is a medium coverage (way more coverage than most BBs or CCs) and that SPF is out of this world. While this one is good, it's not "holy grail" since the color is just a tad too light for me, and I have trouble getting all-day wear, but see the next section before you write this one off.

Face Primer: I mentioned up top that I have a hard time getting the BB or CC to stay put. It's not a long-wear foundation...not even close. However, I have found that silicone-based primers do a good job of helping my face makeup stay put in hot weather. Faves include Mirabella Prime for Face and Eyes. This one is pricy ($29), but I received it in a BoxyCharm box, and it's SO GOOD that I would totally buy it.  Even my light BBs and CCs don't go anywhere when I use this, and it does reduce the look of pores and fine lines.

If you're looking for a more cost effective option, try Maybelline Baby Skin ($7). It didn't work as well for me, but it's the same basic type of primer.

Cream or Liquid Blush: It's so much easier to wear light, glowing products in the summer to avoid looking caked up, and that's true of blush as well. Blush is one of my favorite things; I'm a bit of a blush ho if you will, but I wasn't a big fan of Benefit's Benetint until summer rolled around. This seems like a staple all over the beauty world, though, and once I tried it with BB and CC and a lighter face, I fell in love.

It looks terrible...a bright red liquid. Greyson's first reaction was, "Is that blood?" No, son. Anyway, a few swipes down the cheek and blend it in with your finger or a small brush for a beautiful, natural flush.

Finally, the proof is in the pudding, right?

Sorry for not smiling. I was tired and tired.
This is my makeup at 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. I think it looks pretty good for 14 hours of wear!

What are your favorite tricks for summer makeup? If your answer is "just don't wear any," I can get onboard with that as well!


  1. I need some face primer! BTW, can we have a traditional sleepover when I visit and you teach me more of your makeup-guru ways?

  2. I thought those two pics were identical so your no-melt routine is working.

    My trick for summer, and you will laugh, has to do with the restroom. When I hit a public restroom, I use a paper seat cover on my face. Yep! Confession time! It's the same material as high end blotting papers. No joke. I blot as I do my business and I come out looking like a champ. Seriously. You must try it. I only seem to need this during the warmer months but I do it out of habit now and it's amazing how well it works without messing up the makeup.

  3. The shadow and blush stuck like champs! That is some seriously impressive primer.

    The only thing I do lately is slap on some Revlon something-or-other on my lips. I'm digging Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie and Colorburst Balm Stain in Honey. I've noticed that Honey has a tendency to go from pretty pinky-brown-nude to bright pink, for whatever reason. Good thing I don't mind pink lips!

    1. Also, seriously Andi, can't you look a little more engaged? ;)

  4. I am often makeup challenged -- so all tips welcome.

  5. OMG I thought I was the only one in mourning for the Ponds BB+ Cream. It was PERFECTION! I now use the It Cosmetics CC cream but it's not the same. The color is just slightly too light for me, too!

    I've been adding a light layer of finely milled powder over my primer but before the CC cream and it seems to give me longer wear and makes my face look so flawless. I'm loving that for the summer!

  6. Adore face primer. I haven't gotten brave enough to try the Benetint on my cheeks. I do use it on my lips though as a stain!

  7. I like L'oreal's True Match Lumi. It works both in the dry climate of California and the heat and humidity of Singapore!

  8. If makeup can last even a few hours in the kind of climate in which we live (Texas, Florida, you know, hot and huuuuuumid) then I consider it a win. But 14 hours?! NICE.


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik