Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sunday Brain Dump: The School Days Edition

Whoa, whoa, whoaaaa changes! It's happening, folks. The countdown to Greyson's first day of kindergarten has begun.

Dapper as can be. 


Friday was G's last day at the university children's learning center. While I've had hell with these people (you know if you follow me on Twitter or Facebook), I did get a little teary when his teachers hugged him, told him they loved him, and wished him well.

Tomorrow is his first day at a daycare here in town, just a few blocks from our house, where he'll spend a few hours after school each day. We decided to let him spend this week getting to know everyone before school starts on August 24. I've known the owners my entire life (quite literally), so I hope it'll be a smooth transition.

Meet the Teacher night! This coming Thursday! We get to learn our way around and drop off school supplies.

I've been online this morning investigating "real food" lunches from 100 Days of Real Food. Greyson has elected to carry a lunchbox (we'll see how long that lasts when he sees the steak fingers and pizza), so I'm hoping to amass a list of lunch items that extends beyond sandwich, chips, and something desert'ish. So far I've logged 58 possibilities that do not suck.

People have been asking me, "Are you going to cry on this first day of school?" And the answer is, I don't really know. I'm not at all worried about him making friends or being comfortable. The kiddo is super adaptable and a definite "people person," but it's hard in other ways.

Itty bitty. When we first started our commute together.


Greyson started at the children's learning center at the university when he was two, so for the last three years we have had a 30-minute commute each way every day. I've had a chirpy, mostly happy car buddy for three years, and the fact that we won't get to talk on the way to and from school every day does make me sad. Up side: I can turn on the radio or listen to an audiobook, but I'd much rather hear things like, "GREAT WHITE SHARKS hunt little fish to cuddle in the morning."

Loves some sharks. 


Let's be real...it doesn't get much cuter than that.




17 comments:

  1. I cried when Vance went to kindergarten but we lived in France and he was headed into a class that was being taught in a language he was just learning. I was worried to death but it didn't bother him. Riding in the car is the best time to talk to kids so you will miss that but I'm sure Greyson will love kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely miss those commutes. I love it that Vance just rolled with the punches, even in a French school! They're so adaptable at this age.

      Delete
  2. May I just say that Kathy is right about car time and talking to kids? I think that extends all the way until they are teens. Sometimes, it's the only time you have with them and the only time you can talk about certain things.

    Kindergarten - a big transition and it will be wonderful I'm sure. You'll be proud and sad and happy and, and, and....enjoy, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! We have to snatch up those talking time whenever we can. :)

      Delete
  3. After everything that happened at the last place, I hope he (and you) have a much better experience with this new place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Gawd, I hope so, too! lol At least he'll only be there in the afternoons. God bless his kindergarten teacher.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely checking out those lunch options.... for myself. I am so burnt out on packing my own lunch, and we've only been back a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me toooo! I've been making a concerted effort to carry my breakfast and lunch to work because a) it's so much healthier and b) it's so much cheaper! I'm definitely inspired now.

      Delete
  5. My goodness, he is an absolute cutie, Andi. I hope you will keep us updated on all of the big things happening in the next few weeks!

    Sending a varied lunch can certainly be an adventure! D did ask to buy lunch a few times but he figured out pretty quickly that waiting in line cut into the time he could spend with his friends. Now getting him to take something other than a cream cheese sandwich (yup, I know) is a whole other story...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg he looks so much like you! What a charming little cutie! Best of luck on his (and your!) new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a big boy! I trust that he will have a fabulous time at school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren also starts Kindergarten this year. I did no cry for either of the boys, but I suspect I'll be a mess on Thursday. She will be the literal youngest in her class- her birthday is the LAST DAY before the cut off. I think she'll be fine, but she will look so young compared to the others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I feel your pain...and excitement. I have a junior high kid now and a senior!! I had an anxiety attack on FB for her first day of junior high and now I am over it. Senior year will be interesting with college stuff and everything else that comes with it. I am so glad you shared the lunch site because I had planned for the girl to buy lunch. She always has but in junior high the girls apparently bring lunch so now I am tapped for ideas since she only has so much room in her bag and cannot carry a lunch box (not cool).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn it, if you don't cry I WILL. My sweet Greyson going to school! It's almost as bad as Ellie starting Middle School!!! T.T

    ReplyDelete
  11. D'aww, he looks just like you! I hope your little buddy loves his new school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you will meet that time together! But that look on his face says he is ready for this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sobbed with Connor but wept silent tears with Holly. You just can't help it because you know that it really is the next stepping stone to the rest of their life.

    Now, Connor will be a junior this year, and I'm already wondering how I am going to get through his last year of high school. It's the same feeling all over again. You are excited for them but aren't quite ready to let them go just yet. You'll make it through this first year. Plus, you might not have the commute, but you will still have to hear all of the school stories from him every evening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik